Does the menopause affect blood sugar levels?

cleo82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to control effects of stress on blood sugars
Hi Primmers,

I''m not sure about the real menopause and will let someone more knowledgable answer on that one but had a chemically-induced once for 6 months and found my sugars ran a little higher than normal. However, I spoke to someone else in the same situation who had nothing but hypos!

I find any change in your hormones can affect your blood sugar levels so, if you're taking HRT, that may affect your sugars too. If you're trying different ones, note these in your blood sugar diary so you can track any trends.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
HI, not sure if this helps? I was actually diagnosed diabetic type2 during my menopause and was told it was a contributory factor n was midlife onset diabetes. And I thought my thyroid had 'bombed again' which it had ! plus a Hba1c of 9.7... So it was shock to hear n discover this... then gp went up on the thyroxine meds plus reveiw on my menopause n meds plus new start n life changing journey with diabetes. Have noticed if am having hot flushes n feel drained YES my BS shoot skywards.... mite be hormones??? Any help? Anna.

jopar

Yes it does..

Any change in hormone levels the blood glucose responds to some degree..

It happen's every day with any diabetic with our normal daily hormonal cycle, Some hardly have an impact while others it does.. Dawn P is your blood glucose levels reacting to the increase in hormone levels that get us up and going during the day.. We test around 3am overnight because this is the time on adverage that a personal hormone activity is at it's lowest ebb..

Many females of child bearing age, we see their bg/control shift as they go through the monthy cycle into their periods..

Teenagers react to their changing hormones as the go through pubety..

Then again when you hit menopause...

It is mainly due to changing hormone levels that over the years we have to change our regimes.

dorcas61

Dislikes
Bad manners, bullying
primmers said:
Thanks for that, more fun and games to look forward to :lol:

Menopause, Diabetes, retirement - life's just a whole bundle of laughs, innit? :lol:

EllieJ

I have just been for my checkup today and was shocked that my HBA1C is higher than it's ever been in 14 years . Have been searching online to try & understand why. . . . . . I think I may have found it!! Thanks

nirishdaisy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Don't know if it's just co-incidence or not. I had Impaired Glucose Tolerance for over 8 years, so had checks to test my blood sugar levels at different times over those years. It was only when I reached the menopause that I was actually diagnosed with diabetes. :roll:

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
I haven't seen any research papers, but just my opinion -- i would not be surprised because it is a stage of aging, and the muscle/fat ration starts changing drastically. I asked for HRT, but for some reason did not get it. Maybe there are interactions or risks like heart disease according to the Big Estrogen tests run mostly by women in the 80s.

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
Yes it It deff does affect Mine :mrgreen:
My Wife or should i say WE are going though the Menopause :cry:

[youtube]8Il2UxaVqVY[/youtube]

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
LOL - MENO RAGE! 'I have become Man'.

Lmason

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, new to this, just coming to beginning or the end of menopause.
My BS are completely out of control hypos and hypers.
This really gets me down
Any help out there, do not want to go on HRT, take enough meds already
Please help x

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, new to this, just coming to beginning or the end of menopause.
My BS are completely out of control hypos and hypers.
This really gets me down
Any help out there, do not want to go on HRT, take enough meds already
Please help x

As I understand it oestrogen levels can play havoc with blood sugar though there is some debate as to whether high levels increase or decrease insulin sensitivity. Certainly in my case lower levels of oestrogen lead to higher bs so I remain open to the possibility of HRT when the time comes. The problem in the early stages of menopause (or perimenopause as its called) is that oestrogen levels are all over the place - peaking & then dropping through the floor seemingly from hour to hour - so a balanced HRT regime can be impossible to achieve.

It could (I stress could) be that your BS lows are caused by oestrogen peaks & your BS highs are caused by the drops. Have you had your hormones tested? This too can be tricky as the peaks/drops can be hard to catch but consensus seems to be that if you're still having periods then it's best to do tests on day 3 of your cycle & that you may require more than one of these tests as levels will vary from month to month. Others suggest that you get FSH (follicle stimulating hormone) tested on both day 3 & day 14 of your cycle, luteinizing hormone tested on day 14 & estradiol on day 3.

I know you don't want HRT (though it may be worth just discussing the gentler forms with your Doctor) but if you could get a clearer picture of where your oestrogen levels are you may be able to adjust your diet & exercise regime a bit to help even things out.