Think Again.

ivm18

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Living in a third world country having a chronic diseases is like death sentence.Have you experienced falling in line just to have a single dose of your life line? (insulin) or you don't even have your own BG meter? How about test supply? have you tried using one lancet for 3 days in a row just to save a dollar or a pound because you don't have food on your table?
My son was recently diagnosed 2 months ago, and I thank God that we're able to provide his medicine and meter supply, but I pity my fellow countrymen especially the young ones who doesn't have enough to sustain their medical needs.
If you think you're unlucky having this disease
but you, your family and your government provide some
assistance with your needs,
THINK AGAIN!
THERE ARE THOUSAND OF YOUNGS AND ADULT WHO JUST DIED FROM THIS DISEASE WITHOUT HAVING PROPER MEDICATION. SOME NOT EVEN DIAGNOSED.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hello, regarding your post I am aware of how difficult and how dangerous it can be to some ones health, living in a third world country.

Regards and best wishes RRB

ivm18

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't know RRB, sometimes I feel guilty because here I am, having so much support from my family and friends and still I feel angry and sad for my son's illness. I did quiet few researches regarding type 1 diabetes here in our country, to my surprise our government is deaf and blind with this disease. Thankful that there are few NGO's whose main purpose is to make awareness and give some help to people whose no means for providing their medicines and supplies. I've recently had a talk to a mom of diabetic 9 yr.old girl, and she told me that they doesn't have a glucometer more so those meter strips and all. I asked how come they were able to check her daughter's BG she just shook her head and told me they'd just guess her level accdg.on how her daughters feels each day.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I don't know RRB, sometimes I feel guilty because here I am, having so much support from my family and friends and still I feel angry and sad for my son's illness. I did quiet few researches regarding type 1 diabetes here in our country, to my surprise our government is deaf and blind with this disease. Thankful that there are few NGO's whose main purpose is to make awareness and give some help to people whose no means for providing their medicines and supplies. I've recently had a talk to a mom of diabetic 9 yr.old girl, and she told me that they doesn't have a glucometer more so those meter strips and all. I asked how come they were able to check her daughter's BG she just shook her head and told me they'd just guess her level accdg.on how her daughters feels each day.

It is very sad and we have members here from other parts of the world who have been in a similar position. It's shameful and frustrating that we, are all in the 21st century, whereas others countries are still in the Victorian times. I know it can be caused by many things, but still sad that millions and millions have to suffer every day.

Best wishes RRB

Reactions: 2 people

ivm18

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
for many who has this disease it's still the 'dark age' for them, limited to no access to medicine at all.

Ramroum

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I guess I can relate to the way you feel. Last year I was living in Africa where my husband works specifically kano Nigeria. My son started showing signs of diabetes and I had to call a doctor abroad because we did not have credible doctors around. It was probably the worst week of my life. All we had available was a pharmacy and a lab. I took him for a urine test and they told me he needed a blood test. His sugar was 779. No one could help us. The pharmacy gave him rapid insulin 6 units for the first time in his life and told us to go abroad for medication. WE were the fortunate ones to be able to do so. Although we flew from state to state to get an international flight out of the country where we were able to get medical assistance. I always think about this. About a lot of the less fortunate ppl. I try to help anywhere I feel I can. I met a lady few weeks ago, her daughter is 5 years old with type 1. She doesn't have a glucose meter. They go to a neighbor every day to test twice a day until their neighbor eventually couldn't afford to keep providing them with strips. Anyway I got her a meter and promised to provide some financial assistance every month. It's sad. Anyway I no longer live in Nigeria because it is impossible for my son to school there let alone no proper medical care. I think developed countries should pressure those underdeveloped countries to at least provide awareness and some sort of support. We are lucky thank god but it doesn't take away the pain that our kid happen to have DT1. And to think of all the other underprivileged kids hurts more. Too bad developed countries are more interested in wars than an anything else.

Reactions: 4 people

ivm18

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Sad but true.
Maybe all we can do as a private citizen is to reach out to other people with chronic illness and extend all the possible help we could give, big or small means a lot.
Thank you Ramroum.
Regards to you and your son, hope he's doing very well.

all the best,
ivm18

Reactions: 2 people