Cheapest over the counter glucose test strips?

dnl.phillips

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello. I am an American currently living in italy. I am having trouble (surprise surprise) getting my insurance company to reimburse me for diabetic supplies that I purchase in europe. I'm currently paying over 60 euros for each tube of 50 accucheck aviva test strips and I know I can't keep that up. Id rather just find a cheaper version and pay out of pocket until I can get back to the states and stock up. Any systems you would suggest that I may be able to find here in rome or order on the uk/it version of Amazon? Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello. I am an American currently living in italy. I am having trouble (surprise surprise) getting my insurance company to reimburse me for diabetic supplies that I purchase in europe. I'm currently paying over 60 euros for each tube of 50 accucheck aviva test strips and I know I can't keep that up. Id rather just find a cheaper version and pay out of pocket until I can get back to the states and stock up. Any systems you would suggest that I may be able to find here in rome or order on the uk/it version of Amazon? Any help would be appreciated.
You could have a look on Amazon, or eBay for that matter, and see what you find. Some people here talk of buying Aviva strips from both, but I have no experience of that. This site also had a shop, but I have no idea how competitive their pricing structure is.

Many of we T2s buy a brand called Codefree from the UK distributed Homehealth, who give us excellent service; and these are the cheapest strips I, personally, know of : http://www.homehealth-uk.com/medical/blood_glucose_monitor_testing.htm Looking at their site, they do do overseas orders, via airmail, and appear to allow you to pay in Sterling, US$ or €. The Codefree strips are about,$11-12 for 50, although you would need to buy a compatible meter starter kit at around US$20, including a handful of strips.

The distributor so a very customer focused firm, so you could maybe call them, on Skype, and discuss how practical it would be?

I'm sure someone will be along with another view shortly, but good luck getting those costs down. That's crippling!

Reactions: 2 people

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I live in Turkey. I bought a CodeFree meter after reading these forums, and buy the strip packs (50 per pack) five at a time. They are cheap as chips. I am sure you can buy them in Italy too. Here in Turkey they are also available on prescription to anyone with a residence permit/work permit. I cross checked the CodeFree with an Accuchek meter and a Freestyle meter and got more consistent readings from the CodeFree.

kcbones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Soap Operas, Game shows, Reallity TV
I have been buying mine from the diabetes.co.uk/shop. I have just bought a pack of 50 and a pack of lancets, even with the p&p it was less than £25, (around 30 euros).

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I have been buying mine from the diabetes.co.uk/shop. I have just bought a pack of 50 and a pack of lancets, even with the p&p it was less than £25, (around 30 euros).

The pack of 50 test strips is £7.99 on e-bay with 'free' click and collect at Argos.