The food programme Radio 4

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes, I certainly don't eat vast amounts of carbs just for the sake of it, or follow those high recommendations of lots of bread, etc. I tend to eat what I would have eaten if I didn't get diabetes because that seems sensible to me and keeps my weight at a normal level.

I have a fast metabolism, and I think that if I didn't eat any/many carbs I'd lose too much weight, even with extra fat. I did once try a health diet that happened to be low carb, high fat, and I lost too much weight.

As I say, we all have to do what's best for us as individuals. One size doesn't fit all.

But I will say that the key to carb-eating, if people choose to do that, is having the correct dose of insulin at the correct time. Many times the newly-diagnosed, myself included all those years ago, follow the 'right' dose of insulin rather than adjusting it to the dose that works. I'm happy to experiment and get things right so I can, if I choose, eat whatever carbs I want (within reason, of course!).

Reactions: 2 people

stuffedolive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Daily Mail, you know the sort
The Food Programme on Radio 4 this afternoon was discussing diet and diabetes http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05rl3jb

Those nice people from Diabetes UK were telling everyone that evidence for the efficacy of a LCHF diet was based on short term small scale research, its negative health implications are therefore unknown and thus did not challenge their DUK existing advice for diabetics of a well balanced diet that included carbs (and sugar).

Hmph! Well I for one was on a progressively downhill trend of poorer Hba1c results and cholesterol medication until I discovered LCHF. However, individual experiences, however many there are, count for nothing.

EDIT.... oops, just noticed that this has been discussed in the Diabetes Discussions forum.... sorry!

Last edited by a moderator:

Amethyst579

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks for flagging this up - I didn't know this programme was on this afternoon, I'll have a listen.

Suercc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have emailed the programme and suggest as many of us as possible do the same.

Reactions: 2 people

JAY1JAY1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
I missed it andfrom the reactions I've heard I think I'm glad I did:facepalm:

PhilT

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Car crash radio. I think it was about 20 minutes into a half hour programme before the presenter (not the "experts") even used the word carbohydrate.

Way too much emphasis on "sugar". I also think we seriously need different words for T1 and T2 to have any sensible public debate.

pshuttle

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes and it's complications
I have emailed the programme and suggest as many of us as possible do the same.
I emailed them immediately after listening to the program.