When do u monitor + hi's and lo's + carb types

joules

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Autoimmune issues
Before breakfast, my blood sugar was at 7mmol. I then ate 2 pieces of Vogal toast, with 2 eggs, broccoli with a little Hollandaise source. 2 hours later, my blood sugar is 13mmol. I expect that my sugars will reduce within the next 1.5 hours and do not think that it is good to run ups and down like this.

So, what do people do that want ultimate levels to eliminate secondary issues as I am under the impression that sugars popping up like this is unhealthy.

I have just received this book "Thinking like a pancreas", in hope that it will shed light on this. It's a fat book and will need time...

Please share your thoughts on all this as I already have retinopathy and want to reverse this.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
If that's correct, then it won't be the eggs or the broccoli. It has to be the bread or the sauce, I would seriously review your carb intake if you are spiking that high after 2hours.
To be in control, your blood glucose levels should be no more than 2mmols higher than your pre meal reading.

joules

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Autoimmune issues
... and exclude certain foods that peak?

I think insulin 3:1 is more important in the morning for me with this bread. it contains nuts etc and I don't think that what is stated is the right content!

Am going to get a monitor stuck onto my belly at the end of the week to check all this as it's all a tad bazaar

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
A T1 will have to answer that.
But all carbs turn into glucose and the insulin you use is to counter the high spikes.
So even taking the insulin into the equation you are still spiking too high.
All diabetics need to cut carbs and sugars to reduce there hba1c.

joules

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Autoimmune issues
Agreed. There's certainly some good and bad carbs out there :(

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think that the book will help you immensely. When you are using injected insulin you have to be aware (as you seem to be) that the insulin action is prolonged. It will still be working for a couple more hours so you have to take that into account.
A rise from 7-13mmol/l though is too high.(unless you are a toddler) Have a look at this article by Scheiner, the author of Think LIke a Pancreas , it may help you think about the various issues.http://www.diabetesselfmanagement.c...blood-glucose-management/strike-the-spike-ii/

I would also record menus and look for patterns. Personally, I need to take into account eggs when I bolus. There are many threads on here about insulin and protein. Anecdotally there are some people that find eggs need a little insulin (and some that don't ; we all have our own idiosyncrasies.
It will certainly help to have some input from a CGM ( I think that's the monitor you mention) .
One thing that struck me:
Nothing works well if you haven't got your basal and ratios correct. I would look at basal testing. Your pre meal reading was at the top of the range, but your bolus ratio is high.
According to a website Vogel bread has 16.7 carb per slice ie 33.4 carbs for the two. At 1unit to 2g carb (is that really what you mean?) then you will have taken as much insulin for one meal as your total basal. That seems lopsided . I take about 45% basal ,55% bolus and I don't particularly restrict carbs; a low carber might have a higher percentage of basal and a lower percentage bolus

@nosher8355
I can't accept that all diabetics need to cut their carbs to achieve a good HbA1c. Whether anyone ' needs' to reduce them, or change their type will depend on what they ate before[type] and what their activity levels are at the moment[amount] ) .
It's 10 years this month since diagnosis My endo congratulated me today on my consistent results over that time. My carb and calorie intake have varied considerably depending on what I've been doing. Training for a marathon or backpacking then carb and calories go up . When backpacking I end up eating large amounts of carbs. Sitting on my backside at the computer, I need less fuel and have to take that into account.
The purpose of injected insulin is to replace non existent endogenous insulin and allow the body to function .(insulin has many roles) One could say it's most crucial purpose in type one is to prevent DKA and death (reducing carbs won't prevent this,it might delay it. There are malnourished people in developing countries diagnosed with low/normal blood glucose and DKA)
What we need to learn to do is to adapt the use of insulin to a healthy lifestyle

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks @phoenix, I'm not as clued up on T1s as I should be, it's really weird to me that you can have a 'normal' diet, depending on your activity etc.

We all live and learn.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Think like a pancreas is good. Take a good read of it.

T1's do not have to low carb.. Although the fewer the carbs, the less insulin, the less room for spikes and drops.

Totally agree with @phoenix posting.. And it is the spikes or drops that you need to reduce.

Are you confident at altering basals and bolus doses snd ratio's?

As a rule of thumb 2-3 hours after a bolus and you go hugh or low then it is your bolus. However, if you peak and then are dropping dramatically afterwards that would to me indicate that your basal is possibly incorrect.

Are you aware of basal testing?

joules

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Autoimmune issues
This is brilliant thank you @phoenix . Same thing happened this morning where I had 12u novorapid for 2 pieces of vogal toast that had tuna/mayonnaise in (assuming 3g + 27g = 30g carbs).
My blood sugar prior to eating at 07:00 was 4.8mmol and had 12u novorapid at 07.15 and ate at 07.35. My sugars at 10am was 11.4mmol + I took a light 15minute cycle ride. There are a great number of nuts in this bread and the carb content is 13.8g per slice. I have always seemed to have issues with post morning sugars spiking, which I must deteriorate. Then blood sugar levels were then 6.4mmol at 11.30am
Do you think that the insulin is perhaps not fast acting enough despite the time I administer it?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I think you have Dawn Phenomenen. Have you tried skipping breakfast and seeing what happens to your levels without eating? You still test at least every 2 hours. Its called basal testing.

joules

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Autoimmune issues
If i don't eat breakfast my sugar levels stay the same, so my back ground insulin is good. Maybe it's this insulin not working for me first thing...

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
If i don't eat breakfast my sugar levels stay the same, so my back ground insulin is good. Maybe it's this insulin not working for me first thing...
At leadt thats 1/2 way to solving the problem! One thing ruled out!!

joules

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Autoimmune issues
I just returned from the dietician. She said that I insulin resistant first thing. Also, "it is normal for type 1 diabetics to run high in between meals and everyone is different coping with carbs and insulin".

I am now convinced that I need a low carb diet in order to avoid these spikes. Any suggestions on this would be great :)