App Idea

connie52

I am a type 1 diabetic and have an idea for an app. I experienced a severe night time hypo but fortunately I was not at home alone and was helped by my family and paramedics. I now live alone and I have a system that I text my daughter every morning so that she knows I'm ok. I would like to give her a rest and looked into whether there were any apps that I could use but haven't found anything. Basically my idea is that you would set when you were going to swipe into the app be it in a daily basis or however many times a day you wanted to and then if you didn't swipe in then you would be given an alarm and if you didn't respond then, then your emergency contact person would be alerted. I think that an app like this would give peace of mind to families of young people and also the diabetic themselves. I have called the Diabetic Association and they weren't interested. Has anyone any advice about how an app like this could be set up?

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Connie, as you obviously know, when things go wrong your blood sugars can change very quickly, how often do you think people will sign in, every day, every hour?

And if you had a problem after just signing in, you could then wait another hour before the emergency contact person knows there's a problem and you're in a diabetic coma already. And what if your emergency contact person is away from the phone or in an area with a poor mobile signal?

Sorry, hope you don't think me uncaring, but I just don't see this app really helping anybody at the critical time.