Jacket potato

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thought I'd experoment with a jacket potato, it's the one thing that makes a sald really enjoyable for me! It was a very large spud, nearly 500g, so I had a half, with lots of butter and cheese on with a green salad, beetroot and mayo..
One hour later, no change in BG.
Two hours later, still no change!
Will test again in an hour, keeping fingers tightly crossed!

Reactions: 6 people

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Three hours later and I've gone down by 2.0, that's 2 less than I was before dinner!
Can't believe I can really have this again, so will test in another hour. Although I think potato usually raises BG a lot quicker than, say, wholewheat bread?

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Four hours and BG has gone back up 1.0. Daft! Will try again tomorrow with the other half.

scottish-jim

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Your blood sugar performance is really interesting and, depending on how you get on with the other half, is a bit inspiring with your food experiments.

I now have a craving for a baked potato :)

Oh interesting as your bloods are the more important question is: Was it nice?

Reactions: 2 people

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It was heavenly! lots of butter and cheese on top and back in the oven till browned :D

Slight problem maybe, my fasting BG this morning was 13.2, highest it's been for weeks! Could that still be an effect of the potato after that many hours?

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
It was heavenly! lots of butter and cheese on top and back in the oven till browned :D

Slight problem maybe, my fasting BG this morning was 13.2, highest it's been for weeks! Could that still be an effect of the potato after that many hours?
Yes

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I thought the rise with spuds was quick, and I'd had little change in 4 hours. How does it raise it so high 14 hours later?:confused:

Simon84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I thought the rise with spuds was quick, and I'd had little change in 4 hours. How does it raise it so high 14 hours later?:confused:

its cos u smothered it in butter n cheese,,the fat slowed the sugars rise down but itll always catch up with ya eventually

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
its cos u smothered it in butter n cheese,,the fat slowed the sugars rise down but itll always catch up with ya eventually

Oh, thanks :(
So it looks as if spuds are still out.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I also think your modified plumbing could be in play here, and I would suggest, if you can afford it, you do some testing much longer than the standard 2 hours. Irrespective that the replumb should mean a faster digestion, I wouldn't take anything for granted.

Even with "standard" plumbing, I find my system takes quite a long time to deal with pasta. It's one of the reasons I am curious to try the Freestyle Libre.

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I also think your modified plumbing could be in play here, and I would suggest, if you can afford it, you do some testing much longer than the standard 2 hours. Irrespective that the replumb should mean a faster digestion, I wouldn't take anything for granted.

Even with "standard" plumbing, I find my system takes quite a long time to deal with pasta. It's one of the reasons I am curious to try the Freestyle Libre.

That's why I tested 4 times after the spud, couldn't quite believe there'd been so little change, but then it was time for bed. I remember when I had the baked beans, or it might have been the macaroni chesse, my BG carried on going up for hours afterwards, so I was waiting for that last night.

I've left it till now to start experimenting again because i wanted to get my levels down to near normal, hoping I might be able to tolerate some of my favourite stuff again, but it's not looking hopeful.
Not tried rice yet but I'm thinking it probably won't be any good either.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's why I tested 4 times after the spud, couldn't quite believe there'd been so little change, but then it was time for bed. I remember when I had the baked beans, or it might have been the macaroni chesse, my BG carried on going up for hours afterwards, so I was waiting for that last night.

I've left it till now to start experimenting again because i wanted to get my levels down to near normal, hoping I might be able to tolerate some of my favourite stuff again, but it's not looking hopeful.
Not tried rice yet but I'm thinking it probably won't be any good either.

I don't appear to do too badly with rice, but a T1, with a really excellent handle on things, who started using the Libre, found he was actually getting two rises with rice, over a protracted period Once almost straight away, then a dip back (which he thought was the end of the blood action), but then it went up again almost 5 hours later! His hypothesis was the first rise was tempered by the inclusion of the fat, which when at its fullest impact led to the drop back, then the full impact of the rice took over.

Clearly without a CGM, there are some things we'll never know, and to be honest, my HbA1cs have been very good, so any such double whammies don't appear to be hurting the longer term results. But, in the interests of my own understanding, I'm looking forward to trying the Libre for myself.