Newly diagnosed T2

chris270181

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Hiall been lurking for 2 weeks gathering info .

2 weeks ago I had some results come back from a routine blood test and was told I have developed diabetes.

Im 34 yo 6FT and weigh 13stn 10.
My diet was poor before very poor high sugar high carb huge portioms etc. Any way my test came back at 19.4 mmol then in the surgery monday the 13th finger prick test was 29. That said was sent on my merry way told to come back following morning to see a nurse.

Next morning went in saw nurse another finger prick test 16.8 mmol.
So was given a prescription for metformin500mg and 40mg zircon.
Also a glucose monitor and testing strips. ..
Then I started researching and found this place started low carbing might I add my bs as been around 5 to 7 as an average over the last week . But I also wrongly or rightly stopped taking the meds after a couple of days mainly so I could monitor if my diet and exercise is working and so far it does. Still new to all this though so any advice much appreciated and welcomed.
So today my dr rang with my Hba1c results and I knew it would be high it was 91 eek.

She asked how I was I replied fine and what my current readings habe been I told her and she said thats wonderful ... the medication is working well . I then preceded to tell her I stopped taking it over a week ago due to wanting to control it with diet and exercise. . She said absolutely not and must start taking my meds again? Am I missing something? I thought if my levels were controlled I would stay offtablets and use diet and excercise?
So now I dont know what to do I thought I was doing well but apparently not .. my highest reading as been 9.1 in the last week 1 hour after eating and that was a carby meal as im still learning the foods and what not but all the my other readings have been below 7.7.

Really would appreciate any advise many thanks
Oh and sorry about the long post and spelling using my old s2 with a dodgy screen

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
we can't give medical advice and your HCP knows your medical history.

if it was me. I'd take metformin because it's good for me anyway . google: other benefits
you bloods are very good for 2 weeks and I found will get even better as the low carb settles the insulin resistance

Reactions: 2 people

chris270181

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the reply, I wasnt asking for medical advice as such more as a what would you do. I will have a look at the other benefits.

I never take tablets not even for headaches so suppose I'm a little paranoid of side effects and what not.

If im honest the service from the drs so far as been very poor and if it hadn't been for this place I dont know what id of done
Cheers
Chris

sugerless

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Chris I am diabetic type 2. I was 22 glucose reading when diagnosed plus lots of ketones!. I was told to go home stick to bland food and drink a lot of water. I had to go back next day for blood test. Have been on glicazide for 2 weeks and my levels came down. But was told now not down enough and told to take 1 glicazide and metformin then my blood glucose was too low at times!. Am now on metformin only and diet. Levels seem ok a mo, trial and error I suppose. ! Keep smiling. . THIS SITE IS HELPFUL.

Reactions: 3 people

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the reply, I wasnt asking for medical advice as such more as a what would you do. I will have a look at the other benefits.

I never take tablets not even for headaches so suppose I'm a little paranoid of side effects and what not.

If im honest the service from the drs so far as been very poor and if it hadn't been for this place I dont know what id of done
Cheers
Chris
Hello and welcome Chris! You are not alone in saying about not knowing what you would have done without this forum, everything I know now and what I have achieved comes from the excellent advice, information and support here!! I think you need to start your meds at least, change and control your diet, add some exercise.....many of us have been able to then come off meds. Keep posting and asking questions- it's how you learn!

Pip_Morton

Hi Chris I was diagnosed 6 months ago and have blood tests every 2 months. Last test caused a reduction in metformin to 500 once a day which is brilliant, it seemed to me that bloods tell all. Still early days! Do you have a designated nurse? I have found mine invaluable as have already seen diatecian etc

chris270181

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
No, no designated nurse as yet, sort of self managed at min just from lots of reading on here. I'm active anyway so have upped my excercise a little just to keep 1 step ahead

I had a 2hr post meal reading this eve of 5.8 mmol so everything seems to have a settled right down. I have decided to carry on with the metformin after reading up on it again no info from the drs.

The main change as I said is my diet although active I was a sugar factory infact with researching the lchf I cant actually believe what I was eating and was oblivious. ..

Thats hindsight I suppose.
Thanks for replies

Emjay1581

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Chris I am diabetic type 2. I was 22 glucose reading when diagnosed plus lots of ketones!. I was told to go home stick to bland food and drink a lot of water. I had to go back next day for blood test. Have been on glicazide for 2 weeks and my levels came down. But was told now not down enough and told to take 1 glicazide and metformin then my blood glucose was too low at times!. Am now on metformin only and diet. Levels seem ok a mo, trial and error I suppose. ! Keep smiling. . THIS SITE IS HELPFUL.

Glad to hear Some1 else with high ketone at time of diagnoses. My nurse has had me in a ball of nerves as being diagnosed by the Dr as type 2, the nurse thinks I might be type 1, due to the high ketones and "sudden onset"

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
we need to say that as the site frowns on it.
No, no designated nurse as yet, sort of self managed at min just from lots of reading on here. I'm active anyway so have upped my excercise a little just to keep 1 step ahead

I had a 2hr post meal reading this eve of 5.8 mmol so everything seems to have a settled right down. I have decided to carry on with the metformin after reading up on it again no info from the drs.

The main change as I said is my diet although active I was a sugar factory infact with researching the lchf I cant actually believe what I was eating and was oblivious. ..

Thats hindsight I suppose.
Thanks for replies
I would also ask the Dr if it could have been something else that triggered high blood glucose because those numbers are maybe too good. pancreatitis or another gland having a hiccup. I would ask to see an endo.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperglycemia

chris270181

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
I asked that as I noticed they stabilized pretty quickly , I ve been testing at spurious times and since sat 18th ive been in single figures albeit one rogue 13.3 but an immediate retest showed a 9.2 then follow on hour later 7.9 .

Dr said he was sure it was diabetes im back in 2 weeks so will ask some more questions then

Cheers

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I was the same .... ditched the tablets but too soon I think.
Three a day to none.
Did work for a while but it was a little unstable so I started taking one a day .... I now have two a day and all's pretty ship shape.
There will be a next time but I've decided I have to go a good few months before that happens then see how it goes.

chris270181

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Fasting blood this morning 5.5mmol
Going to start the metformin again today

chris270181

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Thats the lowest fasting level I've had so far average over a week has been around 6.7