Couple of questions

Mrsmac247

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello everyone, I have a few questions I'm wondering if you could help me with, I have so many each day (day 4 diagnosed) but an trying to ration them lol

Hour do you dispose of your testing needless, I gave ordered my kit but an wondering how everyone disposes if the used needless?

We are having meatballs tonight for dinner and usually use a sauce like dolmio or passers with garlic and herbs, is the passers still ok when low carbing?

Are there ANY regular yoghurts that I can eat aside from plain unsweetened yoghurt with no fruit bits for eg can i eat activia, Muller corner etc?

Thank you:)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
A Sharps Bin, you can get them on prescription or buy them yourself.

Herbs are fine.

I like the plain Greek Yogurts, you could add some berries to the yogurt to sweeten things up.

Reactions: 2 people

Mrsmac247

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When you say herbs do you mean without sauce or passata or is it ok to add my own to the passata as I assume traditional domlmio type sauces are out?

Thank you I shall get a sharps bun off ebay

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello everyone, I have a few questions I'm wondering if you could help me with, I have so many each day (day 4 diagnosed) but an trying to ration them lol

Hour do you dispose of your testing needless, I gave ordered my kit but an wondering how everyone disposes if the used needless?

We are having meatballs tonight for dinner and usually use a sauce like dolmio or passers with garlic and herbs, is the passers still ok when low carbing?

Are there ANY regular yoghurts that I can eat aside from plain unsweetened yoghurt with no fruit bits for eg can i eat activia, Muller corner etc?

Personally, I don't use a sharps bin. I (and many others) don't change the needle in my finger pricked every time I test. Clearly that's a statement of my actions, not necessarily recommending you do the same.

When I change the sharp, I use the little bobble end from the new sharp as a "cap" for the one I am disposing of. I stick it, right to the hilt (the plastic is soft, so there's no effort), and it stays there. I then just pop it into the bin. If there's a tin can, bottle, or other semi closed receptical in there, I might choose to drop it in there, but to be honest, I see very little risk from a single sharp, of that size, in a load of refuse. If I changed several times a day, I'm certain I would use the same policy.

My OH disposes of his disposable razors in a similar fashion (cover the blade, then drop into our standard rubbish bin), and I probably see as much risk, if not more, in that, but we don't seem driven to purchase special bins for those.

Obviously, that's just my 2p worth, but trying to keep thing in perspective (for me), and trying to minimise the intrusion T2 has on my day to day life.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
When you say herbs do you mean without sauce or passata or is it ok to add my own to the passata as I assume traditional domlmio type sauces are out?

I would check the carb content first and try and find the lowest if your following a low-carb diet, but your postpradial bg readings will say for sure if you can handle these type of sauces or not.

You could on the other-hand make your own sauce, I'm sure they'll be some recipe for one somewhere on the forum or on the net.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The pasta sauces you get in the shops are typically quite high carb (sometimes shockingly so). You coukd make your own tomato sauce with a tin of tomatoes plus garlic, onions, herbs, etc.

I do on occasion eat the shop-bought sauces but I have to have extra insulin for the sauce ( I have Type 1 diabetes).

Also, watch how much pasta you have. What might look like a perfectly normal portion can have a lot of carbs in, which can affect your blood sugar. You may want to have less pasta than normal and fill up on veg or salad or meat.

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
Some local Councils will provide them free of charge and also collect a full one and replace it with a new one.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

When I do meatballs I usually make my own sauce from onions, garlic, tinned tomatoes and stock and let it simmer away until nice and thick.
Re the yoghurts I always keep some frozen berries in the freezer which I put into the microwave until pureed, cool it down then add to my yoghurt.

Reactions: 4 people

Mrsmac247

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well I caved and used a tin tomato with garlic and herbs, I just don't know how to name it any lower. The tin that was just cooked tomatoes was higher in carbs than the one with herbs and the other ingredients seemed friendly. Out of the 3 low carb dinners I've cooked so far, this one was the least successful so off to look up some recipes. I will definitely try yo out eat as well @Daphne917 thank you

PerfectStorm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A couple of people on this site (can't remember where) said the Lloyd Grossman sauces are pretty good on carbs and taste nice