Counselling and Diabetes?

Should there be specific counselling offered to people living with diabetes?

• yes

Votes: 63 94.0%
  • no

Votes: 4 6.0%

• Total voters

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
@Jess33marsh
the direct answer to your question is a resounding yes.
Diabetes is a lifelong ( once diagnosed) chronic illness and as such many people either at the start or a few years in or 20 years in or 40 years in may feel as though they need some support on a psychological front.
that support structure does not appear to be a separate department that is connected to Diabetes , but the general psychiatric service and as a few have already commented a lot of the issues are related to being fed up , burnt out , unable to cope, food related and so on but all with the common thread of Diabetes running through them..

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am not sure about counselling
More information about how to deal with it would be great help
I do not mean one size fits all "healthy eating"
A one to one with someone that knows about diabetes would be great when your are diagnosed, most of my mental issues at the start came from not knowing what I could eat mainly & what can happen if i'de continue eating as I had been.
I only know what I know now, 3 months in, what I have learned from the forum & outside research as to how it all works. luckily being able to bring my hbA1c down to 44 from 52.
The only communication I have had with the Nhs is the minimal info the Dr gave on telling the news & a ***** nurse that told me I was testing to much, without any explanation as to why I was testing too much other than the cost involved, I would have liked to be told why they say only fasting & bed need to be tested, but with research & logic I think I know the answer why but would have been nice to be told.
So in answer to OP, I feel more should be done in the initial stage in the form of professional guidance.

Reactions: 6 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
A one to one with someone that knows about diabetes would be great when your are diagnosed, most of my mental issues at the start came from not knowing what I could eat mainly & what can happen if i'de continue eating as I had been.
I only know what I know now, 3 months in, what I have learned from the forum & outside research as to how it all works. luckily being able to bring my hbA1c down to 44 from 52.
The only communication I have had with the Nhs is the minimal info the Dr gave on telling the news & a ***** nurse that told me I was testing to much, without any explanation as to why I was testing too much other than the cost involved, I would have liked to be told why they say only fasting & bed need to be tested, but with research & logic I think I know the answer why but would have been nice to be told.
So in answer to OP, I feel more should be done in the initial stage in the form of professional guidance.

if you have the chance in the future to see this kind representative of the NHS you could point out to her that she always drives her car with a speedometer

Reactions: 4 people

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
if you have the chance in the future to see this kind representative of the NHS you could point out to her that she always drives her car with a speedometer
Plus a car needs an engine management system for it to run & fuel.
Engine management being a person that is your guide.
Fuel being what you eat cause if you put the wrong fuel in a car it breaks down.
<<<<<<ENOUGH SAID>>>>>>>

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My problems with being offered counselling, aimed at me as a person with diabetes, rather than a person, are as follows:

From what I see in my own life, with others on the forum, and the reading I have done, I disagree with most of what is typically presented to diabetics - diet advice (eat carbs), treatment of depression (eat tablets), heart health (eat statins), cholesterol (eat low fat). Regardless of whether my personal views are right or wrong, what are the odds that the counselling offered to me, would fit me?

There are strong arguments to be made that counselling works best when it addresses the person and how they are dealing with the situation, not the situation itself.

So, should counselling be offered to people who could benefit from it? Absolutely.
Should specific diabetes related counselling be offered? I'm deeply sceptical.

A holistic approach is often very beneficial, but do I want a counsellor advising me on diet, medication or exercise? They would have to have some pretty hefty qualifications, and a proven track record!

Reactions: 8 people
C

catherinecherub

I very much doubt that a counsellor would offer dietary advice or encourage you to take medication. They are not trained in dietary/medical interventions and would be there to offer emotional support in coming to terms with a life long condition.

As in all professions there are good, bad and mediocre counsellors and all the certificates available does not always make them the best there is.

In my line of work I have seen the aftermath of bad counselling that has left the client in a worse state than before as their intervention has inflamed the situation. It is a difficult task to choose wisely as the NHS does not let you shop around.

This explains what a counsellor will do.

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/counselling/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I very much doubt that a counsellor would offer dietary advice or encourage you to take medication. They are not trained in dietary/medical interventions and would be there to offer emotional support in coming to terms with a life long condition.

As in all professions there are good, bad and mediocre counsellors and all the certificates available does not always make them the best there is.

In my line of work I have seen the aftermath of bad counselling that has left the client in a worse state than before as their intervention has inflamed the situation. It is a difficult task to choose wisely as the NHS does not let you shop around.

This explains what a counsellor will do.

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/counselling/Pages/Introduction.aspx
That was my point.

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My problems with being offered counselling, aimed at me as a person with diabetes, rather than a person, are as follows:

From what I see in my own life, with others on the forum, and the reading I have done, I disagree with most of what is typically presented to diabetics - diet advice (eat carbs), treatment of depression (eat tablets), heart health (eat statins), cholesterol (eat low fat). Regardless of whether my personal views are right or wrong, what are the odds that the counselling offered to me, would fit me?

There are strong arguments to be made that counselling works best when it addresses the person and how they are dealing with the situation, not the situation itself.

So, should counselling be offered to people who could benefit from it? Absolutely.
Should specific diabetes related counselling be offered? I'm deeply sceptical.

A holistic approach is often very beneficial, but do I want a counsellor advising me on diet, medication or exercise? They would have to have some pretty hefty qualifications, and a proven track record!

It's not so much a counsellor but more a trained GUIDE who knows about different options diabetics can follow in controlling the condition. eg LCHF, Newcastle diet, Glucose Load just to name a few methods of controling.
Giving detailed info on them so you can choose which method you wish to follow, also be available to answer any questions you may need answers to.

But I think most important, that this GUIDE be none NHS trained so the have an impartial understanding.
& who better than a diabetic themselves, someone who knows about it from the inside, but not pushing a certain method at someone as this has to be your own choise.

reamarie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I got help but it was too little too late. Diabetes changes everything about your life, what future you can have, relationships with both family and friends, diet, what you can enjoy. It's unreal. I was 13. It's not something you can just shrug your shoulders and get on with. Hopefully I'll be able to pull my life back... Nine years later.

louch1

I think It should be for everyone involved wether It's for the diabetic, family or friends.
I was diagnosed type 2 in oct. For me it was hard as I believed I was doing the right thing . I had been keeping fit and watching my diet. It was a blow. Due to the huge family diagnosis I knew it was on the cards. Unfortunately my only views or feelings about diabetes was my friend who passed away at 16 due to it and my mums ill health due to it and the huge amount of weight she has gained . My recent contact with a counsellor wasn't great . I had been introduced to her as a college and realised who she was when she kept asking me how I felt about it. I want to speak to people who are in the same boat . Who knows and understands what it feels like to go through all the process , wether it's affects of medication, diet or just how we may be feeling. My nurse thinks because I am a size 2o I must be eating so much rubbish and sitting on my bum but I am not . I run three times a week and each week I can clock nearly 10kms. I hate peoples views sometimes .

Sukayalid

I am having counselling now 6 months after diagnosis as I just fell apart. Been twice now. Getting through employee assistance scheme at work , never been offered through GP. Definitely a need.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I got help but it was too little too late. Diabetes changes everything about your life, what future you can have, relationships with both family and friends, diet, what you can enjoy. It's unreal. I was 13. It's not something you can just shrug your shoulders and get on with. Hopefully I'll be able to pull my life back... Nine years later.

Good luck and all the best :)

RRB

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am trying to develop a diabetic counselling service at the moment. If anyone has comments on what they would find ideal in a service i would love to hear?

Reactions: 2 people

Jess33marsh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello All that have posted so far - I have reopened the poll so please vote if you haven't already as my research degree is starting soon and I will be well equipped to fight for the gap in provision to change. Neo88 I would be interested to know what area you live in to be receiving this great service. It is refreshing to hear but appears to be a postcode lottery. Is it helping you?

Jess33marsh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Fayefaye 1429 my aim is to do the same would be interested in how you are getting on?

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It gets a lot of interest. I've tried for funding before in 2011 but nowt was about then but thinking of trying a different route this time

Jess33marsh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's a tough area as I'm finding but definitely needed. Are you a counsellor?

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Jess33marsh
the direct answer to your question is a resounding yes.
Diabetes is a lifelong ( once diagnosed) chronic illness and as such many people either at the start or a few years in or 20 years in or 40 years in may feel as though they need some support on a psychological front.
that support structure does not appear to be a separate department that is connected to Diabetes , but the general psychiatric service and as a few have already commented a lot of the issues are related to being fed up , burnt out , unable to cope, food related and so on but all with the common thread of Diabetes running through them..
Yeh there only tends to be offering for psychology department for type ones and nothing for type two

Reactions: Angelofthemarches