Sugar free soft drinks / mixers with NO ASPARTAME!

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
On average, women who consumed two or more diet drinks a day were younger, more likely to be smokers, and had a higher prevalence of diabetes, high blood pressure, and higher body mass index.”

Rubbish article Rowan, maybe there are other factors in their lifestyles causing poor health. Please quote some proper scientific trials on aspartame.

Ali

I, and many other people, believe aspartame is harmful. If others don't and are prepared to put their health at risk for the sake of a fizzy drink, then that's up to them, I'm not arguing about it.

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't drink fizzy drinks but I do think these boards should only show decent research articles not internet nonsense that continues to perpetuate myths with no scientific backing. That is exactly how people become fearful of things. Hence my request for decent scientific evidence of what you are saying. In over 100 studies they have not been able to find a problem.

Ali

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The link was not internet rubbish, it is "one of the largest studies of its kind, which included nearly 60,000 post-menopausal women who were followed for about 10 years, found that drinking just two diet drinks a day can dramatically increase your risk of an early death from heart disease. The findings were presented at the American College of Cardiology's 63rd Annual Scientific Session in Washington, DC. As reported by the University of Iowa"

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
The link was not internet rubbish, it is "one of the largest studies of its kind, which included nearly 60,000 post-menopausal women who were followed for about 10 years, found that drinking just two diet drinks a day can dramatically increase your risk of an early death from heart disease. The findings were presented at the American College of Cardiology's 63rd Annual Scientific Session in Washington, DC. As reported by the University of Iowa"

Cause and Effect........ sorry but it does not prove anything at all, what other factors were at play in their lifestyles, I seem to remember smoking was mentioned? I am talking about the scientific studies done on the product itself, not on people with a gazillion other factors affecting their lives.

Ali

SandyDee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There are some Diet Cokes that arent made with aspartame but there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to which is aspartame and which is splenda, (only regular diet coke not cherry or lemon) so I'm afraid it's a case of label checking. By the way I mean Diet Coke as in Coca Cola, not sure I made that clear.

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There are some Diet Cokes that arent made with aspartame but there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to which is aspartame and which is splenda, (only regular diet coke not cherry or lemon) so I'm afraid it's a case of label checking. By the way I mean Diet Coke as in Coca Cola, not sure I made that clear.

Are there any that taste good? I remember years ago when I as counting calories I tried some diet cokes and they all tasted awful!
Can't say I've ever noticed splenda on drinks labels though.

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Within the frames of a dynamic method called the scientific method, scientists set up experiments, normally with the end of determining causality in the physical world. For instance, one may want to know whether a high intake of carrots causes humans to develop the bubonic plague. As an observation of a correlation does not imply causation, it is necessary to use inductive reasoning from particular observations in order to strengthen (through observed reproducibility) or disprove hypotheses about causal relationships. The fundamentally uncertain nature of inductive reasoning has been claimed to give rise to scientific paradigm shifts, as described by Thomas Kuhn.

This framework is sometimes called the scientific method, and forms part of the Philosophy of science. The dichotomy between hard and soft science can be regarded as stemming from the increased uncertainty and vagueness connected to the inductive proofs of causal links in "softer" sciences.

moonchip

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Within the frames of a dynamic method called the scientific method, scientists set up experiments, normally with the end of determining causality in the physical world. For instance, one may want to know whether a high intake of carrots causes humans to develop the bubonic plague. As an observation of a correlation does not imply causation, it is necessary to use inductive reasoning from particular observations in order to strengthen (through observed reproducibility) or disprove hypotheses about causal relationships. The fundamentally uncertain nature of inductive reasoning has been claimed to give rise to scientific paradigm shifts, as described by Thomas Kuhn.

This framework is sometimes called the scientific method, and forms part of the Philosophy of science. The dichotomy between hard and soft science can be regarded as stemming from the increased uncertainty and vagueness connected to the inductive proofs of causal links in "softer" sciences.

Excellent reply ........ couldn't have put it better myself o_O

Just grabbing a few neurofen :D:):D

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Cause and Effect........ sorry but it does not prove anything at all, what other factors were at play in their lifestyles, I seem to remember smoking was mentioned? I am talking about the scientific studies done on the product itself, not on people with a gazillion other factors affecting their lives.

Ali

If you want to discuss that maybe you should start your own thread on it. This one is for recommendations on drinks that don't contain the stuff.

Reactions: 2 people

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Very many people prefer not to risk their health on eating something artificial that we believe to be harmful. And you're making it sound as if we're the ones doing something wrong! Now can we please keep this thread on topic, thank you.

mears54

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
The coke with stevie is part stevie, part sugar, best off sticking to diet/zero/max if you're drinking coke
Hi folks this might help all asdas own brand of lemonade and diet is free of aspartame ! And less than 50p per large bottle

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi folks this might help all asdas own brand of lemonade and diet is free of aspartame ! And less than 50p per large bottle

Thank you :) It seems all supermarkets except Tesco (and Co-op I think) don't use aspartame, and of course I get my online shopping from tesco! I could change to another shop but I like the money off diesel I get for my bus, it costs nearly £100 to fill up and 16p off a litre saves me a lot of money, especially from now until the end of autumn when we hibernate for the winter ;)

vintageutopia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you have SodaStreams (soda maker) in the UK? I use my SS to fizz water and then add flavored Stevia. Sweet Leaf makes a variety of different flavors. If you don't want to make your own, you could always add flavored stevia to sparkling water.

Lexa_x

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you have SodaStreams (soda maker) in the UK? I use my SS to fizz water and then add flavored Stevia. Sweet Leaf makes a variety of different flavors. If you don't want to make your own, you could always add flavored stevia to sparkling water.

We used to have one when I was a kid. Fizzy milk did not work well, taste nice or do the machine any good, haha ;)

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had a soda stream when teh kids were little, never like any of the drinks though...
Just looked in Argos, they're £85 to buy! :eek: No chance!

misswhiplash

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Aspartame has a bad name on the Internet, but there's very little in the way of actual science backing any of it up...

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Aspartame has a bad name on the Internet, but there's very little in the way of actual science backing any of it up...

I prefer to believe the very many people who have been adversely affected by it, me included, than the so-called 'experts' who carry out these tests on behalf of the manufacturers.
Apart from that it's a highly processed artificial 'food' that many of us refuse to use, especially when there are natural alternatives available and I really can't understand anyone defending it.

Cloggs84

I'm trying to find mixers, especially lemonade and tonic water, and other soft drinks that have no aspartame, and it's not easy, they all seem to use the stuff! I won't touch anything that contains aspartame, and have been through every sugar free lemonade and tonic water on the tesco website and every single one (apart from tesco cloudy lemonade) has aspartame!
I'm sure there must be some somewhere, and I know I'm not the only one here to not want any aspartame, so hoped we could list all the relevant drinks we know here?
I think you will find most own brand drinks from any supermarket don't have aspartam in it. I've even stopped drinking robinsons squash and traded it for the own brand as the own brand again doesn't use it