Pump

AnaSofia

Did the Dr explain to you that you have to put the work in for the perfect numbers? The pump is only as good as the user :)
Yes, that's right but i know one person that got the sugar levels like a person without diabetes if she does the things correctly. That's obvious that is no diabetics with perfect sugar levels but the pump is almost an artificial pancreas!

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It is the closet so far unless you are on a pump that has a CGM attached to it which takes you a lot closer to it. The pump needs human minds to program it though. I had a pump stop working before to so I really encourage you not to solo depend on it.

HaroldC

I use a pump. I use CGM. I've used MDI since the Novo Pen came out in 1985 (lovely little 1.5ml thing, I've still got one after finding it trapped down the back of a chair!).
They're intensive and require a fair amount of thought. As an experiment, I'm going to abandon the latest "high-tech" pump & CGM this next week when I dash out for a sunny holiday. I've shifted back onto Lantus now and fly out this afty. All's good so far. Miss the CGM when I wake up, but that might just be a case of chronic "navel-gazing".
I'll have a good comparison of pump/pen high-tech/low-tech next Monday.

Reactions: 2 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I use a pump. I use CGM. I've used MDI since the Novo Pen came out in 1985 (lovely little 1.5ml thing, I've still got one after finding it trapped down the back of a chair!).
They're intensive and require a fair amount of thought. As an experiment, I'm going to abandon the latest "high-tech" pump & CGM this next week when I dash out for a sunny holiday. I've shifted back onto Lantus now and fly out this afty. All's good so far. Miss the CGM when I wake up, but that might just be a case of chronic "navel-gazing".
I'll have a good comparison of pump/pen high-tech/low-tech next Monday.
Enjoy your holiday :) Having a CGM does have one big downside it sure makes me lazy regarding basal testing.

HaroldC

Perhaps the more selfless amongst us should consider taking the necessary hardship of staying a sunny clime, drinking sugary cocktails by the pool regularly to ensure we don't get too dependent on tech?

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well I think a break from the pump every so often is good. It definitely gives you a new perspective on whether its for you or not.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Well I think a break from the pump every so often is good. It definitely gives you a new perspective on whether its for you or not.

I haven't had a break from pump in almost 5 years. I dread having to go back to pens if I could o longer use a pump. I wouldn't have a clue what doses to give anymore.

As mentioned in a different posting. My consultant has already told me that when I get 75 (or before) they will not worry about my levels so much and chances are I wil at some point in my old age be on pens sgain. I have a god few years to go but it is still a dread and fear I have.

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It can be scary using the pens again. I remember when I was on the first pump never wanting the pens. Not to worry anyone as this is very rare but my pump malfunctioned so stopped working so I had to go pens so I always give myself a break now so I know the machine is working as unfortunate for me I was the one billion person who's pump wasn't working but it didn't tell me so came poorly. Also though it can be nice just to experience no pump even just for a day

ann34+

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I haven't had a break from pump in almost 5 years. I dread having to go back to pens if I could o longer use a pump. I wouldn't have a clue what doses to give anymore.

As mentioned in a different posting. My consultant has already told me that when I get 75 (or before) they will not worry about my levels so much and chances are I wil at some point in my old age be on pens sgain. I have a god few years to go but it is still a dread and fear I have.

That is very strange - maybe your bones are good on a DEXA scan? For some a pump is even more important in older age, as it is vital to try to prevent hypos, and possible falls caused by them. I only got a pump when i slipped, slightly hypo, and fractured my hip, this led to an emergency operation and years of disability. My consultant told me that, irrespective of control, Type one women's bones had certain changes (the bones are now realised to be part of the endocrine system), and that hip fractures were many many times more frequent in older Type one women (i think he said over 10 times). I learnt that both genetics and age, combined with type one, and other risk factors, can lead to very unpleasant consequences. Apart from taking great care, and stopping hypos there is nothing else one can do to prevent this, so if you have bad news from a DEXA scan, I am sure you will be using the pump into old age. Ann
PS i forgot to add ref - http://www.hindawi.com/journals/jos/2015/174186/, the figures given are for men and women together i think. I have no other complications, and for more than the first 25 years all HbA1Cs were under 6.6% , often in the high 5%s. So, given the risks, which your consultant must be aware of - this is one of the latest articles here - i cant see how any Type one could have a pump taken away. Is he serious?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jeannie87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Right here's my take on it,please understand this is only my opinion.last week I started a pump trial,after a saline start the previous week,Monday-Wednesday it's was ok,my results were a little high plus had to do a few waking nights too check the basal rates,thursday it all went wrong,after tea my blood was 23 and I was producing ketones(not good as we all know)so I went through the process of taking 10% of my daily dose with a pen,changing the sets and stuff,checking every hour and a half,this went on from 8 in the evening to 5.30 the next morning where I had eventually hit 16,I made the decision at around 2.30 in the morning that the pump was not for me,personally I felt it was more too worry about,seeing as if you are going anywhere for any length of time you have to take a bag with you,containing batteries,fresh sets,short acting carbs,insulin,blood/ketones meter and also a short acting insulin pen??? Where as now all I need are a couple of pens and a blood meter,plus having this thing attached too you 24 hrs a day felt like a constant reminder of my condition,where as with pens you can at least forget your diabetic till the next injection.like I said at the start this is only my opinion,I feel that everything is geared towards pro pump and rarely hear the other side of the argument.
I agree that everything on here seems to be geared towards pro pump, but I guess if you've tried it, and like it and get on with it ok, that's all good. Personally, I decided against the pump, mainly because my diabetes is u dear good control, although I know the option of a pump is there for me any time I change my mind. I am quite happy with my pens, Levemir twice a day, and Novo Rapid when I eat. I test regularly but I am not the perfect diabetic.....who is? I just didn't want to be attached to something 24/7 no matter how many people told me I wouldn't notice after a short while. I believe we are all different, and if we are coping ok with the routine we have, and are happy then let's live and let live. No one would be able to convert me to a pump, no more than I could persuade any pump user to go back to MDI. Each to their own I say. I am always happy to hear and read of good experiences with either the pump or MDI. Life is what you make of it, and it's also for living too.

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I agree that everything on here seems to be geared towards pro pump, but I guess if you've tried it, and like it and get on with it ok, that's all good. Personally, I decided against the pump, mainly because my diabetes is u dear good control, although I know the option of a pump is there for me any time I change my mind. I am quite happy with my pens, Levemir twice a day, and Novo Rapid when I eat. I test regularly but I am not the perfect diabetic.....who is? I just didn't want to be attached to something 24/7 no matter how many people told me I wouldn't notice after a short while. I believe we are all different, and if we are coping ok with the routine we have, and are happy then let's live and let live. No one would be able to convert me to a pump, no more than I could persuade any pump user to go back to MDI. Each to their own I say. I am always happy to hear and read of good experiences with either the pump or MDI. Life is what you make of it, and it's also for living too.[/QUOT

I completely agree with you. Each to their own! We all find our ways in life and if they were the same it would be dead boring. I would say I am pro for pens and pumps. I don't think the pumps are all that to be honest, as they are technology and can fail. However for me a combination of pen and pump works, as I get the best of both worlds without it being either or.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
My consultant just says that at 75 (if I get there!!) my control (as with GP's being asked to get DNR's for patients 75+) will be deemed as less important...

This was when we were talking about if I got dementia etc and what would happen because a community nurse knows nothing about pumps and my hubby certainly doesn't know the involvement enough. That was when she said that MDI and less precision on blood levels in that scenario would be inevitable.

Auckland Canary

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I went on to the Animas Vibe pump last week and so far it has been a total nightmare for me. I was always susceptible to hypo's and although my Hba1c is great at 38 I do have numerous hypos.
I was reluctant to try the pump but eventually got onto it after enquiring last year. So far there seems to be no rhyme or reason to what my sugars are. I have had bad hypos nearly every morning and when I have tried to adjust the levels I them wake up in double figures. I got home from work last night and was 2.2, went to bed 10.7 and haven't been in single figures at all today waking up with a 15.2 and 2 readings of 11 before lunch.

I know it is early days yet and I need to get the hang of it but in all honesty I was crying my eyes out last night with the frustration of it all. I feel like I have taken a massive step back from a pretty bad position anyway. I will persevere as this is about the only hope I have to improve my control but I certainly am not feeling the love at the moment.

ann34+

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I went on to the Animas Vibe pump last week and so far it has been a total nightmare for me. I was always susceptible to hypo's and although my Hba1c is great at 38 I do have numerous hypos.
I was reluctant to try the pump but eventually got onto it after enquiring last year. So far there seems to be no rhyme or reason to what my sugars are. I have had bad hypos nearly every morning and when I have tried to adjust the levels I them wake up in double figures. I got home from work last night and was 2.2, went to bed 10.7 and haven't been in single figures at all today waking up with a 15.2 and 2 readings of 11 before lunch.

I know it is early days yet and I need to get the hang of it but in all honesty I was crying my eyes out last night with the frustration of it all. I feel like I have taken a massive step back from a pretty bad position anyway. I will persevere as this is about the only hope I have to improve my control but I certainly am not feeling the love at the moment.

Hi, Auckland Canary, it is very early days, as you say. Allow at least a year!! Or more! Some things are not good about the pump, but it is great for ironing out hypos, as you will see if you persevere - I gave up for a while, went back to it and tried the steel cannulas, and now would not go back. Important to know - your insulin uses will probably drop and drop, showing that one of the reasons for the hypos may have been too much insulin, i was told to expect 25% less, and it ended up at probably 30% less, and I now use average 18 units. I still have hypos, but a lot fewer, and mainly when there is disruption due to illness. The base rate is the important thing - every tiny tweak is important - i still have not got this quite right, it is frustrating, the thing about the pump is that you are learning all the time, every day. Your HbA1C will probably go up a bit - my doctors told me this was because it is an average, and so without the hypos the figure will rise a little. Hope it all sorts out, Ann

Victorri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can confirm that community nurses would not know anything about pumps as I am one and my fellow colleagues know nothing about mine. Another reason they might take the pump away and have the community nurses go in is because of dexterity of your hands and not being able to use the pump or pens

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Hi Auckland, I am sorry to hear your experiencing this and it is tough at the beginning and for some later one. Most companies provide an oncall 24/7 nurse who is based through their helpline. I am not sure re Animas but could you ring them and see if there is owt? I did that with mine (mylife) as the sites were a really issue. After I spoke to them, I followed their instructions and I was good by the afternoon. not saying it will be that way but I just wondered.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
You should be contacting your dsn if levels are not improving..

Have you done basal tests?

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate

How much are you adjusting your basal by and how long before the hypo hits are you making the adjustment?
Start at the beging and sort your night time basal out. Also as a matter of interest what have you got your insulin duration set at and what insulin are you using?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Agree with sorting nights first. Many hosp prefer daytime but waking up good gives you better chance to get the day sorted.
Timings of the basal changes are key too.
Duration time is important... As this is the part that tells your pump when to do corrections...
As is your target level.. What is this set to?