Type 2 but Dr now wants to introduce insulin as HBA1C=8.6

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello all,

I am a 51 year old British expat living and working (trying to with this debilitating illness) in Philippines. Last 6 weeks have not been feeling well at all, recently changed my Dr and had all the usual suspect (HBA1C) test done plus lots more... I went to see the Dr today and she informs me I have fatty liver, kidneys not in good shape. She told me i need to cut back on the metformin and start taking insulin. Does anyone have direct experience here? If so, can you tell me how taking the insulin affected you (better or worse)?

Is there any going back once you start taking insulin?

Does taking insulin affect your driving back in UK (if i return)?

Have just been given the prescription today!

Thank you in advance :)

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Hi welcome :)

Is it correct that your HbA1c has been increasing? I can't advise you on your medication of course but one of the fundamental ways of controlling blood sugar levels is diet, specifically reducing your carbohydrate consumption as well as obvious sugars. Even if you go on insulin now, that would be the route to minimising your requirements and eventually coming off it hopefully.

So what do you eat/drink in a typical day?

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would take the insulin for now. my guess is you are eating too many carbs, I'd cut out rice and replace with non-starch veg and some real butter/coconut or olive oil
This gives a simple overview to how it works
For me, the more carbs we eat the more carbs we want. They don’t give up easy and it’s biochemical

a long page and a few good video’s
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarb101/a/firstweek.htm

From the @Southport GP study, who posts here

http://www.practicaldiabetes.com/SpringboardWebApp/userfiles/espdi/file/March 2014/PP Unwin final proofs revised.pdf

*If you find these links useful. Please put in favourites.

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, my HBA1C has been increasing over the last 2 years along with my weight.

Breakfast- Special K with low-fat milk + coffee & tea

Lunch- salad with wholewheat pitta x 2 (canned tuna (in water) with salad cream) or cheese

Jacket pot/rice/air fried chips/ with steamed salmon or fried steak or grilled fish or chilli con carne or homemade soup

Sometimes eat out buffet... 3 small plates (starter + main + desert) sugar free ice cream if have.

Thank you fro your help, try this...http://www.weightloss.com.au/health...lian-shepherds-pie-with-cauliflower-mash.html

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
My partner is a Filipina and I've been there a few times. I know how much rice they eat (more per capita than any other nationality) so if you're following local rules you're probably going to have problems.

On the brighter side there's no shortage of coconut oil and ampalaya which has been advocated as a diabetic treatment. No idea if it works, have never seen it in the UK.

There have been some recent news articles about putting coconut oil in rice when cooking it as it's supposed to make it less starchy and reduce its GI (or something along those lines). Try looking for brown rice as an alternative to the sticky white stuff that is popular there.

Reactions: 2 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Yes, my HBA1C has been increasing over the last 2 years along with my weight.

Breakfast- Special K with low-fat milk + coffee & tea

Lunch- salad with wholewheat pitta x 2 (canned tuna (in water) with salad cream) or cheese

Jacket pot/rice/air fried chips/ with steamed salmon or fried steak or grilled fish or chilli con carne or homemade soup

Sometimes eat out buffet... 3 small plates (starter + main + desert) sugar free ice cream if have.

Thank you fro your help, try this...http://www.weightloss.com.au/health...lian-shepherds-pie-with-cauliflower-mash.html

Special K (pretty much all breakfast cereals) are loaded with sugar and/or carbs. Pitta bread, wholemeal or not, jacket potato, chips - none of these will have helped your blood sugars or weight. If you reduce your carbs significantly you will reduce your blood sugars. Like so many of us we imagined we were eating healthily so it's not your fault, just the guidance and the advice you were probably given. Much of what you eat (fish, meat, cheese, salad) is great.

Check out dietdoctor.com/lchf, you should find it interesting.

Cauliflower mash is a great substitute for potato!

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
My partner is a Filipina and I've been there a few times. I know how much rice they eat (more per capita than any other nationality) so if you're following local rules you're probably going to have problems.

On the brighter side there's no shortage of coconut oil and ampalaya which has been advocated as a diabetic treatment. No idea if it works, have never seen it in the UK.

There have been some recent news articles about putting coconut oil in rice when cooking it as it's supposed to make it less starchy and reduce its GI (or something along those lines). Try looking for brown rice as an alternative to the sticky white stuff that is popular there.