FREESTYLE LIBRE ON SALE!!!!

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm learning the libre patterns. I find a prolonged period with an inclined or declined arrow (long is more than an hour) and the scan will generally be around 20% higher or lower than the blood reading at the same time. I'd you have a flat arrow, then the scans are pretty accurate. On vertical arrows I revert to blood till the arrows even out. Any reading above 9 I now test blood as it starts to get less accurate the higher you go. Seems to work quite well.
That's my approach too. I'm on sensor #3 and it's going great - I'm only finger-pricking 2-3 times a day and it's always spot on or within +0.5mmol of the Libre scan. Totally agree about >9mmol readings - I find Libre overstates readings at high levels so I revert to a finger prick test to confirm. I've ocasionally had a 11mmol or 12mmol on the Libre but 2 confirmatory finger pricks have shown I'm actually on 8 to 9mmol.

Princesnikki

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
When did you sign up. I think people who signed up in Jan are getting theirs at the moment. I signed up in March so quite a while for me it would seem. Very frustrated!!
They I think it was about then and yh it is frustrating especially as I now how easy they r and how much better my levels was wid it then I had to give it bk x

Reactions: 2 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
That's my approach too. I'm on sensor #3 and it's going great - I'm only finger-pricking 2-3 times a day and it's always spot on or within +0.5mmol of the Libre scan. Totally agree about >9mmol readings - I find Libre overstates readings at high levels so I revert to a finger prick test to confirm. I've ocasionally had a 11mmol or 12mmol on the Libre but 2 confirmatory finger pricks have shown I'm actually on 8 to 9mmol.
I've written a more in depth version on my blog - http://www.crick-tech-munch.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/#freestylelibre.

Reactions: 4 people

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm learning the libre patterns. I find a prolonged period with an inclined or declined arrow (long is more than an hour) and the scan will generally be around 20% higher or lower than the blood reading at the same time. I'd you have a flat arrow, then the scans are pretty accurate. On vertical arrows I revert to blood till the arrows even out. Any reading above 9 I now test blood as it starts to get less accurate the higher you go. Seems to work quite well.

That's interesting. I was wondering if there was a pattern. I certainly find my first scan of the morning often reads a good 2mmol lower than a BG test - a bit dehydrated maybe?. Also, I'm pretty sure now that my migraine tablets (imigran) affects the scan. My current sensor is really accurate but it's just read 2mmol low an hour after a migraine tablet - I've noticed this a few times now, so maybe the tablet affects IF. The other anomaly is that Libre seems to read high at low levels for me - so it sometimes misses a hypo. I rarely see anything other than horizontal arrows, but I'd agree that it is less reliable if your BG is changing quickly.

Smidge

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I certainly find my first scan of the morning often reads a good 2mmol lower than a BG test - a bit dehydrated maybe?
That's a good point Smidge, I've noticed similar and forgot to mention it. I certainly believe that hydration plays an important part in the accuracy of the sensor.

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
I decided I couldn't afford to pay for sensors permanently so what I'm planning on doing is getting one every 3 months.

I've just got a new sensor and can't remember the protocol for when to put them in; what do you guys think; put them in at night or in the morning?

Thanks

Dillinger

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I decided I couldn't afford to pay for sensors permanently so what I'm planning on doing is getting one every 3 months.

I've just got a new sensor and can't remember the protocol for when to put them in; what do you guys think; put them in at night or in the morning?

Thanks

Dillinger
I don't think it really matters when you put them in. I usually put mine on the day before I activate it to let it settle a bit.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Looks like my chemist is getting some of my Libre test strips from Poland o_O

IMG_5575.JPG

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mine accidentally sent me 4 boxes of ketone and only 1 blood tests! Wrong way around!

asyarlk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've only had my libre on for a week now and yesterday it showed me another one of its many benefits. I was diagnosed last dec and experienced my first sick bug yesterday/today. The libre meant that my family could check my blood sugars without me knowing which allowed me to rest. They used this instead of the finger prick and it reassured them as they could do it as much as they liked.

For me being sick it has made it easier, I've been in bed all day and the thought of all the prep when finger pricking seems like too much hard work when I can even keep water down! The libre has made a huge difference, very pleased I've got it!!

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had lowering blood sugar, so I went for one square of caramel chocolate. 1 square quickly turned into 6! D'oh!!!

Reactions: 3 people

itconor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
does anyone have an alternative number i cant call them for some reason 00800 numbers are barred on my EE phone

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
does anyone have an alternative number i cant call them for some reason 00800 numbers are barred on my EE phone
0500 467 466

Edit: not sure that would work if you're still outside UK though

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My replacement scanner order is "on hold" no email about it or anything. My sensor ends in 2 days :(

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hmmm... my replacement sensor order of 27th April says
Picked
Estimated delivery:
3-5 working days