Cholesterol

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi I have been told lately that i need to go on tablets for my cheolesterol as i have had diabetes for more than 15 years. Have people experienced this? i am pro it for my heart but i know i cant stop once i start. Love to hear your thoughts

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
You'll always find a mixed response when the subject of statins come up on diabetes forums, but at the end of the day its your choice as to whether or not you take them and no one can force you, but personally if my own cholesterol was high then I'd certainly want to try them if all other options had been explored.

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was put on statins when I reached 50 (as a preventative measure) and was on them for a few years before I realised they were affecting my memory and stopped taking them.
2 years ago, after my brother died from a massive heart attack, my consultant suggested I try a different lower dose statin. That one gave me the worst headache ever but didn't affect my memory - just gave me slower thought processes.

I now take Benecol yogurts to keep my cholesterol lower.

Many people take statins and have no side effects.

JAY1JAY1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
I was put on statins years ago a long time before I was told I was diabetic, the doctor says to keep taking them as my cholesterol level is still very high I'm not arguing with him

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey everyone, thank you for all your views. It was a nurse that suggested this I am not sure. I think I will do research before I start them just to make sure.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
click ‘view’ right hand side

http://www.researchgate.net/publica...olled_trials_to_aid_individual_patient_choice

Results: Among 14 primary prevention trials (46,262 participants),
statin therapy increased diabetes by absolute risk of 0.5% (95% CI 0.1–1%, p¼0.012),
meanwhile reducing death by a similar extent: 0.5% (0.9 to 0.2%, p¼0.003).
In the 15 secondary prevention RCTs (37,618 participants), statins decreased death by 1.4% (2.1 to 0.7%, p<0.001).
There were no other statin-attributable symptoms,
although asymptomatic liver transaminase elevation was 0.4% more frequent with statins across all trials. Serious adverse events and withdrawals were similar in both arms.

Conclusions:
Only a small minority of symptoms reported on statins are genuinely due to the statins:
almost all would occur just as frequently on placebo.

Only development of new-onset diabetes mellitus was significantly higher on statins than placebo; nevertheless only 1 in 5 of new cases were actually caused by statins. Higher statin doses produce a detectable effect, but even still the proportion attributable to statins is variable: for asymptomatic liver enzyme elevation, the majority are attributable to the higher dose; in contrast for muscle aches, the majority are not.

this study looked at the history of 60,000 Diabetics after av. 2.7

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/landia/article/PIIS2213-8587(14)70173-1/abstract

retinopathy HR=0.6 [decrease of risk]
neuropathy HR=0.66
gangrene of the foot HR=0.88
diabetic nephropathy HR=0.97
[neutral..........HR=1.0 ]
diabetes HR=1·17 [increase of risk]

the way I look at it ..if nothing else take statin for neuropathy, retinopathy and gangrene of the foot

Diet is also good for cholesterol lipids, this gives a good overview of blood tests and what they mean

Reactions: 4 people

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I have been told lately that i need to go on tablets for my cheolesterol as i have had diabetes for more than 15 years. Have people experienced this? i am pro it for my heart but i know i cant stop once i start. Love to hear your thoughts
You need to find out your cholesterol breakdown before you can make an informed decision on statins. It's also in many cases possible to sort cholesterol by tweaking your diet a bit. So, what is your cholesterol breakdown and what does you way of eating look like?

Also remember that low thyroid function is a common cause for high cholesterol, particularly high LDL.

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
hi totto thank you for the above and love your picture by the way.
My thyroid function has come back normal. I am 5 and I have been tried bringing it down with diets for a year. Its worked in ways but not the most successful.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I had to stop taking them.
tried different brands and strengths.
Rocketed my BS caused pain in my legs and made me feel unwell.
I am now lowering my bad cholesterol and raising my good on the LCHF diet.

Reactions: 2 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
I eat a lot of spicy food and all's well.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
sir, sometimes immunity to our body do matter...no disrespect!
Just saying.
In fact I get cravings for spice if I go to long without .... like some do for sugar.
Never had a sugar craving though.

Reactions: 2 people