New to Forum. Grandmother of an 8 year old

DizzyBird

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I've just joined my Grandaughter is a type 1 diabetic. She'll be 9 in May but still doesn't feel able to do her own injections. I'd like some advice on the pump as an alternative for her please.

C

catherinecherub

Have moved your post to Insulin Pump board and am bumping your post up in the hope of some replies.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi I've just joined my Grandaughter is a type 1 diabetic. She'll be 9 in May but still doesn't feel able to do her own injections. I'd like some advice on the pump as an alternative for her please.

Hello and welcome dizzybird. I have a 6 year old granddaughter who is type 1, she is on injections as well. She finger pricks herself, but doesn't inject herself yet.
It's probably a matter of confidence really, and the thought of 'doing it herself' could make her feel anxious and then insecurities start to surface, as the unknown is often very scary.
Good luck with finding a good solution for her. Best wishes RRB

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hi your Grandaughter will get there in her own time, what ever you do, do not put any pressure on her to do her own injections. On another forum there is a 22 year old who had to move back in with her Mum as she couldn't do her own injections. Last night she managed her 1st one :)
Personally I can not see a pump being of any help at the moment as needles still have to go in.