Other

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Now that makes a Dexcom all of a sudden very attractive. An Apple watch is a bit cheaper than the Dex CGM meter...
You still need the sensor and transmitter though, as from reading that article the watch is only the receiver. Would be interesting to know if the battery in the watch/receiver is chargeable or replaceable.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You still need the sensor and transmitter though, as from reading that article the watch is only the receiver. Would be interesting to know if the battery in the watch/receiver is chargeable or replaceable.

Apple doesn't allow replacing of its batteries but from what I've heard its got a good life per charge.

as soon as they released the iwatch I knew this wouldnt be far behind. In fact i wouldn't be surprised if the dex is bought by apple (although thats a much longer shot!)

Reactions: 2 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I called Advanced Therapeutics this morning to ask about this topic. At the moment they don't have the details of how the G5 will be sold. So it wasn't a massive amount of help.

Based on G4 costs though, the transmitter at £300, then £250 per four sensors, each lasting a month (with tweaks), works out at £1300 a year. That's about the same as the Libre costs.

Then, in my case, I also need to buy an iPhone....

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes you will need an iPhone or iPad or iPod for the app to work and for the BT connection. From these it goes to the iWatch, it does not BT direct to iWatch as far as I'm aware.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Yeah - you don't need the iWatch for this to work. You can just use the iPhone app.

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It sounds good but I wonder if the watch screen is big enough to show the graph? I find that the arrows can sometimes be misleading.

nickoedwards

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Has anyone actually tired this yet? As far as I'm aware, the Dexcom firmware needed for this isn't available in the UK yet?

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This looks awesome. I am wanting to go a cbm but the cost wow. I have an I phone so this might be awesome for me

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I rang Apple today apparently its 299 the watch to buy but the belt etc which apparently you wear is all priced under dexcom and they are not sure.

Reactions: Froggychops