Medical Exemption Certificate & Coming off meds for diabetes temporarily

zac1972

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have worked very hard to loose weight and eat a balanced diet to bring down my blood sugar levels over the last 2 years - had my Metformin dose halved 4 months ago and after a review yesterday the Doctor is happy for me to stop the Metformin completely for 3 months and then have repeat HBA1c test to see if I still need meds or whether I can manage on diet alone to control my levels. I'm on a number of other meds including BP meds - not sure if I need to return my Medical Exemption Certificate at this stage or carry on using it and wait until my repeat bloods in 3 months and a definite decision on whether they will be stopped permanently - what have others done in this situation? TIA

phil1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I got my exemption certificate it said that I could continue using it until it expired even if I no longer needed medication for my condition.

zac1972

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I got my exemption certificate it said that I could continue using it until it expired even if I no longer needed medication for my condition.
That would be nice if I can as its valid for another 3 years and I do have a long list of other meds :)

Croc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sea filth!
It depends what the other meds are for and if any other conditions are exempt.

phil1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It depends what the other meds are for and if any other conditions are exempt.
Not true - a MEC covers you for all prescriptions, irrespective of whether they are related to the condition you got the certificate for or not.

Coming back to my earlier post I've found my covering letter and it clearly states you can continue to use it until it expires, even if your condition changes. The only restriction is you can only renew it if you are still on meds

The exact wording on the back of the letter is as follows:

How long the certificate lasts

Certificates are valid for five years. You can use your certificate until it expires, even if your medical condition changes. You can apply for a new certificate if you still meet the qualifying conditions when your current certificate expires. If you do not renew your certificate after it expires, but still claim free prescriptions, you may have to pay a penalty charge

Edit to add - I've added a scan of the back of the covering letter in case anyone finds it useful (click on the thumbnail to view - the white bits are to mask out my personal details that were visible from the other side of the page) :)

terms.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 8 people

zac1972

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not true - a MEC covers you for all prescriptions, irrespective of whether they are related to the condition you got the certificate for or not.

Coming back to my earlier post I've found my covering letter and it clearly states you can continue to use it until it expires, even if your condition changes. The only restriction is you can only renew it if you are still on meds

The exact wording on the back of the letter is as follows:

Edit to add - I've added a scan of the back of the covering letter in case anyone finds it useful (click on the thumbnail to view) :)

View attachment 13337
Excellent, thanks very much :) nice not to be financially worse off for doing something right for once

JAY1JAY1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Yes you'll find it's good until the date is up for all Meds, no need to return it