Need advice please

denny19701

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All,

A bit of advice please if i may.......... My mother has type 2 but keeps getting Hypo's in the morning? About 2 - 3 per week .
She will have porridge for breakfast and then have her main meal for LUNCH . My question is , should she have main meal n the evening rather than lets say a sandwich ?

I believe her main source of a meal is too long till the next day. Yes she checks her results but they are not high when she goes to bed?

Hope this makes sense as im a little worried and her Doc says this is ok and normal

Please Help

Denny

G

graj0

Sorry, I'm a slow typist. The other replies got in there while I was typing.

Hi Denny,

welcome to the forum. Personally, I wouldn't call 2 - 3 hypos a week as OK or normal, it suggests BG poor control, for whatever reason. But I'm not a medic and it's only my opinion. I think you have to consider her medication to answer the question properly. If for example she was just taking metformin as is typically prescribed for type IIs, hypos are uncommon, but not impossible. For me, skipping lunch, followed by just a couple of hours of gardening including mowing could do it (shouldn't skip lunch).

If she is on any medication that alters the amount of insulin in her body, Gliclazide tablets or insulin injections for example, then it's a different matter. It could very well be that eating later in the day would be of benefit. When you say hypo, are you saying that her BG is going below 4? I believe I'm right in saying that diabetics who take insulin sometime have a snack before bed time, hopefully somebody will answer that later on.

Sorry if that's not been that helpful, but can you let us know what meds and when she takes them and what time she eats, that might help others to be a bit more helpful. The main thing to remember is that it's not insurmountable, there is a solution to any difficulty.

Reactions: 4 people

denny19701

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry, I'm a slow typist. The other replies got in there while I was typing.

Hi Denny,
t,
welcome to the forum. Personally, I wouldn't call 2 - 3 hypos a week as OK or normal, it suggests BG poor control, for whatever reason. But I'm not a medic and it's only my opinion. I think you have to consider her medication to answer the question properly. If for example she was just taking metformin as is typically prescribed for type IIs, hypos are uncommon, but not impossible. For me, skipping lunch, followed by just a couple of hours of gardening including mowing could do it (shouldn't skip lunch).

If she is on any medication that alters the amount of insulin in her body, Gliclazide tablets or insulin injections for example, then it's a different matter. It could very well be that eating later in the day would be of benefit. When you say hypo, are you saying that her BG is going below 4? I believe I'm right in saying that diabetics who take insulin sometime have a snack before bed time, hopefully somebody will answer that later on.

Sorry if that's not been that helpful, but can you let us know what meds and when she takes them and what time she eats, that might help others to be a bit more helpful. The main thing to remember is that it's not insurmountable, there is a solution to any difficulty.

Thank you so much for that,

she takes Metformin tablet 1x twice daily and also injects insulin.
Breakfast at 8am DINNER at 12.30 and a sandwich at 5ish .
She may have a little fruit in the evening but thats it.

As for the Hypo yep her levels drop down low and always mid-morning.

Again thanks for your time my friend

G

graj0

Interesting that you say mid morning after having porridge for breakfast. There's lots of people on insulin here so I'll not say anything, they'll know much better than I do. I will just mention anecdotally that my father had a similar problem for a while and in his case they decided to lower his insulin dose.

I hope it gets sorted soon, parents are a worry, at least mine is. LOL Bless his cotton socks.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. It always helps to spread the carbs out smoothly during the day to minimise blood sugar spikes and lows. Do you know whether she is on mixed insulin injected twice a day or two different insulins (Basal/Bolus regime) one for the full 24 hours and one for each meal?

denny19701

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. It always helps to spread the carbs out smoothly during the day to minimise blood sugar spikes and lows. Do you know whether she is on mixed insulin injected twice a day or two different insulins (Basal/Bolus regime) one for the full 24 hours and one for each meal?

She takes before each meal. Am i right she should eat an evening meal so it lasts?

rockwidow

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If she is hypo ing that much on the week its not normal. I would have thought she needs to adjust her insulin as it seems she is taking too much but i would urge you to speak to the GP or practice nurse.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
She takes before each meal. Am i right she should eat an evening meal so it lasts?

She will need to adjust her insulin dose to prevent the hypo's from occurring,ask your mam to speak with her Diabetes Nurse and they will advise her further.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All,

A bit of advice please if i may.......... My mother has type 2 but keeps getting Hypo's in the morning? About 2 - 3 per week .
She will have porridge for breakfast and then have her main meal for LUNCH . My question is , should she have main meal n the evening rather than lets say a sandwich ?

I believe her main source of a meal is too long till the next day. Yes she checks her results but they are not high when she goes to bed?

Hope this makes sense as im a little worried and her Doc says this is ok and normal

Please Help

Denny

Hi & wow, this is a first.

I agree with the above advice. If your mum injects for each meal & the dietary regime is consistant then it does seem the insulin dose for breakfast is too much for the carbs eaten. (In this case porrage.) what numbers are the meter reading before breakfast at 8am?