Worried about low blood sugar

sweaty betty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi there - I'm 6-7 weeks pregnant. In previous pregnancies I've always struggled to keep my blood sugar down - mainly in the mornings. In fact I have higher blood sugar at these times even when I'm not pregnant, so it's pretty much a pattern for me.
This time around, I've increased my night time insulin a little and also the breakfast insulin as directed by my DSN and my blood sugar is at normal levels -i.e. within the required ranges (amazing for me!).

I should be pleased about this, knowing how important good control is. However, I'm now worried that the lower readings (when previously I've had soaring readings at this stage) mean that there's something wrong with the baby/I'm going to have a miscarriage.

On a practical level, I know I'm doing all I can to make this pregnancy work. I have a second scan (first showed a heartbeat at 6 weeks) in 10 days time, so I just have to wait it out. But I'm terrified (have lost previous pregnancies) that my good control could mean bad news...

I've also been given HCG injections following previous miscarriages and not sure if that could be having an impact.

Does anyone have any experience of this or similar - any positive experiences would be great!

TIA

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry for your losses. I understand why you're worried now.

I don't think there's any way to know for sure what's happening, and I don't think you should put too much stock in your sugars. My sugars were low a lot early in pregnancy, and each pregnancy is different.

I don't know if HCG would affect your results - could you ask?

Sorry that's not much help, but Ive been worrying throughout my pregnancy about various things, so I know what it's like to have that fear that something's gone wrong. All I can say is keep positive and keep calm and relaxed. Stress isnt good in pregnancy, so if you keep calm then you'll know you're doing something important. Eat well, rest and watch your sugars too.

Good luck. I hope this pregnancy works out for,you. Just take one day at a time.

Lilym13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and congratulations. When pregnant with my daughter the first 3 months i had low numbers! I was so worried as all you hear about is levels going high, but i can confirm that all was well and now have a very cheeky 2 year old running around :)