Metformin Question

barbra

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I have just started taking dapagliflozin 10mg.Have you suffered any side effects please.
ive been taking forxiga for about a month and lost 5 kilos in the first 3 weeks. well happy.sugars gone down, bp gone down. only side effect is weeing all the time but i am drinking heaps!

kazlincs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
ive been on SR metformin for 9 months, and i have gradually lost weight, about a stone and a half i think, along with 2 doggy walks a day and a job where im on my feet all day. i have stayed the same weight for a few weeks now though :-( changing to Low carb, but im in the testing stage at the moment, but once things settle down and i see what works for me and what doesn't, im hoping the weight loss will start again!

Happyone

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who are judgemental
Hi, I'm type 2 diabetic and was on metformin for 20 years, with glicazide added for the last 10 years. Have always struggled with weight, but realised I had to watch what I ate. 6 months ago the doctor found that I had high levels of Lactate which metformin can cause so moved onto insulin and reduced glicazide. Weight issues not changed. In my case I believe that diabetes or medication is not a factor with weight, I just need to be careful as a lot of non diabetics out there.

M

mojo37

Metformin does not lower blood sugars or weight loss to any great extent and isn't intended to. It helps to reduce insulin resistance, appetite, and the production of glucose in the liver - but all to a limited extent. It will not work on its own. It must be taken in conjunction with a suitable diet - ie. reduced carbs. It is not a miracle drug nor a drug that allows you to eat what you like. It is not insulin. If a person takes metformin but does not reduce carbs, blood sugars will barely improve. Appetite may be reduced with Metformin, but weight loss won't improve without a suitable diet.
Well it hasn't reduced my appetite ;)

M

mojo37

I take metformin and one 10mg dapogliflozin tablet which is helping me lose weight. I find I am ok on metformin so long as I stay away from any bad foods or treats. Soon as I indulge in a small treat I'm away to the loo !
I only had the rush tot he loo effect for the first week or so since then its been fine no what what I eat..

M

mojo37

Could be but then I wouldn't have much left to eat.
I don't see how you can say or think like that Sarah ...believe me I absolutely love carbs but I also eat a wide variety of all food stuff ...in far too big quantities I might add hence my diabetic state :rolleyes:

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I haven't lost weight with Metformin. Even though I ultra low carb.

Stravone

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bad drivere
On metformin glucophage Sr and still being sick. Newly diagnosed on 1500mg. Being good with diet but still sick for no readon

life goes on

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm really not happy with Metformin - I am going to ask GP ti change it. Recommendations would be appreciated as i see there are a couple of alternatives and wonder about potential side effects of these. Loo reference above I can relate to and I am on SR as side effects of the others were worse!
I have found by taking half the prescribed dose of slow release metformin in the morning, and the other half before bed it does not have such a bad reaction to my stomach. Certain foods seem to also be problematic: Sundried tomatoes and anything at all spicy seem to cause me enormous problems.- which hadn't been the case when I was not taking metformin. My Dr said by taking slow release there should be no need to take the tablet in to stages, but the effect is significantly better.

life goes on

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
On metformin glucophage Sr and still being sick. Newly diagnosed on 1500mg. Being good with diet but still sick for no readon
I have found by taking half the prescribed dose of slow release metformin in the morning, and the other half before bed it does not have such a bad reaction to my stomach. Certain foods seem to also be problematic: Sundried tomatoes and anything at all spicy seem to cause me enormous problems.- which hadn't been the case when I was not taking metformin. My Dr said by taking slow release there should be no need to take the tablet in to stages, but the effect is significantly better.

ExChocoholic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude, loud people
Agreed on spicy foods comment - will try your suggestion as long as taking SR in two stages doesn't adversely affect BS levels.

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
Just tested the link. It loads as a pdf document.

supermoose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have been on Metformin for 15 years first 1500mg and for the last eight years 2550mg. This was to bring my long term sugar levels averaging just over 7 to nearer 6. For a long time I used to experience gastric rumblings - ranging from digestive discomfort and constant burping to loose movements. A couple of years ago I converted from semi skimmed milk to ALPRO unsweetened almond milk, the burping stopped and the loose movements became less frequent, usually equated to sugar intake. If I revert to semi-skimmed the burping comes back. It is interesting to note that I use full cream milk to cook my porridge without this problem. Not sure this will help you but it might be worth a try.

ExChocoholic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude, loud people
My Blood Sugar 8 week diet suggests eating full fat instead of low fat. There seems to be too much emphasis on low fat these days.

Hpetal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
cold weather!
t
I'm really not happy with Metformin - I am going to ask GP ti change it. Recommendations would be appreciated as i see there are a couple of alternatives and wonder about potential side effects of these. Loo reference above I can relate to and I am on SR as side effects of the others were worse!

I am exactly the same with sr and i also take glicozide, the loo issues are horrendous, IBS symptoms are chronic, I am really fed up with this medication side affects, I am now on the Low carb plan coz if it works I will be coming of metformin.

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
I have no issues with metformin after 18 plus years. I am also pleased that current research on metformin is pointing to beneficial effects in cardiac health and cancer prevention. Here is a link about diabetic medications. The "glitazone" drugs improve the action of insulin like metformin but in a different way. http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/122501-medication#1