Library books - your libraries

C

CheeseJunkie

I've had a chat this week with local librarians.
Stuff on shelves on diabetes is severely out of date. And skewed in the 'official story' direction (load up with carbs). Huge numbers of books that are not useful/very old.

I've been invited to make suggestions for purchases.

What top 10 books would you recommend for any public library in the UK?
I'm thinking both
- explaining currently thinking
and
-dietary and other advice for way forward

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Think Like A Pancreas, by Gary Scheiner
Diabetes 101 by Jenny Ruhl
Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution, by Dr Richard Bernstein

Reactions: 4 people

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
the Gretchen Becker I found really useful, I bought it when I thought I was T2 and it has still been useful)
The Ragnar Hanas book is brilliant for T1s of all ages (pity about the title)

I looked at this book recently and was quite impressed ,its relatively low carb ( but not extremely LCHF) In spite of the title, which reminds me of certain diet 'gurus', itt comes from a mainstream doctor (used to be a consultant at the Bournemouth diabetes centre and now works for the International Diabetes Federation. It seems to have some affiliation with this forum

Reverse Your Diabetes: The Step-by-Step Plan to Take Control of Type 2 Diabetes Dr David Cavan

http://www.diabeteschoices.org.uk/2014/11/11/reverse-your-diabetes-expert-recipe-for-success/

Reactions: 2 people

MidnightStar

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've got Diabetes for Dummies. So far so good. Cannot remember the author

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Think Like a Pancreas and Type1 Diabetes in Children, Adolescents and Young Adults comes highly recommended as does Pumping Insulin.

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What about A Step by Step Guide to Low-Carb Living by Dr Trudi Deakin

C

CheeseJunkie

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. Keep them coming!

I've found the library/borough doesn't even have old classics like Gary Taubes (Good Calorie, Bad Calories) anywhere across the borough (a dozen libraries).
So suggestions for good classics to stock would also be useful.

C

CheeseJunkie

The copy copy I ordered of the Gretchen Becker book arrived in my post box yesterday, and I spent some time going through it last night. It looks really good.

masonbason63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Being type 1, my health and what really grates me are false people who make themselves out to be something when their not
I've just purchased used copies of Think like a Pancreas and Pumping Insulin from Amazon both came from libraries in America and were in excellent condition and worked out so cheap a brilliant purchase

Reactions: 6 people