Cannulas for little body fat %

Kelsie

Hello, I've had my pump (Roche insight) for nearly two months now and use the flex link plus Cannulas and the link assist plus to put them in. I do a lot of weight training and have not much body fat-I'm finding that every cannula is hurting, with some being really really painful when newly inserted. It's getting me down as it smarts/stings for ages and then any movement it hurts my cannula-especially when I lie on my tummy in bed! I have a v small area with enough 'podge' for it to be manageable and that's what I call the female pooch. Does any other highly trained people with pumps suffer with this?? If not, what Cannulas do you use?! I really need to change to something as I can't bear the continuous pain! Plus I want to get my body fat down/muscle percentage up. Any help would be really appreciated!

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Have no idea really but would a different length of cannula help or perhaps if it's digging in then try an angled set?

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm not familiar with those sets but people with low body fat usually find angled sets better. If yours are straight and longer than 6mm I would either try the shortest length you can or try an angled set.

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I use the flex link 6mm straight cannula and have been experiencing more pain than usual. Then, on my last one was extremely painful, took it out and was leaking blood like a tap. Like yourself, little body fat. Thinking of trying the angled sets again because of this but found then a bit awkward to insert. Might have to persevere a few more times trying to get the angled ones in correctly.

Reactions: 2 people

Kelsie

I had the same problem today Brett-put one it, hurt like hell and blood was coming out the actual cannula, removed it and blood was coming out quite a bit v sore now still

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If your pump has a luer lock you can look at the Inset 30s from Animas. Really easy to insert and great for lean pumpers.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
The insight pump has its own unique cover and is not compatible with any other pump at all.

Try the rapid steels.

As everyone here probably knows.. I have insight, 6mm rapids and 100mm tubes.

Flexs were blocking, kinking etc with me but the rapids and separate tubes are available and no insertion device. Helluva lot better than the flex.

I too am very lean, do not ever use my stomach. Just my bum. Used bum for vast, vadt majority of 30+ years with needles and sets due to being so lean and muscly.

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
No problem with the flex links or tubing for me, its the actual insertion cannula has been the problem, tried the steel cannulas also previously, but unlike with the Teflon one could constantly feel it. I know you can, but really don't want a cannula stuck in my **** lol. I will be trying the angled sets again

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Angled ones with Insight weren't available.
However, I do think that everyone that is having problems should let Accuchek know.
1) this maybe specifically something linked to the new flex insight cannulas.
2) if they aren't suitable for lean people then the reps and nurses should be told.

5 years ago, when nobody here thought there was a problem with flexlink plus's on the combo pump I complained to the MHRA and Accuchek. I could see there was a problem.
Sure enough because enough other people around complaining they investigated and withdrew the sets.

There maybe a genuine problem with these sets.

It has taken me months to get my levels to be totally balanced again since I went from the combo rapids to the flex insight and now the rapids. I could not get my levels good with the flex. It has talen 6 weekd to finally get all my readings (today) within 5-7 again.

Personally again, I think there is something wrong with the flex's. However, it may be that they are 100% not suitable for lean people but Accuchek and DSN's should be aware of this if this is the case.

If people with some degreeof some fat are getting this problem, please also report it. I showed a picture on here and to accuchek of how the plastic cannula actually lifted out my bum cheek without me actually realising!! So please guys just let Accuchek know.

Blondie153

My daughter is very lean and cannot use her tummy at all. She rotates around her bottom, thighs and base of her back. She has to sit down and try and bunch up her skin to get enough but she manages. It also gives her six sites to rotate around, three on each side. That is with a 6mm straight Canula. She freaked when she saw the angled and refused to attempt it.

iHs

If your pump has a luer lock you can look at the Inset 30s from Animas. Really easy to insert and great for lean pumpers.

The Inset 30 is easy to insert and is not painful. It hurts less than an Inset II or Flexlink and the Tenderlink, cant touch it and I doubt if the other brands of 30 degree angle sets can compete.

nikkid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My daughter is very lean and cannot use her tummy at all. She rotates around her bottom, thighs and base of her back. She has to sit down and try and bunch up her skin to get enough but she manages. It also gives her six sites to rotate around, three on each side. That is with a 6mm straight Canula. She freaked when she saw the angled and refused to attempt it.

I am also very lean- size 6-8 and have tried both inset 30 and inset 2. I was surprised to find that the inset 2 was much more comfortable 1. To insert and 2. To wear compared to the Angled set. Everyone is different but it might be worth getting some samples from your pump supplier and seeing which ones work best for her?

Blondie153

I am also very lean- size 6-8 and have tried both inset 30 and inset 2. I was surprised to find that the inset 2 was much more comfortable 1. To insert and 2. To wear compared to the Angled set. Everyone is different but it might be worth getting some samples from your pump supplier and seeing which ones work best for her?
Thanks for your advice I will do