Need a Lantus meter with memory

hague161

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Tabloid newspapers, Right wing politics, Semolina
For my quick acting insulin I'm able to use the brilliant Memoir Pen from Lilly, but nothing of the kind is available from Sanofli for Lantus. Last week I made the mistake (I think) of taking my long acting insulin twice and had a horrendous hypo in the night. Of course I can't check exactly what I did, because my pen doesn't have a memory. All insulins should in my opinion have a memory pen available to go with them - I'd gladly pay for it by the way. What do others think? Yes I do have a strategy for checking and I do keep a log book, but the only fool-proof way to be certain of exactly what you did, how much and when is a pen with memory. If you use Sanofli and you'd like a memory pen, write to them as I have. You never know, they might actually reply to you!!!

Reactions: 2 people

Flowerpot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Have a look at Timesulin which is a timer cap that fits on to most pens including Sanofi and shows the time since your last injection.

hague161

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Tabloid newspapers, Right wing politics, Semolina
Have a look at Timesulin which is a timer cap that fits on to most pens including Sanofi and shows the time since your last injection.
Hi Yes - I got a Timesulin, but it just didn't work. I worked with the company and had several replacements, but they either false triggered or didn't trigger at all and in the end I just gave up. So that might not be the magic bullet. And it is never going to be as good as a pen that tells you when and how much and stores the last few doses in memory. If Lilly and Novo Nordisk can do it then Lantus could if they cared about us, but they don't. And unfortunately they don't have any effective competition for a long acting analog insulin right now - Shame on you Lantus.

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh but they do have competition - Levemir and Tresiba by NovoNordisc :)

Signy

Injector1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh but they do have competition - Levemir and Tresiba by NovoNordisc :)

Signy
I believe that NovoNordisk do make a memory pen mainly aimed at children - do you know if that will work with either Levemir or Tresiba?

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I believe that NovoNordisk do make a memory pen mainly aimed at children - do you know if that will work with either Levemir or Tresiba?

The Novonordisc Echo is the latest in the stable,, it's a half unit pen with a memory function and suitable for adults and children. It's quite classy looking- for an insulin pen !! :D

It takes Levemir cartridges and other Novo ones, but I'm unsure about Tresiba. Others will know :)

Signy

Injector1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The Novonordisc Echo is the latest in the stable,, it's a half unit pen with a memory function and suitable for adults and children. It's quite classy looking- for an insulin pen !! :D

It takes Levemir cartridges and other Novo ones, but I'm unsure about Tresiba. Others will know :)

Signy
Did you get your echo pen on prescription or did you have to buy it. I note that they are £53 on Amazon. Has anyone out there changed from Lantus to Levemir or vice-versa did you find any discernible difference? Although Lantus is supposed to be taken once per day, I split my dose into two injections anyway, so I wouldn't be bothered if that's what you have to do with Levemir.

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
* lightbulb moment * Tagging @Juicyj re Tresiba .

I have both my Echoes on prescription. Usually GP's and DSN's are happy to change pens, especially if you use half units, or disposables because cartridges are cheaper in the long run. Also, it's recommended that pens be replaced every few years or so, I was told four years. So it's definitely worth an ask :)

I changed from Lantus to eventually Levemir ( long story , but search for Lantus in the forum search ! Lol ) . I get on much much better on Levemir , it has a much better action and profile for me. I really, truly dodnt get on with Lantus, but I know it works well for others. I do split Levemir .

Signy

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I moved from Lantus to Levemir in January. Best thing I've done really. Totally changed my control. Might want to search for the thread Lantus Users as both @Heathenlass and my stories are in there @hague161 and @Injector1.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Signy
Yes Tresiba works in Echo pens

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you Robert ! You had no idea how long I spent trying to remember the numbers in your name to tag you !:rolleyes::D

Signy

Picci

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I get my Echo pens from my GP. I have a red and blue one. I use the red one for rapid (novorapid) and the blue one for levimer, I associate blue one to night time.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I get my Echo pens from my GP. I have a red and blue one. I use the red one for rapid (novorapid) and the blue one for levimer, I associate blue one to night time.
I'm the other way around. I had the blue one first (when I was still on Lantus) so thought I'd better stick to that when I got the red one for Tresiba.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Wouldn't you think that they'd be more pens like the Echo and Memoir available to fit all penfill cartridges,

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I got a new echo pen on prescription a few weeks ago for my Novorapid after changing up from Flexpens as I was finding more and more often that I was needing half doses. I've been using the same old Novo Junior pen for my Levemir for several years...I actually think probably something like 10-12 years...it's never failed me yet but have now been prescribed a brand new blue Echopen as a replacement. The colour coding works really well for me and I love the reassurance of having the memory function as there have been occasions over the years when I've not been sure if I've injected or not and chosen to play it safe and not inject if I think there is even a small chance I may have done it already. This is a new toy for me at the moment but it would be nice to see more of these pens available...such a simple function but so useful.

zjed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Lazy Doctors and Endos
I swapped to Levemir just so I could use the Echo, I then started having an allergic reaction to the Levemir and had to go back to Lantus.
I was so annoyed with the Sanofi pens that I developed a method to use Lantus in the Echo!
The main problem is that a lantus cartridge is slightly fatter and shorter than a novo cartridge.
For the width, I put 2 lengthwise cuts through the sticker and peel half the sticker off (leaving the Lantus name)
For the length, you need a 2mm ring the same diameter as the cartridge, I found a tent pole sleeve cut to 2mm works well. Make sure this is the right size or it may interfere with the pens plunger if incorrect.
Then, click off the plastic cap from any novo cartridge and put it on your lantus cartridge.
Put the Lantus cartridge in the holder, ring on top of the cartridge and assemble as usual.

This method has 2 drawbacks :-
- due to the difference in cartridge width, you are giving 6% more Lantus than novo, this needs to be taken into account when swapping to/from this method. ie 9.5u from the Echo = 10u from a sanofi pen.
- auto stop at the end of the cartridge does not work, make sure you check for this before each use and I would make sure that the plunger is never pushed into the end of the cartridge as this may damage the pen.

Not for the faint hearted but I love it, I've been using this method for a couple of months now without issue. I have just told Sanofi that this I what I was doing because their pens are useless, they were a bit shocked but are now talking to me about new pens in the pipeline. Hopefully it might expedite there release.

StewartH

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I swapped to Levemir just so I could use the Echo, I then started having an allergic reaction to the Levemir and had to go back to Lantus.
I was so annoyed with the Sanofi pens that I developed a method to use Lantus in the Echo!
The main problem is that a lantus cartridge is slightly fatter and shorter than a novo cartridge.
For the width, I put 2 lengthwise cuts through the sticker and peel half the sticker off (leaving the Lantus name)
For the length, you need a 2mm ring the same diameter as the cartridge, I found a tent pole sleeve cut to 2mm works well. Make sure this is the right size or it may interfere with the pens plunger if incorrect.
Then, click off the plastic cap from any novo cartridge and put it on your lantus cartridge.
Put the Lantus cartridge in the holder, ring on top of the cartridge and assemble as usual.

This method has 2 drawbacks :-
- due to the difference in cartridge width, you are giving 6% more Lantus than novo, this needs to be taken into account when swapping to/from this method. ie 9.5u from the Echo = 10u from a sanofi pen.
- auto stop at the end of the cartridge does not work, make sure you check for this before each use and I would make sure that the plunger is never pushed into the end of the cartridge as this may damage the pen.

Not for the faint hearted but I love it, I've been using this method for a couple of months now without issue. I have just told Sanofi that this I what I was doing because their pens are useless, they were a bit shocked but are now talking to me about new pens in the pipeline. Hopefully it might expedite there release.
I have not seen a Lantus memory pen yet so assume sanofil continue not to care that much. I have exactly the same issue as zjed. I changed away from Lantus to use the Echo pen but I think I am having a mild alergic reaction to Levemir. Zjed, I was considering trying to adapt the pen to take Lantus and your success has inspired me. Good post. Thanks