Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sarah
You seriously need to look after yourself. 5 yrs and you are still no wiser
To what food is best for your condition. There must be some food on the
Low carb high fat diet that you can eat? Rice crispies are full of sugar
It's sugar that has to go.
My mother in law had a phobia about food. Wouldn't eat this or that,
you sound a lot like her with what you have posted.
you need to stop putting your head in the sand, and start looking to make
Yourself better, and getting your levels under control, before something
Serious happens.
Have you even tried any of the food you portray to not liking? Or is it your
Eyes telling you that you know you won't like it.

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm going to come to the defence of @Sarah69 she wasn't the original poster who seems to have deleted their post. I've been on this forum almost as long as Sarah, so have seen her posts over the years. I have read her problems with food. She has had diabetes for 18 years - in my book that is a long time to be living with this. You also have to remember that dietary advice has changed over this period. It is all very well people who have only had diabetes for a couple of years to be telling her what to do.

I'm sure Sarah is aware of the complications that diabetes can bring, I'm sure she reads more than she posts. The fact that she has stayed around the forum for seven years, probably means that the forum helps her in the sometimes lonely journey with diabetes.

We don't know Sarah's income, so some of the dietary advice given here may be out of her budget. We don't know what else is going on in her life. We also do not know the whole of her medical history.

It is up to the individual what medication they take and how they live their life. This thread seems to me to be a bit on an attack on Sarah, when she was only sympathising with the original poster.

I advocate cutting carbs as it is the best way to lower levels, but I will never get the results that some people get. I've been diagnosed nearly 8 years and was probably undiagnosed for at least another 5 years. Newly diagnosed people have the best chance of turning it around.

You only have to watch the TV programmes about super obese people to understand that food is not just nourishment.

If Sarah wants to talk to me, please PM me.

Reactions: 31 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Sarah ... buy some strawberries and such ... if it ends in berry it's pretty good for diabetics.
Buy big tub of full fat plain yoghurt and bung as many strawberries and what have you as you like in .... mush up/blend a few.
Bung some sweeteners in too to suit your taste.
The shop ones are stuffed with sugar your own mix will be much healthier.
I've gotten quite addicted to my own style yoghurts now.
Re seeing someone about an addiction .... doesn't matter if it's chocolate or heroin you'll discover that addiction is because of underlying problems in your life possibly in the past.
The heroin the alcohol or the chocolate makes us feel good by smothering our feelings of self.
Addiction isn't about escaping reality as such it's more about escaping the reality of self.
Addiction makes us comfortably numb for a short while regarding whatever is hurting us.

Reactions: 2 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've stayed out of this thread so far, I'm joining now to say I agree with JTL about addiction. I've had 18 counselling sessions to date and am not yet finished, but feel I am getting somewhere at last. Good luck with yours. Be as open and honest as you can and be aware that it won't be easy. It will be well worth it though. :)

Reactions: 9 people
C

catherinecherub

'm going to come to the defence of @Sarah69 she wasn't the original poster who seems to have deleted their post.
There was a glitch when I transferred some of these posts from another thread as the OP on that thread was not getting any answers to their query
and the whole thread was being devoted to answering @Sarah69. I got an error message when I started this thread for Sarah and the first and last post that I transferred were omitted. There was nothing I could do about it and I am sorry if it has caused confusion. I did liaise with @Mike D to tell him what had happened and he was OK with that as he looks as though he is the OP. Hope that clears that up @))Denise((.

Sarah needs help rather than people telling her what they think is likely to happen if she does not conform to some people's way of thinking about diet. It may be that Sarah is an emotional eater and nothing that she eats is going to change that without professional input. . It may be that Sarah has to budget for a family whilst on a low income and I am sure that she has said before that her children do not like changing their eating habits. We all know how difficult it is to cater for a family as opposed to an individual.

@Sarah69, I feel for you and think that you do need some psychological help where you can mention your chocolate addiction but also the difficulties you have with food choices that help to manage your diabetes. We are not clever enough here to be able to tell you the right way forward for you but are always willing to help if you need us.

I would also caution you that if you do mange a few changes to be careful of your reactions because you are on a lot of medication and insulin that could cause hypos for you. Make sure you let your provider know so that your medication can be reviewed.

Baby steps @Sarah69, a few changes may make a huge difference and the more knowledgeable you become about food choices then the more chance you have of being happier and healthier. Do let us know how your psychology appointment goes and how you are progressing. Any questions then please ask.

Take care,

CC.

Reactions: 21 people

Spencer67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs and Blue Meanies
@Sarah69 dont punish yourself too much just go one step at a time, i had the same issues with food and still do but my lc regime is getting better but we all cheat, but put aside a day where you will have a low carb day, make a menu and stick to it... like eggs and bacon for breakfast, a cheesey tuna salad for dinner and maybe in the evening a cheese and mushroom omelet, chill out with a glass of red wine, most are lc, you will see your bg is pretty stable and you will feel better with yourself. then do as you do and then plan another day, before you know it you'll be low carbing like a pro. its just learning to make the right choices and then putting them into practice. i know how hard it is, it can be a real struggle to make the change but i think your getting there just by the conflict going on in you. gl anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I feel it's important to say that Sarah and original poster well done for talking about your fears and difficulties that is hard

Reactions: 9 people

MikeZ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Before I was diagnosed, eating dinner was probably the high point of my day. I LOVED to eat large tasty meals of all sorts. I did not have a helluva lot going on in my life other than food and work so cutting out the best part of my day seemed like a bit much to ask... regardless of consequences. However, once I made the decision to eat healthy and exercise, the other options to my day opened up. Maybe what Sarah needs are some ideas outside of her diet to fulfill her so that she doesn't rely on food for satisfaction.

I'm not loving my meals these days. They are good but I don't sit around looking forward to dinner as the highlight of each day. The highlight should be what you do when not eating. If you eat right you will find it easier enjoy the other aspects of life.

JMO

Reactions: 5 people

lynne99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
always better 2 fix the fence early b4 the animals escape!
I can agree with that. I have 2 goats who are excellent escape artists, even with out a broken fence They climb on the donkey and jump over :)
Keep up being helpful and try a bit of empathy and humour, it works well.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
I have a friend with quite serious phobia problems but her mantra is "cant means dont want to"
CAROL
Whilst counselling - I found folk saying - they cant .
Meant they don't or didn't know - ' how ' to .

Wasn't a case of they didn't want to at all ...

Baby steps - one step at a time worked best with them .
Till they found out a way forward or self discovered their own way(s) out .

moonchip

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm going to come to the defence of @Sarah69 she wasn't the original poster who seems to have deleted their post. I've been on this forum almost as long as Sarah, so have seen her posts over the years. I have read her problems with food. She has had diabetes for 18 years - in my book that is a long time to be living with this. You also have to remember that dietary advice has changed over this period. It is all very well people who have only had diabetes for a couple of years to be telling her what to do.

I'm sure Sarah is aware of the complications that diabetes can bring, I'm sure she reads more than she posts. The fact that she has stayed around the forum for seven years, probably means that the forum helps her in the sometimes lonely journey with diabetes.

We don't know Sarah's income, so some of the dietary advice given here may be out of her budget. We don't know what else is going on in her life. We also do not know the whole of her medical history.

It is up to the individual what medication they take and how they live their life. This thread seems to me to be a bit on an attack on Sarah, when she was only sympathising with the original poster.

I advocate cutting carbs as it is the best way to lower levels, but I will never get the results that some people get. I've been diagnosed nearly 8 years and was probably undiagnosed for at least another 5 years. Newly diagnosed people have the best chance of turning it around.

You only have to watch the TV programmes about super obese people to understand that food is not just nourishment.

If anything I have posted on this or any thread has been perceived by anyone to have been an 'attack' or 'negative' or similar, then I sincerely apologise as this has & will never be my intention.

Like most here, I feel I am well meaning and well intentioned and only wish to help others by doing what this forum does, sharing idea's & thoughts and trying to support others

If whatever I have posted has upset or aggrieved anyone in any way, shape or form then I must stress my sincerest & most whole-hearted apology

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 8 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Me too. Echo
Moonchip last thoughts...

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!

Thank you for your kind words. I am going to give the low carb another go. I will just concentrate on breakfast 1st of all.

More information about me I'm 46, was diagnosed with gestational diabetes in 1991 then it disappeared, I was told that I would probably have it later in life. Then it reappeared in 1997 to stay! Apart from diabetes I have osteoarthritis, I was diagnosed with depression in 2010 (due to undiagnosed chronic hip pain, later to be diagnosed in 2012 as osteoarthritis of the hip and needing a total hip and the fact I wasn't able to work) but slowly coming off anti depressants now. I'm on morphine for pain. I used to get bad headaches for days on end so now take tablets that prevent them. I have no idea why I'm so fussy with food. I don't really enjoy savoury and don't like spicy foreign foods. I like plain British foods, I like pasta meals and chilli and curry now and again. I work full time as a carer if I work a full day I'm up at 5.45am for a 7am start, I'm home again at 10am out between 12-2pm then home, then out from 4-8 and usually in bed by 9.30. Working these hours seems to make eating more difficult. When I wasn't working I could eat just 3 proper meals a day. I have no emotional issues connected with food I just like what I like. I have children aged 18 & 23 so have to buy for them also. I do have a limited budget for food. Apart from being a fussy eater my main issue is chocolate. I believe it may go back to when I was first diagnosed and probably being told 'you can't eat chocolate', so I did the opposite and ate more. I just love it, it is like a drug to me. If I eat some I'm fine and I don't mean just a small bar for instance if there's a pack of 4 ripples on offer for £1 I'll buy it and eat all four. I've eaten a sharing bag of malteasers at once. If I don't have any then it's on my mind and I'll have to go and buy it, this where I'm hoping a psychologist will help me. I don't know what else I can tell you about myself, I'm happy, loving the job I'm in, have a bit of debt but who doesn't! If there's anything else you want to know just ask. I am determined to try and give this low carb a go with the help of everyone but don't wish to be a pain in the ass!

Reactions: 10 people