Hi everyone

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone.....and thank you for adding me to your group. I hope that we can all get to know each other over time and I just know that I am going to find a lot of help here. Right now I feel a bit lost and confused after being told firstly that I am diabetic and then that I am borderline and will be diabetic. I am hoping to reverse the situation if I can get some idea what to do to enable me to do that. I look forward to getting to know you all and to sharing a few smiles along the way :)

Reactions: 8 people

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Gezzabelle, welcome to the forums, @daisy1 will be along soon with your welcome pack full of very useful information. Do come back with questions, we have been where you are and know it can be confusing as you start out.

Reactions: 2 people

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Gezzabelle, welcome to the forums, @daisy1 will be along soon with your welcome pack full of very useful information. Do come back with questions, we have been where you are and know it can be confusing as you start out.
I guess my biggest question right now has to be....Am I diabetic or not? My bloods were taken and results said HbA1c was 6.5....the nurse said I was therefore type 2 diabetic and to see the doctor. The doctor scoffed at me when I said I was there to have him confirm I am diabetic. He said I am NOT and to go home and have a glass of wine :( He said I probably would be one day but right now I am borderline. All information I have seen about it says 6.5 is diabetic....is this the case? My gp said to repeat bloods in 3 or 6 months ''if I wanted to''???.....doesn't seem to be very concerned or helpful and that in itself is making me scared as I have no clue what to do other than try and change what I eat and exercise more. I am now trying to work out what I should eat and finding this group helpful with so much information on here. The hardest part is what do I eat and not knowing if it is working :( Before the bloods I felt exhausted all the time and changed to Low GL way of eating and it seems to help as I now feel full of energy and bright as a button so less carb seems the way to go.....I think lol

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Gezzabelle

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

You have the right idea to eat less carbs. That is the most important thing you can do for yourself at the moment, and exercise. This will lower your blood levels so maybe you won't become fully diabetic. If you want to see if your efforts are working, get yourself a testing kit. By testing before and 2 hours after meals you can see what effect particular foods have on your levels. This is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask all the questions you want and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 140,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Reactions: 4 people

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi everyone.....and thank you for adding me to your group. I hope that we can all get to know each other over time and I just know that I am going to find a lot of help here. Right now I feel a bit lost and confused after being told firstly that I am diabetic and then that I am borderline and will be diabetic. I am hoping to reverse the situation if I can get some idea what to do to enable me to do that. I look forward to getting to know you all and to sharing a few smiles along the way :)

Welcome to the forum , you have come to the right place and at the right time. You will get loads of great wisdom and help from the people here.

By the way did anybody test your FBG.?

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I guess my biggest question right now has to be....Am I diabetic or not? My bloods were taken and results said HbA1c was 6.5....the nurse said I was therefore type 2 diabetic and to see the doctor. The doctor scoffed at me when I said I was there to have him confirm I am diabetic. He said I am NOT and to go home and have a glass of wine :( He said I probably would be one day but right now I am borderline. All information I have seen about it says 6.5 is diabetic....is this the case? My gp said to repeat bloods in 3 or 6 months ''if I wanted to''???.....doesn't seem to be very concerned or helpful and that in itself is making me scared as I have no clue what to do other than try and change what I eat and exercise more. I am now trying to work out what I should eat and finding this group helpful with so much information on here. The hardest part is what do I eat and not knowing if it is working :( Before the bloods I felt exhausted all the time and changed to Low GL way of eating and it seems to help as I now feel full of energy and bright as a button so less carb seems the way to go.....I think lol
Have you had a lucaze test .. Where they take your blood .. you drink a set amount of this sugar packed drink in the Drs and sit around for what feels like forever and they retake your blood. Then they can see how quickley your body handles the sugar. I had about 4 of these tests over 4 years before my Drs finally managed to prove I was diabetic ! The nurses did high 5s to each other at me testing positive ..think they are on commission!

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
Hello and welcome.
The Dr told my hubby he had elevated blood sugers,anothe Dr said he hadnt.He didnt ask for results .
Whatever he is he is eating the same as me,and tests about the same,he has lost a stone.
I keep telling him to have another test,but he takes no notice.
Realy they should have sent for him.as this is two years ago.

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome.
The Dr told my hubby he had elevated blood sugers,anothe Dr said he hadnt.He didnt ask for results .
Whatever he is he is eating the same as me,and tests about the same,he has lost a stone.
I keep telling him to have another test,but he takes no notice.
Realy they should have sent for him.as this is two years ago.
I feel for you Patricia....it's bad enough being told different things without having all the uncertainty about what to do next. If I dare to Google anything my GP says well in future when you are ill don't come to see me...just Google it which isn't very helpful at all. I am going to ignore his advice about ''going home and have glass of wine'' and do the best I can with diet and exercise and then go for repeat bloods in 3 months. Maybe your husband should have a regular Well Man checkup which would include a full blood screen which would show and issues with his blood sugar and show if he has improved or needs help?

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you had a lucaze test .. Where they take your blood .. you drink a set amount of this sugar packed drink in the Drs and sit around for what feels like forever and they retake your blood. Then they can see how quickley your body handles the sugar. I had about 4 of these tests over 4 years before my Drs finally managed to prove I was diabetic ! The nurses did high 5s to each other at me testing positive ..think they are on commission!
No I haven't had that test. I just had a full blood screen as part of my ''well woman'' check up and it showed HbA1c reading of 48 or 6.5 and the doctor says it is borderline whilst the nurse says I am diabetic and I have been given no advice on diet etc so now have to try and do it for myself.

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome to the forum , you have come to the right place and at the right time. You will get loads of great wisdom and help from the people here.

The result of 48 or 6.5 was my fasting blood result....I only had a fasting blood test . The nurse said my non fasting result wasn't fine but gave no details...and it confuses me as to what non fasting result she meant as I hadn't had a non fasting blood test taken? So confused.

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
The result of 48 or 6.5 was my fasting blood result....I only had a fasting blood test . The nurse said my non fasting result wasn't fine but gave no details...and it confuses me as to what non fasting result she meant as I hadn't had a non fasting blood test taken? So confused.

The HbA1c test can be done when you have not fasted because the result just gives your average from the last three months.

The FBG is obviously done after fasting. I dont understand why you have not been called in to do the FBG test.

Just last week my wife was tested , HbA1c was 6.5% a bit too high, but her FBG was 5.0 mmoles/l which is normal.

Last edited by a moderator:

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. To do an HBa1C blood test, blood has to be taken by a phlebotomist and the samples tested in a path lab. These days this is a non-fasting test. A random finger prick test doesn't tell you that much and a fasting prick test tells you even less. An HBa1C blood result of 6.5% is definitely a diabetic level. If it was a finger-prick test than it's non-diabetic. If it was a fasting test taken by a phlebotomist from the arm, then the results aren't of much use. So, I think you may need to check with the nurse what blood tests were done and I suspect she is right and the GP is not taking it seriously?

Reactions: 5 people

JAY1JAY1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
No I haven't had that test. I just had a full blood screen as part of my ''well woman'' check up and it showed HbA1c reading of 48 or 6.5 and the doctor says it is borderline whilst the nurse says I am diabetic and I have been given no advice on diet etc so now have to try and do it for myself.
I have never done this test either, had blood test doc told me have another test as I think your borderline 2nd test he said your diabetic, put me on Meds and said see the nurse. Very lost and confused but the folks on here have helped sort things out . Welcome and good look

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi and welcome. To do an HBa1C blood test, blood has to be taken by a phlebotomist and the samples tested in a path lab. These days this is a non-fasting test. A random finger prick test doesn't tell you that much and a fasting prick test tells you even less. An HBa1C blood result of 6.5% is definitely a diabetic level. If it was a finger-prick test than it's non-diabetic. If it was a fasting test taken by a phlebotomist from the arm, then the results aren't of much use. So, I think you may need to check with the nurse what blood tests were done and I suspect she is right and the GP is not taking it seriously?

Hi sorry for my reply taking so long but there seemed to be a glitch that stopped me answering. The bloods I had done were all fasting so I can only assume the FBG was done. The only reading I was given was 48 or 6.5 and was told that my fasting blood sugar was fine but the one that averaged the last 3 months wasn't. The nurse says I AM diabetic...the doctor says I am borderline and I have been left with no information other than ''change my diet and exercise more'' and to re test in 3 or 6 months ''if I want to '' So perhaps you can see now how confusing it all is to me and why I turned to this group to try and find out what I need to do.

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have never done this test either, had blood test doc told me have another test as I think your borderline 2nd test he said your diabetic, put me on Meds and said see the nurse. Very lost and confused but the folks on here have helped sort things out . Welcome and good look
I hear you Jay1Jay on the confused bit....nothing worse than not having a clue to what's next. I am hoping we can both find the answers here :)

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The tests were done on a fasting blood test and I was told the HbA1c was 48 or 6.5 and that my fating blood was fine but not the average over 3 month ne. Is the HbA1c the one that is the average over 3 months test? I really have no clue what all the letters, numbers and names of things diabetic mean. I have to have HbA1c, Ferritin and Folate repeat tests if I choose to in 3 or 6 months. The doctor was'nt really bothered to be honest. He just said one day you will be diabetic....just go home and have a glass of wine !! He also totally ignored a marker that had shown up in my tests...an ESR marker which I believe shows up inflammation.....he said oh just forget that.....so you can see the attitude and lack of care I am dealing with

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi Gezzabelle,

Thats interesting, my wife, a non diabetic just got her blood test results. HbA1c was like yours at 6.5 % and her FBG was 5.0 mmoles/l
In any event I think the advice to diet and exercise a bit ,is good. Its enough to walk most days. I am pre-diabetic and chose to do the LCHF diet and it really does bring great results. So why not get started on your method of choice and report back in three months for new tests. Good luck.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Hi Gezzabelle, welcome :)

An HbA1c of 48 is diabetic but only just, and is equivalent to 6.5% when those units were used. The 'spot reading' equivalent is 7.8 mmol/l (see http://www.diabetes.co.uk/hba1c-units-converter.html). It looks to me like your GP might have confused 6.5% with 6.5 mmol/l.

Either way, the condition is manageable and there are actions you can take to stop it getting worse and bring your HbA1c back to normal levels, i.e 42 or less. The key is significantly reducing carbohydrates in your diet as well as obvious sugars.

There's lots to take on board, but have a look at the items linked in my sig below and ask any questions. Good luck!

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Gezzabelle,

Thats interesting, my wife, a non diabetic just got her blood test results. HbA1c was like yours at 6.5 % and her FBG was 5.0 mmoles/l
In any event I think the advice to diet and exercise a bit ,is good. Its enough to walk most days. I am pre-diabetic and chose to do the LCHF diet and it really does bring great results. So why not get started on your method of choice and report back in three months for new tests. Good luck.
Thanks Pasha...I have changed my diet dramatically, cutting out carbs, sugar, salt and eating more protein. Also doing exercise ( 10km on my exercise bike today) and losing weight steadily as I had piled on a few pounds. I just need to get my head round what I can and can't eat and then hopefully I can re test and get better results. I am not sure what the LCHF diet is lol....I will be reading up on all the info on this site to find out all I need to know. Right now I just thank God for it cos I have nowhere else to turn

Reactions: 4 people

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Gezzabelle, welcome :)

An HbA1c of 48 is diabetic but only just, and is equivalent to 6.5% when those units were used. The 'spot reading' equivalent is 7.8 mmol/l (see http://www.diabetes.co.uk/hba1c-units-converter.html). It looks to me like your GP might have confused 6.5% with 6.5 mmol/l.

Either way, the condition is manageable and there are actions you can take to stop it getting worse and bring your HbA1c back to normal levels, i.e 42 or less. The key is significantly reducing carbohydrates in your diet as well as obvious sugars.

There's lots to take on board, but have a look at the items linked in my sig below and ask any questions. Good luck!
Wow thanks so much for all the information.....I am sure it will prove very helpful. I have been going in blind so to speak but have cut carbs, sugar and salt either right down or out of my diet and already feel so much better than I did per blood test....less tired and lethargic. I will read up on all the links you so kindly sent and act on them and then hopefully kick this diabetes to the wall :)