Big bleed from Infusion Site

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I don't think I even know what rapids are.... That I have 6mm flexlink?......

As you went on to Insight pump at the launch of it, like me, you would only have been given the option of the plastic flexlinks.

The lovely chap I speak to at accuchek told me as soon as the rapid 6mm steel cannulas were available as he has known me now for a very long time... And I reported accuchek to MHRA 5 years ago for sets that were eventually withdrawn with the old combo pump.

The rapids initially became available 3 months ago and you can now order tubes separately. (Which only became possible about 1 month ago). Before the separate tube and black connector wasn't available separately for my 100mm tubes so I had to order the 8mm flexlink with 100mm tube as well and literally throw the flexlink away.

Now you can order the rapid steel sets and tubes separtely.

Personally I find the steels 100% better than flexlinks all round for bleeds and comfort and holes. I only use my bum cheeks, no where else

LizzieNI

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm on the aviva combo, not the insight pump. Is that why I've not heard of rapids?

LizzieNI

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
O I am sorry Lizzie. It does seem to be limited in lots of places. I know my pct were generous with a choice of 5 but now it's just one. Would they be open to individual circumstances funding? It can be done in UK but I'm not sure with Ireland. Personally there is one company I'd never go near again and the reason was enough to get me a different type
I'm in northern Ireland, part of UK. It's just accuchek that have an island wide rep. ;) I couldn't possibly self fund as I have other illnesses and survive on benefits.

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
No prob Lizzie. It is tough situation your in. I kinda wish I had an answer to help but alas I don't I hope you find an answer thou. I mean would be up for going for another pump

Reactions: 2 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm on the aviva combo, not the insight pump. Is that why I've not heard of rapids?

I'm not sure about the Combo but I use my fab, reliable D Tron pump with Rapid Ds and that's an older pump than the Combo so it may be worth checking.

LizzieNI

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
No prob Lizzie. It is tough situation your in. I kinda wish I had an answer to help but alas I don't I hope you find an answer thou. I mean would be up for going for another pump
I already suggested that and was told not until I'm up for renewal in 4 years. I guess if serious problems they might change me but this isn't enough. Thanks Faye. X

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes

Sorry looked back and there was a quote saying you were on the Indight..

Rapid d's have been around for at least 5 years on combo pump.

Some dsn's and pump reps just start you off on flex ones and never tell you other options...

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Oh, I know your rep... And know that NI you are not getting updated accucheck pumps either.. Friend was expecting a newInsight and just got a replacement combo.

Friend uses rapid d's. She has to order supplies through the hospital?? Is that the same for you?

iHs

As steel needle sets go, the Rapid Ds from Accuchek which have the luer tubes for the Combo pump and will also fit the Animas Vibe (with a bit of cutting away a tiny bit of the flexible wings either side of the luer connection with a pair of scissors), are easy to insert in the backside and most other places as long as the tail piece of the swivel connector about 8ins along the tube, can be undone ok. The only place where this is difficult is on the arm, as trying to undo the swivel connector one handed is impossible unless help comes from another person.
The steel needle sets from Animas dont have a swivel connector along the tube, instead its just a tube clip connector which can be stuck on the skin or stuck on a piece of plastic bag (cut around the adhesive with a pair of scisssors) to enable the tube clip to be undone without sticking it to the skin. Taking out the steel needle after 2 days usually needs a good spray with adhesive remover as the adhesive keeps the needle firmly stuck to the skin or do what DD does and have a soak in a hot soapy bath to enable set removal to be ok.

Re.....the teflon 90 degree cannulas on the Flexlinks, Insets, Mio, Quicksets......these will leave a tiny hole when the cannula is removed but its not that big and usually fades within 3 days. The teflon 30 degreeTenderlinks, Silhouettes, Inset 30s, Comforts will leave a bigger hole when removed 3 days later but for many, this is just a small price to pay for what might be better control. The holes can be dabbed with T tree oil to enable good healing (stinks a bit lol) or some savlon. Regularly massaging some vitamin E oil or Bio Oil can also help Removing the teflon 90 degree sets dont need any spray as the cannula is flexible so pulling back the adhesive is easy. The 30 degree sets, I usually spray them as the adhesive is a bit stronger and carefully hold my finger tip over the hole as the cannula is pulled out to stop any flow of blood as the cannula is not quite the same as the 90 degree cannulas.

Unfortunately, in many hospitals, funding is set up with a CCG for just one account and that is with the company that supplies the pump. Getting another pump company to supply different sets is not always posssib anymore so some might need to buy privately or get another pumper to do a bit of discrete set swopping so that everyone is ok. Im not sure if INPUT could intervene on this matter.

LizzieNI

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oh, I know your rep... And know that NI you are not getting updated accucheck pumps either.. Friend was expecting a newInsight and just got a replacement combo.

Friend uses rapid d's. She has to order supplies through the hospital?? Is that the same for you?
I order them through an admin lady at my local regional health centre. I ran out (as they'd told me to always change tubing as I was new) and wasn't able to get any more as it was weekend and no stock of them - A&E, diabetes ward in hospital, nada. I also couldn't order more unless I was due them as you're limited to what you exactly need. Pump clinic carry spares for emergencies but only during working hours. Complete nightmare!
Renewals are limited to stock they bought a few years ago that was in storage as no one had budgeted for consumables or nurse training. Same minister who refused to allow gay men to donate blood so real bad.
Hopefully by time I renew that stock will be gone and I'll have more options. I only got mine cos local BBC news did a piece on it after loads of complaints about waiting list whilst pumps sat in cupboard, so they managed to find some money for consumables. Hence also why it's so strict.

LizzieNI

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

What do you know of the rep? He huffs when asked questions that don't relate to his sales patter - it's like Little Britain "computer says no"

LizzieNI

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As steel needle sets go, the Rapid Ds from Accuchek which have the luer tubes for the Combo pump and will also fit the Animas Vibe (with a bit of cutting away a tiny bit of the flexible wings either side of the luer connection with a pair of scissors), are easy to insert in the backside and most other places as long as the tail piece of the swivel connector about 8ins along the tube, can be undone ok. The only place where this is difficult is on the arm, as trying to undo the swivel connector one handed is impossible unless help comes from another person.
The steel needle sets from Animas dont have a swivel connector along the tube, instead its just a tube clip connector which can be stuck on the skin or stuck on a piece of plastic bag (cut around the adhesive with a pair of scisssors) to enable the tube clip to be undone without sticking it to the skin. Taking out the steel needle after 2 days usually needs a good spray with adhesive remover as the adhesive keeps the needle firmly stuck to the skin or do what DD does and have a soak in a hot soapy bath to enable set removal to be ok.

Re.....the teflon 90 degree cannulas on the Flexlinks, Insets, Mio, Quicksets......these will leave a tiny hole when the cannula is removed but its not that big and usually fades within 3 days. The teflon 30 degreeTenderlinks, Silhouettes, Inset 30s, Comforts will leave a bigger hole when removed 3 days later but for many, this is just a small price to pay for what might be better control. The holes can be dabbed with T tree oil to enable good healing (stinks a bit lol) or some savlon. Regularly massaging some vitamin E oil or Bio Oil can also help Removing the teflon 90 degree sets dont need any spray as the cannula is flexible so pulling back the adhesive is easy. The 30 degree sets, I usually spray them as the adhesive is a bit stronger and carefully hold my finger tip over the hole as the cannula is pulled out to stop any flow of blood as the cannula is not quite the same as the 90 degree cannulas.

Unfortunately, in many hospitals, funding is set up with a CCG for just one account and that is with the company that supplies the pump. Getting another pump company to supply different sets is not always posssib anymore so some might need to buy privately or get another pumper to do a bit of discrete set swopping so that everyone is ok. Im not sure if INPUT could intervene on this matter.

Gosh. So do you think it's worth trying to change to steel needles? I'm still not exactly clear on the advantage of one versus the other...

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Well worth changing...

iHs

The Rapid D is easy to insert......just join the set tube to the csrtridge tube via the swivel connectors, prime insulin through the two tubes, pull off needle protector and adhesive cover and insert the set. You might be better off with the steel needle sets before trying the 30 degree Tenderlink.