Newly Diagnosed type 1.5 changed diet to LCHF

Fido78

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I am 36 years old newly diagnosed type 1.5 in december 2014 . My HBA1c was 15.5%. I decided to change my diet to LCHF. I am currently on Novomix30 6 units a day injected in the morning. As you can see in the diagram I am dooing quit well already. Created this tread for us lada´s that are on LCHF and also for motivating my self and hopefully others. Looking forward to hearing from others Lada´s.....
upload_2015-2-15_22-18-48.png

Reactions: 10 people

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
Hi fido
Graph and BG levels looking good. You look to have your BG levels well under control.
I too am LADA, diagnosed T2 18 months ago, then LADA just over a year ago, currently not on insulin or meds and following Dr Bernstein's diabetic solution book (36g per day low carb). You might find his book of interest, available on kindle and iBooks for around £5 or first few pages for free.
Lots more info on this forum, just troll through the pages.

Fido78

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Ian! Yes have ordered Bernsteins book, looking forward reading it. Have you managed a full year without insulin? That´s very good. I myself am producing some insulin according to my c-peptide test, but it´s well under normal range. But I think LCHF is the way forward for better control. I also watched a youtube video of troy stapleton he also endorses LCHF. Not sure I am gooing to tell my managing team they do not endose this :)

Reactions: 2 people

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey Fido,

Welcome welcome (as Effi might say). Your figures look great - well done!

I'm another LADA of eight months on LCHF. I'm taking basal/bolus, Insulatard and Novorapid. LCHF is brilliant in keeping your insulin demand and BG down. I follow Bernstein too. His regime is totally livable, once you find foods you like.

Power to you - hope you're feeling pretty in control. You should!

Lucy

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
Hi Ian! Yes have ordered Bernsteins book, looking forward reading it. Have you managed a full year without insulin? That´s very good. I myself am producing some insulin according to my c-peptide test, but it´s well under normal range. But I think LCHF is the way forward for better Not sure I am gooing to tell my managing team they do not endose this :)
D

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
Hi Ian! Yes have ordered Bernsteins book, looking forward reading it. Have you managed a full year without insulin? That´s very good. I myself am producing some insulin according to my c-peptide test, but it´s well under normal range. But I think LCHF is the way forward for better control. I also watched a youtube video of troy stapleton he also endorses LCHF. Not sure I am gooing to tell my managing team they do not endose this :)
Yes, over a year now without insulin, an all down to eating to my meter and thus low carbing. Nearly everyone on this forum has found LCHF the way forward. After being told that I was doing a great job at keeping my BG levels under control, I advised them that I was LCHF. They can see it is working, so now support me with it. If you are worried about eating lots of fat (like I was) have a read of the Big Fat Surprise.

Fido78

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
HI Lucy, yes I don´t think there is any turning back! I had all these classical symptoms, extreme thirst, peeing multiple times at night, bad eyesight, cramping calves e.t.c..I don´t ever won´t to go back there! So I am gooing to try my hardest to have near normal readings! So avoiding to many carbs isn´t to hard for me, and I´m actually enjoying my new way to eat !

Fido78

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Ian, yeah actually looking forward for my next bloodtests which I will take in about may to se if I have improved my cholesterol. Seems some people actually improve their cholesterol substansiully on LCHF, I hope it also does in my case

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
Ian, yeah actually looking forward for my next bloodtests which I will take in about may to se if I have improved my cholesterol. Seems some people actually improve their cholesterol substansiully on LCHF, I hope it also does in my case
My Dr says my cholesterol has improved since being on LcHf with my HDL (good cholesterol) increasing.... It wasn't bad before... Just better now.

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, I was so pleased with my gold star last week for lipids. Be aware tho that LCHF tends to raise total and LDL cholesterol, although the LDL content cannot be small and dense (bad) if triglycerides are below 1.0. HDL will rise and trigs fall.

Sorry that's not very clear. Tired. See the below:

Ken Sikaris:

Reactions: 4 people

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
Hi Lucy
I have read the free preview on kindle, it seems very much like the 'Big Fat Surprise' which I have read and found fascinating. Have you read both? Are they similar ?

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, actually in the last couple of days I've read both. Ow - I'm self employed and I'd better get back to work!

The Phinney and Volek is the really clear, scientific exposition of the whole metabolism that I was looking for. I also really liked the Nina Teicholz for telling the whole story of the institutional processes and the politics, and not ranting. I learned things from her that I had never seen before. So they do different jobs.

Both are so good. Not ranting, first class research (well it's P & V's filed), trustworthy.

awaysworkin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I am 36 years old newly diagnosed type 1.5 in december 2014 . My HBA1c was 15.5%. I decided to change my diet to LCHF. I am currently on Novomix30 6 units a day injected in the morning. As you can see in the diagram I am dooing quit well already. Created this tread for us lada´s that are on LCHF and also for motivating my self and hopefully others. Looking forward to hearing from others Lada´s.....
View attachment 11821

I've a few years on you, but also diagnosed T1.5 late last year. with identical HBA1c. Am still on my standard diet although have cut down on all sugary foods, and stopped sugar in drinks & on cereal.

Currently taking 11 units of Novorapid spread over 4 injections throughout the day, and 9 units of Levemir in total (first thing in morning and last thing at night).

Am interested to follow everyones progress on the LCHF diet, and once I've finished my DAFNE course I would be very interested. I want to get this info based on my current diet so all bases are covered, as my work and travel does not always mean a LCHF diet is possible, and I want to know different ways to handle whatever life throws at me.
A lot of info I have read regarding LCHF diets tend to be aimed at T2 folk rather than T1 / 1.5 ... is there any reason for this?

Fido78

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I just personally think it makes more sense to low carb when you have diabetes 1 as you are either low or missing the insulin making betacells. If you not already have read Dr Bernstein Diabetes Solution, you definitely should.as he explains the law of small numbers. Limit the carbs and you inject much less insulin and the risk for hypos get´s virtually eliminated and also as a bonus you get much better and stable readings. Also dr bernstein points out this is the only way to get good control of your diabetes.

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
I am also a T1.5 / LADA, but not on insulin yet. Since diagnosis 18 months ago my BG levels have got better and better as I have low carbed and then very low carbed. The only reason why my BG levels have improved is because of my low carbing diet. If I was not low carbing I would without any doubt at all be on insulin. I have been following Dr bernsteins solution for 9 months now, without any doubt at all his solution has lowered my BG levels. Low carb is possible when traveling, eg. just swap chips for salad with a steak. Every restaurant I have ever been to has been wiling to swap chips for salad.

Fido78

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
back from my visit from my doctor today and he told me that my c-peptide had increased from 0,14 nmol/l to 0,21. Normal range in our lab is 0.21 to 1.15. So i was actually in normal range although just. Next c-peptide will be measured sometime later this year just to follow how things are progressing. My doctor is a big fan of insulin pumps and is expecting me to be on one in near future. But I tend to fight for my remaining betacells and hopefully keep them for many years. Now I am approachin 6 months from diagnoses and back then my doctor told me you will be on a pump within 8 months. Fortunately for me he seems to have it got wrong as my c-peptide has increased insted of declining, so for now I am very happy!

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
Your c-peptide results are interesting. This seems to indicate that your beta cells are re-generating, which is what Dr Bernstein says can occur when you have normal BG levels.... Which you have had over the last few months. My Consultant told me the c-peptide test was a waste of time as it proves nothing. Yours proves that normal BG levels can make a difference.
I think the doctors assume most patients do as they are told and still eat the recommended carbs and have normal diabetic BG levels.... You would think by now there are enough of us low carbers with normal (as in 4.6 to 5.6 levels) proving them wrong.
Keep up the good work.

Reactions: 6 people

Fido78

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I´m fortunate in a way, that my doctor is the opposite of yours in measuring c-peptide. He want´s to follow me how long I will last as a LADA. But even though, he thinks we should just live our lives as "normal" people and follow just as you say normal diabetic meals (high carb) and always have bloodsugar HBA1C in the range 6.5% or there abouts! And he always talks about insulin pumps. But I guess time will tell, I certaintly hope my honeymoon will last for years, I got nothing to loose trying.

awaysworkin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I just personally think it makes more sense to low carb when you have diabetes 1 as you are either low or missing the insulin making betacells. If you not already have read Dr Bernstein Diabetes Solution, you definitely should.as he explains the law of small numbers. Limit the carbs and you inject much less insulin and the risk for hypos get´s virtually eliminated and also as a bonus you get much better and stable readings. Also dr bernstein points out this is the only way to get good control of your diabetes.

Well, I've just completed my first week of LCHF - what a difference! Very pleased with much more stable BG's, although the diet is more expensive - can we really put a price on our health to such a degree? I will simply cut back elsewhere to accommodate if I can continue to have a better quality of life. I know it's early days, but everything you said above is true.
Also, Dr Bernstein's book Diabetes Solutions has dropped through the letterbox this morning, so I'll have a quiet day in tomorrow reading that.