Diabetic Chocolate / Sponge Cake with Almond Flour

vicki.milne

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

My 10 year old son was diagnosed Type 1 just over a week ago and he feels like he's missing out on loads already so I'd like to bake him a cake.
I've been searching on-line and it's taking an age to search through all of the stuff out there.
Does anyone know of any chocolate sponge / Victoria sponge cake recipes which I can cook for him?
Ideally I'd prefer one with almond flour (as I believe it's fairly low carb) and also sweeteners as opposed to sugar (Splenda? - never cooked with sweeteners before but assume it works) AND a recipe which provides nutritional info (as I'm just attempting to get to grips with carb-counting).

Hope I'm not asking for too much!
Many thanks in advance,
Vicki

Reactions: 2 people

Croc

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sea filth!
Have you seen how much almond flour costs?

I nearly bought some once but at a fiver for a tiny little bag I just couldn't bring myself to pay it.

I'll be interested to see any recipes that anyone can come up with.

Croc

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sea filth!
Ground almonds isn't the same. I tried to cheat and use that instead of almond flour for low carb pancakes. It turned into a slushy foul tasting mess.

Last edited by a moderator:

vicki.milne

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Ah okay, thanks for the heads-up. I'm a rubbish baker anyway.....maybe a cake isn't such a good idea, my son would probably prefer going without than one of my creations!

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Hi all,

My 10 year old son was diagnosed Type 1 just over a week ago and he feels like he's missing out on loads already so I'd like to bake him a cake.
I've been searching on-line and it's taking an age to search through all of the stuff out there.
Does anyone know of any chocolate sponge / Victoria sponge cake recipes which I can cook for him?
Ideally I'd prefer one with almond flour (as I believe it's fairly low carb) and also sweeteners as opposed to sugar (Splenda? - never cooked with sweeteners before but assume it works) AND a recipe which provides nutritional info (as I'm just attempting to get to grips with carb-counting).

Many thanks in advance,
Vicki

This is a lovely cake recipe. Stracciatella cake - kind of like a madeira cake with chocolate chips (85% cocoa) through it.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/low-carb-recipes.4871/page-9#post-229642

Ground almonds and almond flour are the same thing in my kitchen. I get ground almonds from Tesco at £2.29 per 200g, but you could probably find them cheaper. I don't know the nutritional content. Sorry about your son's diagnosis.

Reactions: 4 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ground almonds isn't the same. I tried to cheat and use that instead of almond flour for low carb pancakes. It turned into a slushy foul tasting mess.
I use ground almonds all the time for baking for both sweet and savoury stuff - I've never had any problem with it. Like @Avocado Sevenfold I treat it just like almond flour. I also grind up hazelnuts to make chocolate cupcake/muffins and I prefer the hazelnuts to almonds for these. It's coconut flour that completely defeats me...

@vikimilne Have a Google for the one minute muffins/muffins in a mug type recipes - they're fairly idiot proof in that you more or less just bung everything in and give a stir then a whizz in the microwave. Our low carb recipes section of the forum also has some nice recipes too.

And a warning about diabetic chocolate - just be careful as a lot of diabetic type sweets contain sugar alcohols as sweeteners and these can in quantity often give you bad wind and/or the runs. :eek:

Robbity

Teeny75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ill informed people!
If you are on Pinterest lookup Typeonegrit - if you are intending to stick to low carb (we follow Dr Bernstein) this will be right up your street!

PerfectStorm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ground almonds are only £1.30 in Aldi.

I found a lovely looking low carb chocolate brownie recipe the the other day. I'll see if I can find it

Reactions: 5 people

Teeny75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ill informed people!
As for sweeteners, Splenda spikes my daughter but Xylitol and Erythritol are good, generally we use half the amount suggested in the recipe.

Teeny75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ill informed people!
Ground almonds are only £1.30 in Aldi.

I found a lovely looking low carb chocolate brownie recipe the the other day. I'll see if I can find it

Aldi also do 87% dark chocolate 5 25g bars for £1.29

vicki.milne

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Fab info and help, thank you so much everyone! It's getting slightly easier to know what to buy and where to buy it from!

ronialive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ignorant people
Hi all,

Many thanks in advance,
Vicki
There is no reason for him to miss out on anything. If you calculate the carbs in the cake you can work out how much to increase the insulin by to cover it. makes a child very good at maths as we used to tell our parents to give a 32th of the cake etc. It is a question of balance and having those foods at the right time.

vicki.milne

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
There is no reason for him to miss out on anything. If you calculate the carbs in the cake you can work out how much to increase the insulin by to cover it. makes a child very good at maths as we used to tell our parents to give a 32th of the cake etc. It is a question of balance and having those foods at the right time.

Thanks, but it's very early days for us so we are still on set insulin doses.
Didn't want to spike the BG levels whilst they're still being monitored at this stage but wanted him to be able to have a little treat.
Hoping we can start the carb counting very soon for this reason.