Protein world!

Spencer67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs and Blue Meanies
I use whey 80 SF+ from the protein works. 80% protein Whey concentrate which is the most bio available form of whey protein. Bonus is it has no soya lecithin in it so less inflammatory than whey with it in. It's good stuff and a great company in my opinion.

If you're interested PM me for a code that'll give you some free protein on your first order over £10.00.

Hope you find what you're looking for.
I was wondering about where i could get some good 'whey' i don't understand why it is so expensive if its just a by product of cheese. is the protein works the best and cheapest about? My last batch was by sci-max from Tesco was about £30 for 1050g.

Tesco have a new line in called PHD...
http://www.tesco.com/direct/phd-nutrition-diet-whey-belgian-chocolate-1kg/212-2450.prd

seems reasonably priced for a 1Kg not sure of the quality anybody know of it?

Last edited by a moderator:

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I use Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey. The Cookies and Cream and Caramel Fudge flavours are very good. The key thing to look for in Whey Protein is what is used.

The highest quality (and therefore most expensive) uses Hydrolyzed Whey Protein Isloate.

That PHD is not strictly whey protein. It is more a "complete" Protein mix, and is composed of 27% Whey protein concentrate, Milk Protein Concentrate and Soy Isolate. I'd avoid anything with Soy in as it's not particularly good for you as already mentioned.

Whey protein concentrate is not as good a form of whey as Whey Protein Isolate.

If you aren't sure, take a look at the ingredients list on a pack.. The information contained here is the key to knowing whether a protein powder is really amazing or just simply passable. First you might notice that most whey protein products contain more than one type of whey. You might see whey protein isolate, whey protein hydrolysate (or hydrolyzed whey protein) or whey protein concentrate. To be considered a great whey protein the product MUST list whey protein isolate or hydrolyzed whey protein isolate as the very first ingredient. That’s because whey protein isolates are the purest form of protein you can get, with some being more than 90% protein. And “hydrolyzed whey protein isolate” means that that high-quality whey has been pre-digested into smaller protein fragments for even faster digestion than regular whey isolate. Whey protein concentrate, on the other hand, goes through less filtering, which means fewer of the natural carbohydrates found in milk are removed. The result is a whey product that is much lower in protein content. Although most whey protein concentrates are somewhere between 70-80% protein, some can be less than 35% protein. This is why most companies make a big deal about their whey protein isolate powders. (This is also why isolates and hydrolysates generally cost more.)*

*Taken from Muscle and Fitness: http://www.muscleandfitness.com/supplements/build-muscle/best-and-worst-whey-protein-powders?page=2

Reactions: 2 people

Spencer67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs and Blue Meanies
I use Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey. The Cookies and Cream and Caramel Fudge flavours are very good. The key thing to look for in Whey Protein is what is used.

The highest quality (and therefore most expensive) uses Hydrolyzed Whey Protein Isloate.

That PHD is not strictly whey protein. It is more a "complete" Protein mix, and is composed of 27% Whey protein concentrate, Milk Protein Concentrate and Soy Isolate. I'd avoid anything with Soy in as it's not particularly good for you as already mentioned.

Whey protein concentrate is not as good a form of whey as Whey Protein Isolate.

If you aren't sure, take a look at the ingredients list on a pack.. The information contained here is the key to knowing whether a protein powder is really amazing or just simply passable. First you might notice that most whey protein products contain more than one type of whey. You might see whey protein isolate, whey protein hydrolysate (or hydrolyzed whey protein) or whey protein concentrate. To be considered a great whey protein the product MUST list whey protein isolate or hydrolyzed whey protein isolate as the very first ingredient. That’s because whey protein isolates are the purest form of protein you can get, with some being more than 90% protein. And “hydrolyzed whey protein isolate” means that that high-quality whey has been pre-digested into smaller protein fragments for even faster digestion than regular whey isolate. Whey protein concentrate, on the other hand, goes through less filtering, which means fewer of the natural carbohydrates found in milk are removed. The result is a whey product that is much lower in protein content. Although most whey protein concentrates are somewhere between 70-80% protein, some can be less than 35% protein. This is why most companies make a big deal about their whey protein isolate powders. (This is also why isolates and hydrolysates generally cost more.)*

*Taken from Muscle and Fitness: http://www.muscleandfitness.com/supplements/build-muscle/best-and-worst-whey-protein-powders?page=2

I got some "isolate" whey from holland & barret today after your advice, i was hooked in by the offers as i was passing. £15 for quite a bit of whey after i haggled with some offers from their magazine and coupons. Any way my question to you is what is optimum time for taking the whey, before work out or after? i just had some now as i was muscle sore after a workout yesterday figured no pain no gain and the whey would help repair, any input would be helpful.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
The main reason for taking whey protein as a non-diabetic is to induce an insulin response. The whey protein causes an insulin release to facilitate the movement of amino acids into the muscles. Alongside this, carbs would normally be consumed to replenish glycogen stores otherwise the body releases glucagon to get glycogen out of the liver and into the bloodstream to counter the insulin.

As a T1 diabetic, if you take the whey protein, you'll see your blood glucose levels rise post workout due to this hormone release, however, as you can't produce insulin, only the glucagon has an effect. Taking carbs and insulin with the whey protein is the most effective method to make it work and manage your blood glucose levels.

CDM9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just searched for this thread, I'm doing the insanity workout to lose weight and tone up, and it mentions having protein shakes after, is whey isolate one you would recommend for t1 and as you say take with carbs and insulin post workout?

Thanks

Spencer67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs and Blue Meanies
Just searched for this thread, I'm doing the insanity workout to lose weight and tone up, and it mentions having protein shakes after, is whey isolate one you would recommend for t1 and as you say take with carbs and insulin post workout?

Thanks
Yes, whey is a great way of getting more protein into your diet, I'm just under 13st and my recommended protein intake is approx 200g+ per day so the bars and whey shakes are an important supp if i want to build muscle, i also eat more eggs, chicken and Greek yoghurt, but remember protein is converted to carbs too and does raise bg levels i would be careful with carbs post work out but you have to find what suits you, but if your body needs some carb as your bg is lowering have a banana (approx 23g c) in your shake but be careful not to over compensate. carb counting is the key to keeping your bg in range and working out well. Protein bars are not bad post workout too but find one which is lower carb some have too much carb in. I'd go for a whey isolate that is lc. If you ask @nomistheman nicely he will give you a code for some well priced whey online.

Last edited by a moderator:

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Myprotein.com My Bar Zero are very low carb protein bars that I buy. Cookies and cream flavour are 2.6g carbs per bar.

One thing I would caution you on @CDM9. Insanity is unlikely to build muscle. It will help you burn fat though. If you want to build muscle you need to do a form of exercise that pushes your muscles to grow, which is typically weights related.

CDM9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks everyone. I have pm you @noistheman :)

I need to burn fat and lose two stone before I tone up but it mentions in the nutrition book having protein powder as one of my 5 meals a day!! I'm a girl by the way :)

Spencer67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs and Blue Meanies
Thanks everyone. I have pm you @noistheman :)

I need to burn fat and lose two stone before I tone up but it mentions in the nutrition book having protein powder as one of my 5 meals a day!! I'm a girl by the way :)
Didn't realize you were a lady :sorry:. will change your approach a little. It may be helpful for you to watch this video about low carbing for weight loss with exercise before you pursue your insanity exercise routine and adapt the advice as you need. :D