Metformin side effect tinitus

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
gilesrowe said:
I've just started taking Metformin and almost immediately, within a day or so, started getting Tinnitus. Loud whistle in head/both ears. Very disturbing, keeps me awake at night as it is so loud.

This is an old thread from March 2009 and since then we have a new thread Metformin Questions and Answers in the Diabetes Medication and Drugs section.

As stated in previous posts this is not a known side effect of Metformin although there is some anecdotal 'evidence' but there are many causes of Tinnitus which are explained here.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Tinnitus/Pages/Causes.aspx

If a problem then discuss with your GP.

Dislikes
Modern so called singers like Cheryl Cole and rubbish boy bands
Really show my age!
Looks like I have joined another club!
My tinitus is definately worse...just one long hiss,
I mask it at night by playing my ipod low...under my pillow. If I wake it is to sound of low music so I dont latch on to the tinitus and go back to sleep.

On diet..no way can I get hooked on carb counting. Just trying for a sensible diet with no added sugar

Jackie123

I developed tinitus after taking metformin for one week. Started 9 months ago. The pressure in my ears and also pain went when I discontinued the drug but the hiss in one ear and rumbling sound in the other has stayed and it is driving me potty. Also causing sleep disturbance and I am very, very tired.

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Noisy dogs and loud music especially low-note drumming
Apart from the usual causes, i.e., a loud explosion, etc., Tinitus can be caused by fast infusion of a number of drugs.

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
So that is where it came from!! My tinnitus changes tune tho', anything from an air conditioning unit to a high pitched whistle to running water- hundreds of gallons. I am in process of moving to Humalog 25 on top of metformin. Will I be able to dum the metformin any time soon.?

ShellyC23

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a sort of wooshing noise in one ear which I only notice at night but I think it's the blood pumping through my head

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

BevW3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Tinnitus started after tablet Mitform No 8 then nausea and vomiting. I was handed the prescription and did as I was told. Stopped tablet (after 8 days} and blood sugars went back to 6.2 to 7.7 within twenty four hours. I stopped feeling nasueated and did not experience any more vomiting. Found several other people on Google were taking Metiformin had tinnitus. Felt like an insect in my ear. No side effect information is cited in my Mimms about Metiformin. Nothing on line shows Tinniuts as a side effect. But lots of real people say they had Tinnitus on this forum. I was managing on the world famous Low Glucose Index diet for years. Low Gi Australian Authors diabetes well controlled. I was diagnosed with Gluten Intolerance newly named for my indigestion condition four years ago. Till then I was treated as Iriitable Bowel Syndrome (the disease they have when they do not know what it is) for forty years. I had Pills and on one occasion saw a psychiatrist. . I was on Nexium for years and other similar tablets since the time I had hyperemesis in all pregnancies Fancy tests for gall bladder and coeliac disease nothing there. So found no reason. Until I dropped gluten four years ago, when immediate improvement meant no more medication. Recent blood tests ABa1 C sginaled the need for prescriptons (no discussion). I monitor my vital signs every day we live a long way from doctors. Spoke with 'nurse on line' her advice change doctors and prescription. I am a retired Seniof Universtiy Lectuerer in Health Sciences and Bioethics A midwife and Nurse cince 1962. Supervised Midwifery and Nursing Graduates and undergraduate following a 45 year clinical carreer. Mother of four grnamdother of seven. University Educator for the last 10 years of my professional life in Victoria Australia.

Last edited by a moderator:

BevW3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Tinnitus started after tablet Mitform No 8 then nausea and vomiting. I was handed the prescription and did as I was told. Stopped tablet (after 8 days} and blood sugars went back to 6.2 to 7.7 within twenty four hours. I stopped feeling nasueated and did not experience any more vomiting. Found several other people on Google were taking Metiformin had tinnitus. Felt like an insect in my ear. No side effect information is cited in my Mimms about Metiformin. Nothing on line shows Tinniuts as a side effect. But lots of real people say they had Tinnitus on this forum. I was managing on the world famous Low Glucose Index diet for years. Low Gi Australian Authors diabetes well controlled. I was diagnosed with Gluten Intolerance newly named for my indigestion condition four years ago. Till then I was treated as Iriitable Bowel Syndrome (the disease they have when they do not know what it is) for forty years. I had Pills and on one occasion saw a psychiatrist. . I was on Nexium for years and other similar tablets since the time I had hyperemesis in all pregnancies Fancy tests for gall bladder and coeliac disease nothing there. So found no reason. Until I dropped gluten four years ago, when immediate improvement meant no more medication. Recent blood tests ABa1 C sginaled the need for prescriptons (no discussion). I monitor my vital signs every day we live a long way from doctors. Spoke with 'nurse on line' her advice change doctors and prescription. I am a retired Seniof Universtiy Lectuerer in Health Sciences and Bioethics A midwife and Nurse cince 1962. Supervised Midwifery and Nursing Graduates and undergraduate following a 45 year clinical carreer. Mother of four grandother of seven. University Educator for the last 10 years of my professional life in Victoria Australia.

elekonsult

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have my tinnitus a month after my doctor increased my dosage of metformin...from my research it seem that it is just a no worry side effect of t2 medications.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Metformin can cause B12 deficiency B12 deficiency has link to Tinnitus as B12 deficiency can cause neurological problems and nerve damage among other things.

Symptoms of B12 deficiency:

B12 deficiencies often go overlooked as they can cause symptoms that can be mistaken for other conditions. Here are some common signs of a B12 deficiency:

Chronic irritability, nervousness, anxiety
Ringing, other noises in the ears (tinnitus)
High homocysteine levels can damage the heart and nerve cells. Tinnitus is caused by damage to ear nerve cells.
Memory problems – Alzheimer dementia is also thought linked to B12 deficiency
Decreased reflexes
Impaired touch or pain sensation, numbness in fingertips or lips
Anemia

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
In deaf people tinnitus can be caused by a feed back loop in the brain. The brain expects sound to be relayed and when no sound is detected then the brain can create that sound itself. There is no cure in this case but low dose Amitriptyline does ease the symptoms for some people.

I recently discovered that the trace amounts of caffeine in decaff coffee is enough to exacerbate my tinnitus of which I have suffered since early childhood. Keeping a food diary for my Diabetes has clearly shown me that fewer cups of Bulletproof or creamed coffee can ease the racket going on in both ears.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I have had Tinnitus both ears for over 30 years mine was caused by direct damage to the auditory nerves while serving in the RAF. (Stand too close to a jet engine at full bore for a while and you will see what I mean)

As has been said tinnitus has many causes but the only link with Metformin I could find as in my earlier post is vitamin B12 deficiency.

rosco 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have had tinnitus all my life. Bilaterally and almost certainly a result of otitis media as a small infant. My hearing has been deteriorating for some months and although i can not prove it. I think my hearing has improved since I was diagnosed 4/12.and started making changes to my diet and exercise. In the past, only docs filled in yellow sheets, now anyone can do this. I urge you to report if you think there is a connection.