That thing called Exercise

mattzuma

Generally speaking I think exercise has become a dirty word.
Can not find any conversation in these threads where someone says "it's my fault I eat to much sugar".
So many comments of "it's not fair".
It's all pretty demoralising I know. But it's real life folks. Survival of the fittest. If an animal sits and does nothing it will die. I used to chat to a guy in a pub. One day he told me he'd jus been diagnosed with diabetes. He refused the Metformin and the insulin. "They are not effing well telling me what to do!" About two years later they cut his legs off!
If he'd only realised it was HIS diabetes, not theirs.

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's odd, I notice exercise being mentioned quite often, but possibly the reason you don't see " It's my fault, I eat too much sugar " at all is because that is not the root cause of diabetes ?

Signy

Reactions: 17 people

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Shame that someone who joined in 2010 is still shown as "New Member" instead of "Occasional Poster".

Reactions: 4 people

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Reactions: 2 people

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Automated system sets the named terms .
:)
Yes, I understand that.

I think what you are saying is that the automated system counts the number of posts, and doesn't consider the length of time the poster has been a member.

@Giverny I was suggesting that the automated system might be tweaked slightly to reserve the title of "New Member" for low posting members who had joined, for instance, less than six months ago and another title be assigned to long term members with a low post count. "Quiet member?" :D

My main point being that the description "New Member" can be misleading when the poster has been registered for 5 years or more.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
We do hear and see more of activity and exercise nowadays
than we did years ago .
Activity and exercise can lower our BG levels and is better for our
cardiovascular system .

Can promote and some weight loss when less correct foods for us
eaten and portion control is targeted .

I always notice a 'difference' with my BG levels and well being sense
the more active I am .
Hubby is the same too - we both feel much better and can do more for longer
kind of thing .

For me and hubby its all about keeping things better balanced .
Our food (portions too) , activity, my Diabetes , routine/regime, exercise , hobbies , doggy walks ,
family appreciation .
Quite a lot going on to address a better balance with .

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@mattzuma been reading some of your past posts, could you pleas clarify whether you are T1 or T 2 as in some posts you are T1 and in others you are T2

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
:)
Yes, I understand that.

I think what you are saying is that the automated system counts the number of posts, and doesn't consider the length of time the poster has been a member.

@Giverny I was suggesting that the automated system might be tweaked slightly to reserve the title of "New Member" for low posting members who had joined, for instance, less than six months ago and another title be assigned to long term members with a low post count. "Quiet member?" :D

My main point being that the description "New Member" can be misleading when the poster has been registered for 5 years or more.
You can PM this request into @Giverny for her attention with your suggestions @LittleGreyCat

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

frankman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think exercise is simply overrated! ;) Not because I don't like it - I simply can't do it on a daily basis. My bad back dictates when I feel like going for a walk.

Frank.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I eat then I walk my dogs and have found It helps to take my levels down....:) I am now fit and slim but still have the diabetes , I did not eat a lot of sugar ;)but loved bread and other carbs all of which are bad for us diabetics...so I would say by my experience Exercise is a must ...even when I don't feel like doing it, I force myself :rolleyes:

Reactions: 6 people

Phlogiston

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, ofsted inspectors, uninvited phonecalls
Actually, Matt, I've seen a fair few posts where people admit their diet was not as good as it should have been, including some I wrote myself.
Exercise is not a dirty word. I have seen a fair few posts where people encourage each other by showing the role of exercise in their new regimen. I have found exercise beneficial myself and am fortunate that I am still active and able to enjoy getting out.
I am guessing that some posters find exercise more difficult - I try to be sympathetic.

best wishes
Adam

frankman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Forgive my joke above! I don't dislike exercise, I just cannot motivate myself to do more walking. When the heatwave returns, I may even go back to my bike, as I recently had it serviced. I could actually go for a walk now - but it's raining 'guv! :D

IzzieS

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Loud noises; disrespectful people; fireworks
Hi! I belong to Curves, a gym for women. It only takes 30 mins and I've made a few new friends. I try to go at least twice a week, but should try harder to do 3. It does get a bit boring sometimes, but if one of my friends is there we chat going round the circuit. It's definitely made me fitter.

frankman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello IzzieS, good to hear that you're enjoying the gym.

I tried the local gym a few years ago, but gave up, because I was being messed about. When I went there I said I was diabetic, so I was given a plan to follow, which I did. Then the instructor who gave me my plan left the gym for a different job. So a different instructor approached me 1 day, and ignoring that I said I was diabetic, promptly told me that if I want to lose weight, I need to use all the equipment that was advised for me, to use them in quick succession, with no breaks - which I thought was odd. So like an idiot, I did as I was told, and it near **** wore me out. Good job my wife was with me, in order to drive us home. I quickly quit my membership!

Now all I simply want to do, is walk whenever I can, and when I'm able to.

Frank.

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It's easy to say ''why me'' when we get the diagnosis. In my case genetics/hereditary plays a part but maybe if I hadn't eaten quite so much bread/sugar/pasta etc....it might have made a difference. I didn't over eat but I didn't burn it off either. Most days I did just what ''had to be done'' and put most things off for another day that never really came. I spent too many hours sat at the computer on Facebook or Ebay ...then tv all evening...snacking way into the wee small hours and not thinking of the consequences of what I was doing. Exercise was boring so the treadmill became a place to hang towels on to dry and the exercise bike pretty much the same. I half realised how slack I had become with everything when I answer the questions at my blood test which led to me finding out I was diabetic. She asked...'when you walk do you walk slow brisk or fast.....answer....well i don't really walk very far ...''how much time do you spend doing housework.''.....answer....as little as possible.......''how much exercise do you do''....answer....non really......so I guess a huge proportion of ''blame'' if there is any to give is down to ME. So now I had the dilema...what to do now? Simple...I ditched all the bad food....am eating the good stuff and I actually USE my exercise bike and treadmill now. It isn't easy to say no to the yummy treats but my health and life mean more than a tub of Ben and Jerrys. A huge plus from the changes is I have already shed 10 pounds very easily which I had found impossible to do before the changes. Not sure if the exercise is helping my blood glucose levels but it makes me feel like I am ''doing something'' to try at least and my energy levels and general feeling of good health make it worth the sacrifces. Before I changed my eating habits and ditched the carbs I felt fat, lazy and lethargic....now I wake up full of energy and raring to go and that feeling lasts all day long :D

karencymru

Hi! I belong to Curves, a gym for women. It only takes 30 mins and I've made a few new friends. I try to go at least twice a week, but should try harder to do 3. It does get a bit boring sometimes, but if one of my friends is there we chat going round the circuit. It's definitely made me fitter.

Am interested in Curves, but can't get detail from their website. Please may a ask a couple of questions...

. Are you tied in for a certain period of time
. Is there a joining fee
. Can you go to other branches? (Travel with work)

Must do more than walk as weight not shifting despite significant diet changes !