Bounce below with pump

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Has anybody been to bouncebelow in Snowdonia and done the trampoling experience with a pump?

I've been given tjis experience as a gift by someone who doesn't treat me as a pump diabetic and is unaware that I might need to slightly adjust something.. (Take it off because if damaging it??)

I don't want to be a watcher.

Would you advise me to

A) take off

B) still wear on my arm as I usually do? It will be protected even if I have to put a bit of sponge around my pump.. Cannula on my bum and other clothes I have no worries with.

C) be a bystander?

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
take it off, leave it somewhere secure, safe, accessible, if you're there more than an hour-90 mins, go back and have a quick squirt

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
May have to ring them to see if they have lockers or check how far away the carpark may be.
Honest.. I've never taken the pump off for any activity....lol!only baths or showers so I find it quite scarey to remove it!

Incidentally there is a muddy assault course event on over the next bank holiday at a country estate near us...I would love to do this but I don't think I can as I can't go hours without the pump and scrambling in mud on belly etc would not be a bright idea.
No way would I go back to mdi for a day. Just wondering though whether I could detach pump and just do a dosage of bolus pre taking it off to last me 5 hours.but then again I may give too much as I've never done this type of assault course event before. I think I may genuinely have to miss out on that....

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'd take my pump off for trampolining. I did wear it once when I took my children to an adventure park and we all went on one of those smaller trampolines, but I found it an annoyance and it inhibited my performance - er, such as it was! : D

For example, I always take my pump off for ice-skating. I leave it off for maybe an hour and a half and my blood sugar is fine. The activity seems to counteract any rise. I then just keep an eye on my sugars for the next couple of hours or so.

As for the assault course - that sounds such fun! I'm not sure what I'd do, but if there was water and mud, I'd probably take my pump off for my own peace of mind. If it was a competitive course, I definitely would so I didn't have to keep checking it was ok.

I always worry taking my pump off as I feel naked without it now, but I usually leave it in a locker (ice skating), in a bag held by a companion (trampolining) or even in a bag in the boot of my car.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Ice skating I keep it on. On my arm its the least liable place to be hit so for that its ok.

Decision made for phoning and finding out about locker made and going to bounce!!

Still want to do the physical assault course. Its an all day event so am having trouble comvincing myself how to do this..

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ah, well you haven't seen me ice skating ; ) Let's just say I'm no Torvill and Dean!

Hmmm, if it's an all day course, that makes it difficult. I'd check out in advance what form it was going to take. I don't know if you're allowed to see the obstacles beforehand? If there were parts with water that I'd have no option but to go through, that'd be hard, but I think I'd choose a quiet time and wade across carefully with my pump held up well away from the water. If it's belly-crawling through mud, then I'd rethink where I'd put my pump and may try encasing it in plastic bags and some kind of waterproof and mud proof case. Or maybe in a case in the pocket of a waterproof jacket.

I'd tend towards keeping my pump on if it was for that length of time, but I wouldn't go without some idea of what was coming up and if walking round some particularly dodgy obstacles was an option

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Its organised thru muddyrace.co.uk!! I think it speaks for itself. May look at others without quite so much mud. Just something I want to do as my legs at night are gradually losing their feelings and its something I would like to do if the paralysed feelings and not being able to move ends up being day time as well.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That doesn't sound very nice : ( I hope your legs are ok : /

I'm far from very sporty, but I used to swim each week, and my favourite exercise is a walk in the country. Very boring, I know, but I find it mentally relaxing as well as good for keeping in shape, and I do walk quite briskly.

I hope you find something with an appropriate mud level!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Am looking up tonight! Just fancy an assault course and the trampolining.
Have got referred now due to having a very special diabetic consultant. Its not thoughtt to be directly diabetes related and I am currently still working gardening. Just nightimes I am just unable to move from waist downward to knees. It'll get sorted now without a doubt as my diabetic consultant is far superior to the care from my General Practitioners.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I hope it gets sorted soon whatever it is. At least you've got referred. There's nothing worse than suffering with something and having to wait, or even fight, to be referred.

Good luck with the assault course hunt! As I'm pregnant, every day things are quite like an assault course at the moment : D But I'm sure there must be some providers somewhere. Trampolines are easier. For example, my local leisure centre has sessions. They do get booked up early though.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I hope it gets sorted soon whatever it is. At least you've got referred. There's nothing worse than suffering with something and having to wait, or even fight, to be referred.

Good luck with the assault course hunt! As I'm pregnant, every day things are quite like an assault course at the moment : D But I'm sure there must be some providers somewhere. Trampolines are easier. For example, my local leisure centre has sessions. They do get booked up early though.

I can imagine baby doing somersaults!!! I used to dontrampoling as a kid on Weymouth beach and loved it. Thankyou. Never thought of local leisure centres.

Ice skating on my 1st attempt at Bournemouth Ice rink I was asked if I would be able to go for professional coaching but as we lived 35miles away my parents wouldn't do the drive in the Ford Cortina!!! Too far in those days. When I moved to Bournemouth it was fantastic for me but too late to take up coaching and as a profession.

I'm very confident that my consultant will sort. She is wonderful with me and cares enormously for her patients.

Thankyou for all your help and advice. You've made me think of different options and I am so grateful.