A wee question....

MissPooh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
when I initially went to the doctor I had blood taken, one for diabetes, one for thyroid function and one for kidney and liver function, everything was fine except the sugars one so I was recalled for a fasting blood, which at 9ish mmol/l confirmed my type 2 diagnosis.

My question is should I also have had an HbA1c test done too? To my knowledge that's not been done.

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I suspect that your HbA1c was done at the same time as your initial bloods, which prompted a further fasting test.

If you ask your practice , they will be able to tell you the result .

Signy

Reactions: 2 people

MissPooh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've got an appointment on Wednesday so I'll ask then, I was a bit "green" at diagnosis lol

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Reckon Signy's right with that .....

Mike. Good luck !!

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've got an appointment on Wednesday so I'll ask then, I was a bit "green" at diagnosis lol

You can also ask for a print out of your blood test results, you are entitled to do that. It's a useful tool for comparison and reference . Just don't be fobbed off by the rather patronising " You wouldn't understand them" response that some, but not all practices trot out :rolleyes:

Good luck ! :)

Signy

Reactions: 7 people

MissPooh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've signed up for something called My Diabetes, My Way which I'm told gives me direct access to any info my doc has on my diabetes, but I will ask on Wednesday.

Reactions: 4 people

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've signed up for something called My Diabetes, My Way which I'm told gives me direct access to any info my doc has on my diabetes, but I will ask on Wednesday.

So you are in Scotland then ? :D

My Diabetes is an excellent resource, and I have no clue why it hasn't been adopted in England and Wales :rolleyes::mad:

Signy

MissPooh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes Heathenlass I'm in Scotland - I didn't realise it was a Scotland only deal, would deffo make sense to have it UK wide.
I'm just waiting on the completion set up then I'll be able to access it.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am also signed into the My Diabetes My Way .. It is excellent ..shows your results ( about a week after they have been sent off) it also shows your meds you are on .. All with a full explanation of what your looking at .. Numbers and grafts in a really easy to understand format.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Signing up right now! Thanks for mentioning this.
We are very luckie in Scotland to have this, I can view my results before seeing the DBN and have any questions ready.. So not taken by surprise by results anymore
In fact I take a print out with me .. Then it saves waiting half an hour for the DSN to fire up her computer !

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Sometimes the HBa1C test is delayed for 3 months after diagnosis. I think it's a bit daft but there you go. Yes, do ask in case it was done.

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
After breaking my wrist in England, I was told to go to my local hospital when I returned home and they'd be able to see my X-Ray online.

I had to have another X-Ray taken in Glasgow, because Scotland uses a different computer system and couldn't access the one already taken.

I presume the systems would have to be compatible, for the rest of the uk to use My Diabetes, My Way.

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Given the Great IT Fiasco in NHS England, I wouldn't hold my breath :rolleyes:

There is no reason why a similar system couldn't be developed to work with the existing IT system in England though . Oh wait ! It's funding, isn't it ? Silly me :rolleyes:

Signy

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
If GP Practices are online (as they should now be) and offer patients online access this should now be extended in England to being able to view medical records... However, some Practices are still waiting for software updates to enable this.
This is how it goes in basic terms:
"GP software will be configured to offer all coded data by default but GPs will have the option and configuration tools to withhold coded information where they judge it to be in the patient's interests or where there is reference to a third party"

I am seeing my GP next week to complain about the hassle I have everytime regarding blood tests and results so I am hoping they will alleviate my problems allowing me access to at least my blood tests when they upgrade.

As my hospital is outside of the CCG area they cannot see my GP blood test results, so it would be great to be able to show my consultant via patient access on my phone. Other than that I have to get a print out and scan it and email it to my consultant... And thats after arguing with GP's as to whether they are going to give me a form gor bloods or whether my hospital is!

You would never believe the hassle with my GP Practice. They get my hospital blood tests accidentally and call me in to see DSN and when I dispute this they then agree that I don't have to as it was only 6 weeks previous that they saw me and GP had just written on "excellent results.. See DSN" without checking. Yet when I have the highest B12 indicating something is wrong they file them as normal and yet again my Consultant has to email me to tell them what tests they should be doing!!

**** laughsble...