exercise - what works for you?

Minnie45

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Back down the gym (pretty strenuous workouts) and despite reducing my basals I'm still dropping around 25 minutes into my workout, not always hypo (but close), although I have had a couple. Am going to reduce my basal again, I'm even considering removing my pump completely during my workout. I know we're all different but I'd be interested to know what works for them.

Thanks

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Back down the gym (pretty strenuous workouts) and despite reducing my basals I'm still dropping around 25 minutes into my workout, not always hypo (but close), although I have had a couple. Am going to reduce my basal again, I'm even considering removing my pump completely during my workout. I know we're all different but I'd be interested to know what works for them.

Thanks
How long before your exercise do you reduce the basal? Removing the pump whilst exercising is pointless as the reduction needs to be done a couple of hours before.

Reactions: 4 people

Minnie45

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
How long before your exercise do you reduce the basal? Removing the pump whilst exercising is pointless as the reduction needs to be done a couple of hours before.

I reduce 1 hour before exercise, sorry to sound stupid but I hadn't considered reducing a couple of hours before (and I hadn't been advised either), I may give that a go tomorrow.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I reduce 1 hour before exercise, sorry to sound stupid but I hadn't considered reducing a couple of hours before (and I hadn't been advised either), I may give that a go tomorrow.
It isn't stupid at all :) I think at times we all forget that the basal pattern we set is 1 - 3 hours before it's needed whilst pumping. It's a case of experimenting until you find what suits your needs :)

Minnie45

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It isn't stupid at all :) I think at times we all forget that the basal pattern we set is 1 - 3 hours before it's needed whilst pumping. It's a case of experimenting until you find what suits your needs :)

Thank you :)

Reactions: 2 people

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
for a typical 10km run or hour on the bike i'm going down to 20-30% basal for three hours before, adn stopping the pump during. TEst every 5km running, 30-45 min riding and eat accordingly.

I make no changes for anaerobic exercise, yoga has very little impact on BG, weights normally casues a spike that resolves itself shortly after.

Long rides are a bit more difficult, but basically reduce the basal as soon as poss, or up to 3 hours before, monotor regularly and eat accordingly

Minnie45

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
for a typical 10km run or hour on the bike i'm going down to 20-30% basal for three hours before, adn stopping the pump during. TEst every 5km running, 30-45 min riding and eat accordingly.

I make no changes for anaerobic exercise, yoga has very little impact on BG, weights normally casues a spike that resolves itself shortly after.

Long rides are a bit more difficult, but basically reduce the basal as soon as poss, or up to 3 hours before, monotor regularly and eat accordingly

Thanks Dave, I was going back down the gym today but giving myself a day off, back down tomorrow as I have a trainer so tomorrow will be a bit harder lol Will try reducing my basal rate 2 hours before, if no joy I'm gong to try 3 hours before. I'm determined to get on top of this, it'll just take time.

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Thanks
Following what I have learned on here, mainly from ElyDave and others, just for an energetic walk (all hills where I live, and I go at a good pace) I reduce my basal down to 30% an hour and a half before, and I cut my previous bolus (I.e. On the meal before exercise) by 50%. Usually, I don't need to take on extra carbs unless I walk for over two hours - but I carry them because you never know!

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I tried faces way the other day and I must report it worked so well so thank you Dave. I did it for the gym so works for running for me for 30mins which is the longest I have been Able to exercise in years. Thanks Dave it means so much to me. I am going to try for 45 minute swim on Wednesday and see what happens. I have planned time to chill after so who knows! I use to take my pump off but got reminded re keystones possibility with doing that so exercise has been a nightmare since