weight loss exercise issue

Fenrir

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
folk music, spicy food, and football
I need advice on exercising to help me lose weight. I used to do loads of walking, but the neuropathy in my feet and calves prevents me from doing this.
Can anyone suggest anything else that I can do, that burns as many calories
that doesn't involve lots of use of my legs?

rahul991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
hate eating food with better taste.
JUST LIE UPSIDE DOWN ON ONE HAND AND SLOWLY LWT YOUR BODY MOVE TOO AND FORTH.

rahul991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
hate eating food with better taste.
I just cannot even imagine doing this. How will this burn calories and how does it work ?
musles in motion will contract and relax which results into loss of sweat and fats too.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I need advice on exercising to help me lose weight. I used to do loads of walking, but the neuropathy in my feet and calves prevents me from doing this.

Exercise in water. Swim, aqua-aerobics and aqua running. In deep water feet do not make contact with the pool floor so no impact on joints or discomfort to feet or legs.

To lose weight need to consider your diet too.

Reactions: 10 people

Baruney

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Could you get a personal trainer to plan something for you?
Good thinking. ASK your dn if they can refer you to your local health trainers. They will be able to set up an achievable/specific exercise programme tailored to your needs. Some area have free training but most are subsidised.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.

Sorry to say, but exercise is not the way to lose weight.
Exercise is very good in that it increases your general fitness, reduces insulin resistance, and can also pump you full of endorphins so you feel good about yourself and are not tempted to cheer yourself up with a snack.

However it is suggested that a pound of body fat is equal to about 3500 calories.
I'm struggling a bit with Google because I thought you burned that in about 2.5 hours vigorous cycling but my current searches are suggesting that you burn about 900 calories per hour through vigorous cycling which would mean that you would have to cycle vigorously for nearly 4 hours to burn off a pound of fat.

So to lose weight you have to eat less.
If you are eating just enough to maintain your weight then exercise can tip the balance, but this will not be in a dramatic way - cycle vigorously for an hour every day for a week AND don't let yourself eat more because exercise makes you hungry and you think you deserve a treat, and then you can start to slowly lose weight at just over a pound a week.

Exercises for fitness if you have foot problems - you may still be able to cycle because the bike takes about 70% of the load which makes it much easier for your feet to cope. Swimming is also good. If you can get to a gym then rowing machines and upper body weights can tone you up and improve your general fitness. Any exercise is better than no exercise.

Hope this helps.

LGC

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Fenrir, have you tried using weights? There are some exercises you can do in a sitting position. The other obvious thing is swimming if you can get to a pool. Plus a stationary bike. And to lose weight you just need to run on a deficit. So if you increase your "output" by 200-300 calories a day by exercising and cut back on your intake by 100-200 (which is about two biscuits), you will lose weight. Certainly cutting back on eating will do it, but most people will tell you that only lasts till you "relax" and then it springs back with fat to spare. If you exercise, you build muscle, which requires more calories, so that even if you let up for a few days or a week or two, you don't gain it back quite so fast.

Reactions: 4 people

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
All of the above and specifically low carb eating will help a huge amount with weight loss

19roddas70

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
the more you try to lose weight the harder it becomes i lost just under 3stone since march the 9th but i dont see the difference of feel any different as been sleeping a lot more these days with a sugar crash and yet i stopped eating sugary stuff and takeaways and been on sugar free juice and only have the odd cup of tea or coffee as with having type 2 mellitus i drink more than eat as i go for fruit and keep of the coleslaw no matter which one its is a was told as long as your eating pasta potatoes or rice and fish and chicken and other things like that it was ok by an nhs dietitian and the best thing i found to have when thirsty is sf lemonade by schweppes and sugar free juice added to it to mix it as i mix them both to taste like tango is orange and mango juice from tesco and its even better when chilled and loads of pasta salad if any of this helps hope so and all you can do is try it
always go for sugar free it helps every day in one way or another