I need some suggestions.

Happyone

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who are judgemental
I have found these threadsvery informative. I now realise that I'm additive to carbs as finding it hard to give up weetbix for breakfast and Vegemite & cheese sandwiches for lunch. So hungry all the time but have no craving for cakes, sweets etc thank goodness, but now think that carbs are just as bad. Thanks everyone I must work on finding replacements. I'm type 2 for over 20 years just moved over from medication to insulin and retired. What I eat seems to be more of a problem these days. Any further ideas please.

Reactions: 3 people

Tm6t7

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Happyone, I was a carb addict for all my life, type2 diagnosis earlier this year, found this forum and immediately embraced the LCHF life. I'm on 500mg Metformin, my first finger prick test with the nurse was 23.5...after my usual breakfast of porridge, toast and marmalade, tea with 2 sugars...I asked what the blood result should read..the nurse (bless) said it should be around 12 (lol) after just two weeks had another test with the diabetes nurse and it was 9.2...the change? Bacon, eggs and mushrooms for breakfast!!
I was always hungry during the day on my carb life, now I don't feel hungry and I also enjoy Fage Full Fat yoghurt with some cinnamon sprinkled on it or strawberries or blueberries mixed in. Once the morning feast is over I find the rest of the day just feels 'complete'
I hope this gives you an incentive to try to ditch those naughty carbs :)
I'm off to make my bank holiday brekkie of sausages, bacon, tomato, egg and black pudding...I then challenge my tummy to say it's hungry :D

Reactions: 10 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I have found these threads very informative. I now realise that I'm additive to carbs as finding it hard to give up weetbix for breakfast and Vegemite & cheese sandwiches for lunch. So hungry all the time but have no craving for cakes, sweets etc thank goodness, but now think that carbs are just as bad. Thanks everyone I must work on finding replacements. I'm type 2 for over 20 years just moved over from medication to insulin and retired. What I eat seems to be more of a problem these days. Any further ideas please.

They say it takes 28days to break an addiction...
Having seen my hubby (non diabetic though) but was obese to change to my eating of less to moderate carbs I know it can be done. In total he has lost 4st and proudly kept it off and carries on.

I have an absolute addiction to coffee.. I'm going to buy a pitcher today to try and start drinking water instead and try to flavour it with cucumber, lemon and lime etc. hating pure water and cold fizzy drinks or any other hot drink I know I have to find a different choice. Also that I will have to cut the caffeine sliwly as I'm likely to crash on grumpiness and headaches.

Changing anything that an individual finds pleasurable is **** hard and a challenge that isn't easy. However, it's our health and we have to be able to find out causes of addictions and to give things a go in our own ways to suit our brains that do our individual thinking.

Reactions: 4 people

Amanda61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done @Tm6t7. Just shows that by cutting out those bad carbs, your
Levels have dropped.
You think you are eating healthy by having cereal, but when you read how
many carbs are in there, it's frightening.

Reactions: 5 people

Amanda61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
They say it takes 28days to break an addiction...
Having seen my hubby (non diabetic though) but was obese to change to my eating of less to moderate carbs I know it can be done. In total he has lost 4st and proudly kept it off and carries on.

I have an absolute addiction to coffee.. I'm going to buy a pitcher today to try and start drinking water instead and try to flavour it with cucumber, lemon and lime etc. hating pure water and cold fizzy drinks or any other hot drink I know I have to find a different choice. Also that I will have to cut the caffeine sliwly as I'm likely to crash on grumpiness and headaches.

Changing anything that an individual finds pleasurable is **** hard and a challenge that isn't easy. However, it's our health and we have to be able to find out causes of addictions and to give things a go in our own ways to suit our brains that do our individual thinking.
Try a water filter @donnellysdogs the water is delicious. Keep it in the fridge, so you get
cold delicious water.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Try a water filter @donnellysdogs the water is delicious. Keep it in the fridge, so you get
cold delicious water.

Done that. Just something about tap water taste. I like sparkling water occasionally but not as a full time (ish) drink. Just thinking that a bit of flavour may entice me to try as there is literally no other beverage besides coconut and pineapple juice with icecream that I enjoy. Obviously thats a one off no, no drink!!! Lol:):). Time is 8.30 in morning and I've aleeady had two small cups of coffee.
Going to visit a garden and house and fayre today and hubby said "should we take a flask of coffee?" Have said no because I know that will just be another 3 cups when if I buy one it will be enough... Trying to reprogramme my brain...i have a water filter but again its just not a taste I enjoy at all so just thinking a bit of flavour. Plus I have so many cucumbers growing and some will be ready to eat next week that I got to be able to use them up! Never heard of cucumber water but here goes!! Will give it a go. May be refreshing to take with me when gardening and may detox my kidneys too.

Reactions: 4 people

Tm6t7

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@donnellysdogs I too am a coffee fiend..can you not just ease over to caffeine free? I don't drink enough water, although I drink a lot more than I used to, I find the kiddies lunchbox bottles of spring water are quite palatable and only 330mls so not a daunting prospect..I always looked at the bigger bottles and thought pffft lets brew some coffee instead :D

Reactions: 2 people

Amanda61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Done that. Just something about tap water taste. I like sparkling water occasionally but not as a full time (ish) drink. Just thinking that a bit of flavour may entice me to try as there is literally no other beverage besides coconut and pineapple juice with icecream that I enjoy. Obviously thats a one off no, no drink!!! Lol:):). Time is 8.30 in morning and I've aleeady had two small cups of coffee.
Going to visit a garden and house and fayre today and hubby said "should we take a flask of coffee?" Have said no because I know that will just be another 3 cups when if I buy one it will be enough... Trying to reprogramme my brain...i have a water filter but again its just not a taste I enjoy at all so just thinking a bit of flavour. Plus I have so many cucumbers growing and some will be ready to eat next week that I got to be able to use them up! Never heard of cucumber water but here goes!! Will give it a go. May be refreshing to take with me when gardening and may detox my kidneys too.
Have you let the water run a bit before filling your water filter. I didn't one time and
The taste was yuk!
Putting cucumber in and lemon and lime sound lush. :)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
@donnellysdogs I too am a coffee fiend..can you not just ease over to caffeine free? I don't drink enough water, although I drink a lot more than I used to, I find the kiddies lunchbox bottles of spring water are quite palatable and only 330mls so not a daunting prospect..I always looked at the bigger bottles and thought pffft lets brew some coffee instead :D

I just think the qty I drink of cups whether caffeine or not is so excessive so need to kick the habit pretty much.. As I know I would go back to full on caffeine... Will have a look at kiddies lunch box spring water..but is it fizzy-lol. Water has to be fizzy or I have previously disliked..

Tm6t7

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Tesco one is still, not sure if they do a sparkling version :(
I have plenty of caffeine free coffee, and I always lived by the mantra of 'not worth it if its caffeine free' but it tastes just the same...as a coffee snob I have ground coffee or Carte Noire Instinct (millicano sometimes..depends on offers) it all boils down to budget I guess :)

Tm6t7

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yoiks!! Just finished Bank Holiday breakfast...checked the black pudding carb content (which I foolishly didn't do whilst shopping..lesson learnt there!) it's 22g per 100g so decided against it, sure someone said black pudding was ok...still, nil desperandum :D
Best wake the cats up so we can go for our walks :)

C

catherinecherub

I have found these threadsvery informative. I now realise that I'm additive to carbs as finding it hard to give up weetbix for breakfast and Vegemite & cheese sandwiches for lunch. So hungry all the time but have no craving for cakes, sweets etc thank goodness, but now think that carbs are just as bad. Thanks everyone I must work on finding replacements. I'm type 2 for over 20 years just moved over from medication to insulin and retired. What I eat seems to be more of a problem these days. Any further ideas please.
Hi and welcome to the forum.

I will tag @daisy1 and she will post some basic information that will help you with your diet.

Happyone

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thanks catherinecherub, much appreciated, will wait for info

Happyone

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Donnellysdogs, I make up jugs of oolong tea and green tea to keep in the fridge. Tastes great and very refreshing, no sugar or milk.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Happyone

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

Lots of helpful advice above from several members. Here to help you some more is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you like and someone will come along and advise you.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 140,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

vintageutopia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I love coffee too. :)

Another way to flavor your water is to cold-brew herbal teas. I stick a gallon jug with about 5-6 tea bags in it and let it infuse overnight.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Just got my pitcher to fit in fridge door. I did think of cold tea whilst out because hubby goes through phases of buying and drinking and not drinking..

So is it just cold water to infuse overnight?

7 small mugs of coffee so far today which is a cut down for me!! Not ratty so far but have a long way to go to get down to 3 a day...still got 8 hours to go!!

vintageutopia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just got my pitcher to fit in fridge door. I did think of cold tea whilst out because hubby goes through phases of buying and drinking and not drinking..

So is it just cold water to infuse overnight?

7 small mugs of coffee so far today which is a cut down for me!! Not ratty so far but have a long way to go to get down to 3 a day...still got 8 hours to go!!

Yes! Depending on the size of your container, you will have to play with the amount of tea bags needed, but I use 6 tea bags for a gallon and let it infuse overnight. Depending on which tea you use, you may need to add more tea bags to get the flavor you prefer.

Some of my favorites- that translate well into cold iced tea- are berry and peach teas, as well as, green mint.

My family loves hibiscus tea, otherwise known as Agua de Jamaica tea. The nutritional properties of hibiscus leaves is rich in antioxidants and Vit C.
Instructions:
  • Bring 4 cups of water to boil
  • Add 1/2 cup of dried hibiscus leaves and 1/3 cup sugar (I sweeten with stevia and no one can tell the difference)
  • Remove pan from heat source, cover, and let steep for 10 minutes
  • Strain pan contents through cheesecloth into a jug and then add 3 more cups of water
  • Chill
*** I like this tea a bit tart, so I usually add another 1/4 of hibiscus leaves. Try the recipe
above first and then play with it a bit.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Fresh hand picked hibiscus leaves? I would be able to pick loads of those:):)! Brilliant.
Stupid question now.. Do you think I could freeze the hibiscus leaves for use in the winter?