Thanks for the help

WeeFergus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty to humans and animals.
I was diagnosed as a T2 in January with an HbA1c of 53. My DN gave me target of 47 but, at the time, I hadn't a clue how to get there and she said it would probably be impossible with diet alone but that I could get medication after trying for 3 months.

I signed up to this Forum in mid February and read a lot. I adopted the LCHF diet - although I didn't really take to the high fat (at least my gallbladder didn't !). However, I changed my low fat yoghurts for full fat Greek ones and ate a lot more olives, avocados,and olive oil. I bought a meter and some strips and, for the first 2 weeks or so, I tested what food 'spiked' me. I got some surprises (porridge, lentils etc.) so out they went - along with the usual suspects (bread, potatoes, pasta and rice). I also found out how much I liked peanut butter in celery sticks, cauliflower, broccoli and celeriac (I hadn't ever eaten that before and now I'm hooked). I've even experimented with a 100ml glass of nice red wine before bedtime for a week to see if that reduced my morning dump from my liver.

I went to my GP's last Tuesday and another nurse took my blood test, weighed me and checked my blood pressure. I'm due to see my DN for a review on May 11th and to attend a Desmond course on May 7th.

I also signed up with an NHS Scotland online interactive website for diabetics. They have details of my test results, clinic letters and treatment plan. What a shock I got today when I logged in to see my latest results had already been posted and I was really pleased to see my HbA1c was now 42 !!

I've also lost 24 lbs and my cholesterol has dropped from 3.9 to 3.4 (I've been on statins for a few years after a few small TIAs).

My only concern is that my blood pressure was elevated and I'll see what the DN nurse says at my review. I'd rather not go on medication, so maybe a few other changes are needed. I did explain to the nurse who took the test that I've just had '2 weeks from hell' and she noted that on my records, so maybe my pressure will have reduced by the time of my review.

I'd like to say thanks to all the people on this forum who give us 'newbies' the advice and encouragement we need. I don't want to highlight anybody in particular but I've found the posters on the thread that encouraged me to post my fasting levels in the morning and the recipes thread particularly useful. I'm sorry if I've silently stalked a few of the members (you probably know who you are) around the forums just reading their posts and absorbing their advice.

I know this isn't the end of the story (it's probably only just the first chapter) but I'm really quite a happy bunny.

Thanks again.

Reactions: 15 people

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Great that you are doing well. I tried very hard to like celeriac (I too had never tried it before) but the more I tried it the less I liked it so it is now off the menu!

WeeFergus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
So far I've only had it mashed with butter but I'm going to try it roasted soon.

KateA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Meat and now sugar and carbs!!!
@WeeFergus well done to you. You put the in the hard work . and are now seeing the results. Keep it up. Like you, I registered on the mydiabetesmyway website but having teething troubles with it.
Btw. Celeriac chips are fab.

Reactions: 2 people

WeeFergus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks KateA, I'm so pleased that I won't have to add to my existing medication and have proved the DN wrong. Without all the advice on this Forum I would not have had a chance. Before diagnosis, I rarely ate sweet things BUT I was a real carb lover (bread, potatoes and pasta in particular).

I must try Celeriac chips. Do you do them in the oven?

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@WeeFergus well done to you. You put the in the hard work . and are now seeing the results. Keep it up. Like you, I registered on the mydiabetesmyway website but having teething troubles with it.
Btw. Celeriac chips are fab.

Do you deep fry them or drizzle with oil and roast as I might like celeriac chips; just love potato chips, in fact, potatoes most ways; spicy wedges are yummy. I think I will try celeriac wedges. Took your post to make me think of it. Thank you.

KateA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I marinade the celeriac 'chips" in oil before roasting in the oven. You can add any herbs or spices to the marinade, curry spices work well.

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I marinade the celeriac 'chips" in oil before roasting in the oven. You can add any herbs or spices to the marinade, curry spices work well.

Thanks, will have a go and see if they are any better than mashed!

WeeFergus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks, will have a go and see if they are any better than mashed!
So will I. One more question do you cut the celeriac into 'chippy' chips or American chips (crisps)?

KateA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@WeeFergus chippy chips, nice and chunky. Cannot be doing with 'fries' or crips. There is a bit of shrinkage when you roast them. My non diabetic son loves them, I wonder sometimes if I just like my food because I have too.

WeeFergus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@WeeFergus chippy chips, nice and chunky. Cannot be doing with 'fries' or crips. There is a bit of shrinkage when you roast them. My non diabetic son loves them, I wonder sometimes if I just like my food because I have too.
Thanks KateA. I'll give them a go when I get an urge for a chippy!

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done weefergus, those are great results & once again show the lchf works unlike the Nhs eatwell plan, oneday they will come to realise that they are just making people more ill in the long run & adding to the Nhs costs in treating the complications & medications needed. (Oh boy I'm like a broken record).

WeeFergus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Well done weefergus, those are great results & once again show the lchf works unlike the Nhs eatwell plan, oneday they will come to realise that they are just making people more ill in the long run & adding to the Nhs costs in treating the complications & medications needed. (Oh boy I'm like a broken record).
Thanks Paul59. I will find out on Thursday what the DEsMOND course advises. I don't know if they will have access to my results but I'll take a copy with me and would like to take to the floor to explain to the other diabetics how I did it. I doubt if that will be permitted.

WeeFergus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@WeeFergus What a brilliant post! Well done for doing the hard work. :)

Hi Zand, after the first few days it wasn't really all that hard. I was a massive carb eater but I kept reading on this forum what the dire consequences could be if I ignored my diabetes and there were so many success stories that I could use for motivation.

WeeFergus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Great stuff @WeeFergus. Google remulade recipes an all time classic and very, very nice.
Baruney, that celeriac remoulade looks right up my street. I can't believe that I'd never tried celeriac before reading about on this forum. I've used it as a topping for cottage pie and fish pie and find it is really difficult to tell it from mashed potatoes (one of my past loves). I'm going to try some of the 'bread' and 'cracker' recipes next.

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So will I. One more question do you cut the celeriac into 'chippy' chips or American chips (crisps)?
Thanks Paul59. I will find out on Thursday what the DEsMOND course advises. I don't know if they will have access to my results but I'll take a copy with me and would like to take to the floor to explain to the other diabetics how I did it. I doubt if that will be permitted.

I think they will let you. The advice on my DESMOND day was the standard low fat and not too many carbs but must have some carbs; cut fat off meat, don't eat the chicken skin, Flora instead of butter etc. but we did all get a chance to give input.

Good luck and let us know how you gat on and what they say about your diet.

Baruney

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Baruney, that celeriac remoulade looks right up my street. I can't believe that I'd never tried celeriac before reading about on this forum. I've used it as a topping for cottage pie and fish pie and find it is really difficult to tell it from mashed potatoes (one of my past loves). I'm going to try some of the 'bread' and 'cracker' recipes next.
There's a reason why you won't find coleslaw in a french supermarket but an aisle full of this stuff. Have an experiment with the ingredients and you won't look back. I like mine spicy!