Should prediabetics get their eyes tested?

Hedonista

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've never had an eye test. I'm 57 this year and although my vision's not as sharp as it was, I can still read labels without specs etc, so I haven't bothered to get an eye test. I notice I can't read small writing in red - the names of A roads on maps for instance, unless the light is good, and I need good light to read small print, but I'm not having to hold things at arms length to read them...
However, with a diagnosis of prediabetes should I be concerned about retinopathy? Or is that only an issue if I become diabetic?

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've never had an eye test. I'm 57 this year and although my vision's not as sharp as it was, I can still read labels without specs etc, so I haven't bothered to get an eye test. I notice I can't read small writing in red - the names of A roads on maps for instance, unless the light is good, and I need good light to read small print, but I'm not having to hold things at arms length to read them...
However, with a diagnosis of prediabetes should I be concerned about retinopathy? Or is that only an issue if I become diabetic?

Get your eyes tested. It is not just to see if you need specs. Many conditions can be detected early, and treated before there are irreversible problems.

Especially important if you are a driver and having difficulty with map reading etc.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Everyone is advised to get their eyes tested every 2 years.

After the age of 40 it is worth doing this to test for glaucoma alone. And since some forms of glaucoma are carried by a recessive gene, you may develop it without knowing you have been carrying it. Untreated glaucoma can lead to tunnel vision and blindness. A colleague lost his job, aged 45, from glaucoma, because his eyesight had deteriorated without him knowing to such an extent he was considered to be unsafe doing his safety critical job. He has now lost his driving licence too.

Diabetic eye tests check the retina of the eye using photography. Some high street eye tests do not have the equipment to do this, but in my experience, Boots the opticians do this as standard. I'm sure it isn't as thorough a test as a hospital check, but I saw the retinal photos, was given a guided tour of optic nerve, veins, arteries, pigmentation specs, etc. and the new photos were compared with the 2 yr old photos from last time.

I was delighted, and felt confident in the clear bill of health (and they didn't use eye drops!).

Reactions: 2 people

Hedonista

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can see well enough to drive ie can read a numberplate at the right distance (as was confirmed at a recent speed awareness course!) and I can read signs etc fine. And who uses maps?! I have a sat nav! But I'll go get a test then if it's the case that my risk for retinopathy is increased by prediabetes.
Thanks for your replies.

Hedonista

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just to say, I had my eyes tested this week and all is fine. I'm within the legal limit for driving and also don't yet need reading glasses, and my eyes are healthy and hunky dory. Glad I had it done, it's one less thing to worry about, so thanks for giving me the push I needed!

C

CheeseJunkie

There are many eye conditions, and many are irreversible. I have high intra-occular pressure. If it goes too high, I may start losing vision. There is medication to prevent further rise. But only if you get diagnosed first! Once lost, lost vision (in this condition) cannot be regained.

Yes, get your eyes tested.

Hedonista

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There are many eye conditions, and many are irreversible. I have high intra-occular pressure. If it goes too high, I may start losing vision. There is medication to prevent further rise. But only if you get diagnosed first! Once lost, lost vision (in this condition) cannot be regained.

Yes, get your eyes tested.

Hi CJ - if you read higher up this thread you'll see that I did! Sorry to hear about your condition - I hope it remains stable x

jeanie99

I have been short sighted since being a child so regularly go for eye tests.
I had a test last week and found out that diabetes blood sugar levels can affect a prescription.
My optician needed to know from my GP if my blood levels were stable before she could issue a new prescription.
There was a change in the prescription to my old specs but not so significant that I needed to change the lenses.

It's always best to get an eye test.