A week in....

redding43

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
So, we are now a week in from the diagnosis for our 2yr old daughter of Type 1.

We are aware we are in the Honeymoon period where things are more stable than they may be in the future but we are so pleased that, for now, we are managing her blood sugars well. We have generally stayed within the 4-7 range but after a couple of days of being out of hospital she started waking up hypo with c3.2. Probably not a surprise really as she has always been a good sleeper, except when ill, and going from 7.30 pm until 7.30 am is not unusual. Jelly babies did the trick but we have taken another approach of giving her a small glass of milk and a biscuit before bed which seems to have done the trick as she is now waking up at c4.5.

Today though was the real test as we ventured for a day out at Longleat. As well as her (and our 15yr old son) enjoying the day our we managed the slight change to the routine really well. We have noticed that her appetite has started to reduce in the last week from the initial 'over indulgence' and today has felt almost 'normal' with her blood sugar rising to 6.5 only as a result of a small ice cream as a rare treat. She's now sound asleep in bed and we are one happy set of parents.

What has been really astounding though is how easily she has adapted to the new routine of blood tests and injections. Not sure if it will last but for now she is actively participating in the process and sometimes takes the lead when she knows dinner is due.

A new life, a new routine but still the same great kids.

Reactions: 5 people

samsmummy2015

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good to hear she is taking to it very well. My son was 20 months when he was diagnosed and he has took to it like a duck to water. If u want to chat im here. X

Reactions: 7 people

redding43

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Well, we are now 3 weeks in and the honeymoon period continues. Our main issues are waking up in the morning in Hypo, but only barely at typically 3.8-3.9. This seems to happen now two or three mornings a week. She is not on the slow acting insulin yet as her doses are minuscule so we can't adjust anything insulin related. We give her milk and a biscuit before bed to try and give her a boost overnight but it's all a bit hit and miss. Otherwise her bloods are ranging between 4.2-6.4 on a day - all good.

Her nursery have been remarkable, they have not had to look after a child with diabetes to date so were quite anxious. Fortunately our daughter is a natural, not causing any fuss with the constant injections and the nursery have really taken the whole thing on board and are great. I should say that the Hospital, particularly the Diabetic nurse and dietician have also been great, not only visiting us but also spending time with the nursery getting them up to speed on carbs, their impact and how to administer insulin.

A big test this weekend, we are visiting family a few hours away including attending a joint birthday party in the evening for friends and staying over for a few nights. Wish us luck!

It's funny what life throws at you. Sometimes you just have to dust yourselves off and move on

Reactions: 5 people

samsmummy2015

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can i ask what insulin she is on? I give samuel a cup of milk and anack b4 bed too but i make sure the snack has at least 6-8g carbs of which sugar, as i find this helps keep his blood sugars regular during the night.

redding43

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, samsmummy. She is on 0.5 Novorapid before each meal. Her last meal is about 5.30pm and she goes to bed at about 7.30pm (and sleeps through until 8am normally! - which is partly why I am guessing she is going Hypo in the Honeymoon period)

samsmummy2015

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Samuel is on Humulin M3. It is a mixture of 30% soluble insulin and 70% of isophane insulin. He gets 3 units after breakfast and 2 units b4 bed.

We also have novorapid insulin for samuel but we were told by his diabetic nurse to only use it if his blood sugars are 22 or higher, thankfully we have never needed to use it.

When ur daughter has had her insulin do u find that her blood sugars drop very quickly or do they gradually drop?

redding43

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
They drop primarily over the next hour but not by a great deal. She is normally in the 5-6 range before her next meal so the range from meal to meal normally follows the pattern (pre meal>between meal>pre-meal). With the exception of breakfast where, providing she has not woke up hypo, she is normally about 4.2:

5/6 > 4/5 > 5/6

redding43

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
I should say that currently we are under instructions to eat as much as she feels, providing we hit at least 20g carbs for breakfast and lunch and 30g for dinner

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Samuel is on Humulin M3. It is a mixture of 30% soluble insulin and 70% of isophane insulin. He gets 3 units after breakfast and 2 units b4 bed.
I find this dosage very worrying. The mixed insulin your son is on is meant to be taken before meals (Breakfast and evening meal) The soluable is to cover the meal.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.

We also have novorapid insulin for samuel but we were told by his diabetic nurse to only use it if his blood sugars are 22 or higher, thankfully we have never needed to use it.

When ur daughter has had her insulin do u find that her blood sugars drop very quickly or do they gradually drop?

Not having extra novorapid until a level of 22?

I take it Samuel is under the care of a Consultant at hospital??

Sorry.. I think 22 is way too high before giving a shot to bring levels down.

samsmummy2015

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes he is under a consultant at hospital. We find that giving him his insulin after his food works better. His consultant is more than happy with us doing this. I never do anything without consulting his consultant first. I can always contact her 24/7.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Yes he is under a consultant at hospital. We find that giving him his insulin after his food works better. His consultant is more than happy with us doing this. I never do anything without consulting his consultant first. I can always contact her 24/7.

Thats good that you have care 24/7. At a level of 22 though a child can experience extreme moods and tiredness and being grumpy and lethargic and feel awful and thirsty too. Just shock from an adult that hates to be even a 9.0 yet alone 22 without more insulin...

redding43

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Best laid plans and all that.......

......well our weekend was a shambles. Not because of Rosie's diabetes, we were prepared for that. What we was not prepared for was a reoccurrence of a stomach upset that she had a few months ago resulting in.....how can I put this nicely......both ends being on active duty!

Not helped of course by the fact that we was away from home. Her Blood Sugar dipped a little but worse so far was a 3.5 Hypo this morning. We called the hospital to check we were looking out for any worrying signs and all seems ok so far. Rosie is fine in herself but it has put a bit of a downer on the weekend.

We are back home and feeling more comfortable now. Let's see what the next few days brings.

redding43

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Well......be careful what you wish for.

Putting it nicely, I woke up yesterday to my wife being ill. It looks like she has caught the stomach bug. Best place for her was bed for the day. Rosie was generally ok in the day but not eating with her normal gusto. Her blood sugar was 3.2 at breakfast but other than that stayed stable at between 4-5 throughout most of the day. But then came Dinner (teatime).....

Novorapid just given and then just as dinner placed on the table she was violently ill. After cleaning up we reverted to very dry food but she was not interested. By 6pm her bloods were ok but Keytones were 1.2. Quick call to hospital (we were given a direct line) and the suggestion of getting her to eat small and often for a few hours and then measure key tones again. This did the trick and it reduced to a healthy 0.4. Then bedtime came......

All started well but I moved into the spare room to be close to her and was woken at 12 by her being ill. Lots of clearing up and a quick bath and back to bed. Repeat the last sentence 2 further times over the next hour! On the 3rd occasion I took her bloods for sugar and key tones. Bloods ok (4.2) but key tones 1.8. Quick call to hospital and I was requested to bring her in straight away.

Hospital service was great at first, checks done and concluded that she was ok other than having this stomach bug. Before they sent us home though they wanted a final opinion from the lead doctor on duty. 2hrs later (!) they came and stated it was all fine and high key tones are nothing to worry about as long as blood sugars are good (contrary to the advice on the phone). Was discharged and finally got home at 4.30am.

Rosie has been a trouper through all of this, for a child just under 3 yrs she has plodded on. She slept until 9am which was a relief. Her blood sugar on waking was 2.2, lower than it has ever been. Two jelly babies failed to lift her above 2.5 and a further 2 just got her to 3.2. Moved her straight to breakfast without Novorapid and a hour later she was 4.2. Therein followed a full on, pretty bad, nappy.

Oh yes....I forgot to say that our 15yr old had a minor breakdown as well yesterday. He is clearly missing out on attention during all of this and worries constantly about his sister. Add to this it is exam time and he is having problems with a couple of bullies the poor lad is not having a great time.

Sorry for the detail, hope none of you are eating, just find it easier to off-load here as need to remain strong whilst everyone is feeling ****.

Onwards and upwards!

samsmummy2015

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry to hear she had had a bad tummy bug. Glad to hear is she starting to feel better. Thankfully i havent had to deal with a stomach bug just yet. Really not looking forward to it.

samsmummy2015

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just a suggestion could u get your 15 yr old to help when u take her blood sugars etc? Let him see what is involved and maybe let him take them under ur supervision? Or if she takes a low blood sugar ask him to get u her sweets?

redding43

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. He is involved with this so all good there. Lots of history is causing this, he struggles with anxiety a lot and we have had counselling and will have again further support. He has challenges around social engagement and struggles with some of the realities of life.

He is...without question..the most loving, fantastic son and big brother and it is so sad to see him go through life having to deal with this and the resulting loneliness that happens due to not having a strong friend network due to his social challenges. I strongly believe that adult life will suit him much better. Other kids can be so cruel