Insulin pump

Sarahkylie7

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi,

This is my first time posting in here, I'm hoping for a little advice or shared experiences!
I have one little boy aged 4.5 and in the future I would like to think about another child.
I didn't find out I was pregnant with my little boy till late (about 3months) as I have PCOS, t because my hba1/c was 6.5 they had let me carry on with the pregnancy.
The start of my pregnancy was fine, but towards the end of the second trimester my sugars started to rise sharply in the morning about 5/6 am! They would suddenly shoot up to about 15 for no reason. I was told it was something they call 'dawn phenomenon' basically I got a surge of hormones at that time of the morning that pushed my sugar up. They tried me in the pump, but because I didn't have a long time to get used to it it really scared me! I handed it back to them in tears after about 4 days as I just couldn't get to grips with it in such a short space of time!
So obviously if I was going to go on the pump I would want to give myself a period of time to get used to it before even thinking about using it when pregnant as my insulin ratios were completely flipped on their head, I would want to be as confident in using it as I aam with my pens.

I would like to know if anyone has had a similar experience and how u have found things. My sugar is well controlled and I'm not sure how I would feel almost relinquishing control to a machine? The thought scares me! I do like the sound of the omnipod? A girl I work with at school has this and I like the fact it doesn't attach to you with wires.

Thanks for your help

Sarah

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It is a lot easier to go on the pump when you are not pregnant because you don't have to worry about the high sugars that most of us get before finding our correct basal levels.

It looks like you didn't have a lot of time to get used to the idea of going on the pump before actually having it attached to you. When prepared, you do get used it.

Some hospitals don't use the Omnipod, I'm afraid, so you might have to make do with one with tubing. Honestly, you do get used to it and if you stay calm, you learn how to make changes when appropriate.

Reactions: 3 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think it's a very good idea to try and get used to a pump before you get pregnant again. I've found my pump ideal for controlling my blood sugar in pregnancy ( my last HbA1C was 4.7). I get a bad Dawn Phenomen but my pump controls that and my sugars don't go high.

You're not really handing control to a machine. A pump will only do what you tell it to do, so you need to be aware of your diabetes and, with the help of your team, be confident about managing your insulin doses. It takes work, especially to start with.

If you could get your sugars well-controlled on a pump and use it for a while, you'd be in a good position to get pregnant. I completely understand why it' was too much for you when you were pregnant, but hopefully having one when you're not pregnant would allow you to get used to it.

I don't have an Omnipod. I have a pump with a tube. I've never had any problems with it and find it suits me very well.

Read lots on the Internet before making your decision and be aware that it'll take a while to get your doses right on the pump. Also, you have to carb count (if you don't already).

Willertime

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes I agree with dancer without the added pressure of a pregnancy I think you will be surprised how quickly you will settle on the pump. It's very easy to get used to having it attached I clip mine on the middle of my bra and no one ever knows it's there!
My hospital don't offer omnipod to adults I don't think.
I went to a lecture about pumps a while back and surprisingly even tho they mess up your blood sugars for a little while, they have had much improved pregnancy outcomes for people on pumps EVEN when put on in pregnancy (this surprised me given that mine went a bit crazy for the first few weeks!). Good luck whatever you decide to do!

Sarahkylie7

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for your replies. I think my diabetes centre do offer the omnipod for adults as I mentioned to the diabetes nurse when we came in that I liked it and they have already offered one to my mum. I just didnt like the feeling of the wires so thought that one may suit me better. it was awful when I given jt last time because it stresses me out so much! That's why I would rather be confident with it before trying for another child. thank you all x x x

Reactions: 2 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Good luck. I hope you get a pump that suits you and that you adapt to it well.

Give it time. Luckily, my doses were sorted very quickly, but it did take me a little while to feel at home with my pump. Now I don't even notice it.