day one - newcastle diet

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Stick with this forum Helen, and don't be deterred by your doctor. After all he isn't the one feeling bad. You are on a lot of medication which obviously isn't doing its job. You have nothing to lose but to feel better. If he won't support you, is there another Gp you can see? Don't feel brow beaten . Listen to what Jason Fung has to say it makes a lot of sense.

Reactions: 4 people

helenjones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you, my husband and daughter have said the same, so I will carry on on my own, feel so very down at the moment and struggling badly even after all these years of diagnosis. I don't think I want to go through that conversation with another doctor in a hurry left the place an emotional wreck my poor hubby didn't know what to do with me. I will Defo be sticking with you guys if you don't mind. it really is appreciated as I have no diabetes in my family and don't even know any other diabetics!!

helenjones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Reactions: 2 people

trotskyite

Well as I suspected, been to see doc who has told me to stop this 'ridiculous' diet straight away as it's dangerous! now is busy arranging a hundred different appointments witch dietician, nurses etc just the thing that pushed me to this diet in the first place- sick of going to appointment after appointment! another day of tears
Here is info for your gp from newcastle university
http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/documents/Informationfordoctors_revised_April14.pdf
b) Insulin. At the time of commencement of decreasing food intake, insulin dose in type 2 diabetes may be substantially decreased, and advice to cut insulin dose by approximately 50% is appropriate. Monitoring of blood glucose must be done daily with a plan to contact appropriate healthcare professional if blood glucose levels become very high (fasting over 10mmol per litre) or very low. It may be anticipated that insulin may be withdrawn after approximately two weeks but this depends upon blood glucose response.

If I were you I would agree a diet plan with dietitian trying to have 1000-1200kcal/day. Then if you lose 1kg/week you can stop and reassess once you've got into normal range bmi/ 80cm waist.

mitch69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi helenjones,

I have been diabetic for just about seven and a half years and have only really accepted that I have got it in the last 6 months or so. My hba1c was 99 in September last year - another rise in medication which I really didn't want but at least I was taking it then - I had spent years not taking it as I didn't have a problem did I? I wasn't unwell etc despite my knowing that it is future problems that I was storing up trouble for! In January I decided to tackle it head on (not sure what made me feel so determined lol) and I have changed my diet and in last 6 weeks have joined the gym. However it hasn't been without its down sides - I have had loads of hypos and knocked myself out with one!! Please be careful with a strict new regime and have medical advice on side. I do understand how low you can feel - it's never to late to change things and reduce risk of further complications :) you can do this - my hba1c in March was 54 and I feel so much better in myself - more energy and mood is much better (my husband may not agree with that lol). It's a cliche I know but I want to be in control (as much as I can be) and sometimes no matter what you do if your body isn't working properly there isn't much you can do but acknowledge it and take the medications. I have had run ins with my GP for being a non compliant patient but they have no idea how difficult it can be to live with everyday and have to think about what you are putting in your mouth all the time! I am a nurse and so know how important it is but I am also a person and have feelings and struggle with things the same a everyone else. I have every confidence that you can make changes if you need to and deal with it - hope some of this has helped you - good luck!! Let us know how you are getting on :) and brilliant you have a supportive family - I too am lucky and it makes all the difference x

helenjones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Stick with this forum Helen, and don't be deterred by your doctor. After all he isn't the one feeling bad. You are on a lot of medication which obviously isn't doing its job. You have nothing to lose but to feel better. If he won't support you, is there another Gp you can see? Don't feel brow beaten . Listen to what Jason Fung has to say it makes a lot of sense.

I have just started week 3, I have been using exante shakes etc, 3 a day and a salad at night, I sometimes swap a shake for some egg or chicken and salad, I just want to give myself the best possible chance of making a difference to my health. all advice gratefully received!

Last edited by a moderator:

helenjones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi helenjones,

I have been diabetic for just about seven and a half years and have only really accepted that I have got it in the last 6 months or so. My hba1c was 99 in September last year - another rise in medication which I really didn't want but at least I was taking it then - I had spent years not taking it as I didn't have a problem did I? I wasn't unwell etc despite my knowing that it is future problems that I was storing up trouble for! In January I decided to tackle it head on (not sure what made me feel so determined lol) and I have changed my diet and in last 6 weeks have joined the gym. However it hasn't been without its down sides - I have had loads of hypos and knocked myself out with one!! Please be careful with a strict new regime and have medical advice on side. I do understand how low you can feel - it's never to late to change things and reduce risk of further complications :) you can do this - my hba1c in March was 54 and I feel so much better in myself - more energy and mood is much better (my husband may not agree with that lol). It's a cliche I know but I want to be in control (as much as I can be) and sometimes no matter what you do if your body isn't working properly there isn't much you can do but acknowledge it and take the medications. I have had run ins with my GP for being a non compliant patient but they have no idea how difficult it can be to live with everyday and have to think about what you are putting in your mouth all the time! I am a nurse and so know how important it is but I am also a person and have feelings and struggle with things the same a everyone else. I have every confidence that you can make changes if you need to and deal with it - hope some of this has helped you - good luck!! Let us know how you are getting on :) and brilliant you have a supportive family - I too am lucky and it makes all the difference x

thank you for this it was like u read my mind!!

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Helen

We are all here to help each other out, did you not get a yes from your gp?
I am one doing without his consent as he believes it's useless to do it but I was only on 2 X 500 metformin and 1 statin which I stopped taking before I started my nd. I know it's not advisable but sometime you gotta take control as it's your life, health and family at risk. I am now into 8th week and looking forward to finishing it and have a DN review coming up too where things will get a bit more clearer. I would advise if possible to get gp on your side.

trotskyite

Thank you @trotskyite I have just started week 3, I have been using exante shakes etc, 3 a day and a salad at night, I sometimes swap a shake for some egg or chicken and salad, I just want to give myself the best possible chance of making a difference to my health. all advice gratefully recieved!
And how much weight have you lost if you know?

mitch69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done you - that's fab!! Not much less than me since January!! How are your blood sugars alongside this?

trotskyite

So far 11 pounds
That's great.Was your gp not impressed with that at all in any way? In 6 weeks if your'e off insulin he will be happy though. You need to find out if he's not happy because he thinks it's a quack diet or not happy as he thinks it's dangerous as you are on multiple meds? If it's the former he doesn't know what he's talking about and the latter, the page from newcastle uni will inform him it is safe if you are monitored.

helenjones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Nope apparently not supposed to lose weight so fast, wish I hadn't said anything now!!

helenjones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
ok - reduced lantus last night to 20u, FBG 5.6 - Day 17

Last edited by a moderator:

skipworth

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Helen, as long as you are carefully monitoring your BG levels then reducing your insulin isn't as big a problem as you think. I was on 40 units Levermir and approx 45 units of novarapid daily, which I have now reduced to zero. I took the decision to go the whole way in order to assess if my body was going into recovery and not masked by continuing medication, as I was concerned that I was just increasing my insulin levels in order to maintain my current levels. I am now on week 5 and have lost 16lbs and my BG after meals goes up to 8-9, so I haven't conquered it yet but I stll hope. I do now occassionally have 2 units of novarapid in the morning if my morning BG seems a little high, in order to keep it on track, but this is still a lot better than the 90 units I was on before.
I haven't run this past my doctor, and I know that may sound a little risky, but I am monitoring my BG before and after every meal so if I think I do need some insulin I am able to react and keep it safe. I am finding that it takes approx 3 hours for my BG to respond and return to 'normal' levels, and that is on a Low cal/carb diet, so what it would do if I had normal carbs I don't yet know. I may be asking my body to handle more than it can cope with in the short term, but I am hoping that long term benefits will out weigh it.
Stick with it and carefully monitor your situation and you will get there. I have yet to meet a dietician that would agree with this diet and they are medically trained, but constrained by NICE guidelines.
The point about the ND is that you do lose weight fast to shock your system into recovery, or at least that is my understanding, but even then this diet does not work for everybody, so I take the pragmnatic view that even if it doesn't totally work on the diabetes it is better for me to have lost the weight and potentially reduced my dependancy on higher medication levels.
Good luck

Reactions: 6 people

helenjones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
thank you skipworth, that was my mistake talking to the doctor about it, totally against it and I am now getting phone calls daily from nurse, dietitian etc. and it is really stressful. I have had a couple of blips the last few days because of this, but I'm going to keep going. I will post some results soon if any but you are right if losing weight is all I get from this it's still a positive. thank you so much for your support and let me know how you are getting on too