Advice Please

Laura171

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

A few days ago I became really unwell, terrible headache, temperature, fuzzy feeling in my head that got worsean hour or so after eating, needing to go to the toilet, very thirsty etc. I went to the doctors as I also had a cough and she was having trouble putting the two together. I have had checks for diabetis recently and my risk factor was low and nothing to worry about. I was curious though and decided to check my blood glucose pre/post meal and I am getting 8+ before a meal and 13.5 after a meal as well as ketones in my water. any ideas?

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi Laura171 and welcome to the forum.

Although we cannot diagnose you those symptoms could be indicative of diabetes.

Thought about going back to the doctor?

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Change your doctor, your thirst and BG readings most probably indicate diabetes.

Google "Blood sugar 101" its all there , a wealth of information.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I agree go back to your doctor, it certainly seems like it could be diabetes so it's best to check. Are you on any medication that could cause the cough, blood pressure meds maybe?

Reactions: 2 people

JAY1JAY1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
I'm newly diagnosed with type 2 I had the same symptoms but no way of checking my blood, I'd had a very bad chest for months in the end my doc said he'd do some tests, so I think I'd go back to the docs tell him your concerns and ask if he would check again just to be sure I think he will agree best of luck JJ

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. When you did the post-meal test how long after the meal was it taken? Normally it would be around 2 hours.

Laura171

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I tested just before my meal and two hours after. I am showing ketones all the time.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I tested just before my meal and two hours after. I am showing ketones all the time.

Ketones are not good Laura, you should tell your GP this, (without delay).

Laura171

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for the advice, I have limited carbs and sugars for now just to try and get the symptoms under control and will see my GP in the morning x

Emily2369

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
if I were you I'd go back to the docs that doesn't sound right, take it from me I was misdiagnosed the first time..this was after they were told the symptoms! I was very slim and no sighn of it in the family at all,by the time I went back for second go i was 4 stone in weight and on deaths door! Literally apple tango kept me alive..you don't to go through all that! To mention I was in intensive care also! Doctors can be wrong but also right but not always..if you want deal with it quickly I find if you call docs and request a call back they will see you sooner if they think your at threat! Make sure you tell them your sugar is reaching 13s too that's defo not normal

Reactions: 4 people

Laura171

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you Emily, my doctors are pretty good and follow up if I think there is something wrong. I have kept a food diary and pre/post meal readings. I have cut out carbs and that has brought my blood sugars right down and I am going to take all that info with me x

vinylandtrinkets

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
when i was diagnosed at the end of march my symptoms where the exact same as yours, bs 29.6 sky high ketones, thursty , weeing, weight loss, i am lucky my GP is brilliant and was on meds straight away, had to monitor my ketones for a few days more then my sugar really , if it hadnt started to drop i would have been in hospital. go back to your GP and ask them to test you hun, im type 2