Honeymoon and illness

nicolaryan09

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hes only had chocolate once and hes fine by tea but on the night hes high. Maybe the fat content?

Ok..so with breakfast he had 1.5 shredded wheat. He had 0.5 units. He was 5.8. 2hrs later hes 16. So should i not let him have these anymore?? Because they are 1 of the few things that keep him going 4hours when its a school day. I will be stuck if i stop him having them. Corn flakes etc are no good he hypos by 10am at school. Wheetabix keep him going but again they knock him up more than 4. Porridge doesnt keep him going either. Its frustrating. I feel like its even worse now he cant have anything. I dont really want him on a high fat low carb diet. Hes very active i dont want him losing weight and im struggeling to believe that this would be good for him :/ its such a hard decision. Also, with him being small..i cant force him to eat something he doesnt want. So if he wants a extra slice of bread i cant say no you are on a low carb diet haha. Im going to speak to my nurse about this because they have never told me they can only go up 4 2hrs after their meal. I injected before he ate aswel.

I havent had a chance to look at much of the book yet no but i will.

I dont like Ryan having Aspartame at all. But its in alsorts so it cuts what he can eat down even further.

Yeahh i always thought i was yorkshire pudding that made Ryan sky rocket but now im thinking maybe its because the juices from the meat are put in the gravy. I put him to bed last night on 14.5. He just had some scramby egg to fill him because he was starving.

He was just really upset he had to check him blood sugar but i have managed to cheer him up by saying i will enter him into a race to raise money. Hes soo excited now. Bless him xxx

Reactions: 2 people

nicolaryan09

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
..another question..

If 2 items are both 30g of carbs...but one is 10g of which sugars and one is 20g of which sugars...the one that has 20g of which sugars is going to spike him higher inbetween meals surely?? So how does carb counting even ever work if you only look at the carb value and the sugar isnt taking into consideration at all? Arghhh haha its going to be one of those days!! :( :( :( im going to take him out somewhere with his little cousin and try forget for an hour xxx

Gemmablower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
the breakfast spike in my experience is the worst due to hormones in the morning so don't feel like you have to eliminate the breakfast if you gave him that for lunch not that you would! but find the spike is no wear near like the breakfast one but what you could try (after speaking with nurse) is injecting 15minutes before breakfast if having cereal to try and curb the spike. This is exactly what I'm looking at now, today Zara was in range before lunch 7pre breakfast and 8pre lunch but spiked to 18 between. When she's wearing the libre I can see the insulin is not kicking in untill an hour after breakfast and in the meantime she is rocketing up. So ask your nurse about timing the injection to control the spike and see if she can help with this. Doing the same and hoping it works just need to speak to my nurse.
Of which sugars confuses me a bit but yes I think that something that has more of them would cause a spike in glucose but everyone is different and can tolerate one thing that another can't. . I know I can give Zara a snack of 10g of fruit or 5g of cheddars and she will be higher off cheddars.

Yes I know what you mean about chocolate it does seem to be slow with the fat and could have a little effect later on.
Take it easy today though and enjoy the day and when not feeling so overwhelmed then deal with it. Xxx

nicolaryan09

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Today has been a bad day..

He was high all last night but woke in normal range this morning (5.0) he had his usual breakfast and 0.5 units. Went to school and the school rang me at dinner concerned his blood sugar was 14. I knew this was going to happen from the last few days. I rang my nurse up a height and she came straight out to my house. We have decided to change Ryans levemir to a morning to see if that helps. I got everything off my chest i needed to and she assures me im doing well but i just dont feel it. She said if they start telling us to take fats and proteins into consideration aswel its going to get very complicated. I really dont mind doing a little sum if it means we have better control.

He came out of school on 17.5 :( xx

Gemmablower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know how u feel. Had the same conversation today. She told me to inject 10 mins b4 breakfast and see as this is where she spikes.
I think handling fatty foods etc is where a pump would be handy but still I'm not there yet.
Zara got another cough and after a perfect day of numbers she is 21 tonight with 0.8 keytones. Called hospital about correcting her so waiting to check in 2 hours to see if they are in the safe zone if not then going to have to correct her which I am worried about but will have to keep a close eye on her over night. Poor girl :-( xxx

nicolaryan09

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Awww bless her! :( so have you corrected her then waitig to see if you need to correct her again? Are you letting her go to bed and just waking her up if she needs correcting? It makes them being poorly and a worrying time 10 times worse doesnt it :(

I hope she feeks better and is ok during the night and those awful ketones go away xxx

Gemmablower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's ok pheww! So according to the table in that diabetes book, you correct but at night I am a bit hesitant of doing this as I know she drops.
So I woke Zara up and made her drink poor little girl was out of it.
Then called hospital and asked for advice, they deal with keytones the same way as that chart in the book so said to correct which I thought they might but she said as 0.8 wasn't an immediate risk then understand that you want to wait 2 hours to correct if they haven't come into safe zone after having her fluids or if the sugar is rising.
So luckily 2 hours later they have come down to 0.3 and she has dropped to 15mmol and steadily coming down on her libre so I don't need to correct.
Will have to keep an eye tomorrow. She had a much better day today aswell of numbers 7/9/7 finally seeing a difference and then 21 at night! Didn't check her keytones in the day as she was in range but I'm going to keep an eye on them Nasty things tomorrow they can creep up on you when they are poorly.
Yes it really does make you worry more than ever about being poorly.

So that's good your nurse was straight round. hope the morning dose helps, makes sense.
Yes fats and proteins are a whole different ball game by the sounds of it, with pumps people can extend there bolus to cover fatty foods or change there basal rate for different times of the day and I see how this is better control but still Zara wouldn't have a pump attached to her right now.
Well done for finding me on fb! Nice to put a face to the name. Your babies are beautiful.
Let's hope for a better day tomorrow. Xxx

nicolaryan09

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeahh from your description you were easy to spot haha. Aww thank you..i agree but i an bias haha. Zara is a cutie pie she has lush big brown eyes!

Im so pleased she came down. It can be such a worrying time. How is she today cough wise and numbers wise?

Weve had a confusing day..

He woke 7.8 (high for him but it will be because we are messing with his Levemir) had half a unit with his ready brek...school che cked him at 10am as he wanted fruit and he was 15.4 so they didnt let him have any. He was 6.0 by 11.40am? They wrote in his diary they checked him at 3pm and he was 6.0. Bt 4pm before tea he dropped to 3.7...

He had his dexy tablets and his tea with 55g of carbs..last night he had 50g with 1.5units and was still high. I rang the diabetes nurse for advice and she said go with 1.5units again. So i did and an hour later he dropped to 3.6. So iv treat his hypo again and im going to keep a close eye on him. I think i wil give him a decent supper to stop him dropping again but it might bite me in the bum with his levemir dose being messed about with.

Im wondering if his requirement shoots up rapidly when its school holidays..xxx

Gemmablower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The basal messes with things for about a week unfortunately. I found it took this long for things to settle with Zara and when I changed it from night to morning.
So just sit it out for a while and it will calm down.
Those numbers are pretty flat though no major fluctuations ignoring breakfast spike for the moment.
I find consistency is key to any kind of predictability (if you can call it that) when seeing how ratios are working.
So if he has a 5g snack in the morning then try sticking to it and adjust ratio around it once you see the pattern.

Zara's ok she's really quiet and tiered. I took her to the doctors as she has a cough that sounds like she is barking and was coughing all night and a day long and really coughing! Was really worried about her breathing. Doctor was nice he said he to had a son diagnosed when he was 4 years old who is now 12 so said he knows how hard it is, So was really re assuring talking to a doctor who also had a diabetic child I thought thank god he gets it!
He said a viral infection in her throat :(
Woke high this morn at 10mmol due to last nights high and illness. So bad start. She remained 10 at every reading so considering illness she's not been to bad. She had keytones of 0.3 before dinner and they are 0.4 at bed time so noting tk worry about just got to keep an eye still.

Some people have different ratios for weekdays and different for weekends. School/holidays. So you could be right about requirements but I wouldn't change anything till you see the pattern and the basal has settled.
Xxx

nicolaryan09

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well its a tough one...i see what you are saying and usually i would of said the same and let him have his banana if i was givig the snack..especially if he was at home. But i guessed if he was 15.4 a banana is going to knock him to 20 and i dont want him that high in school when im not there. They dont check for ketones when hes running high or anything. A bit out if range maybe but 17.5 for after school yesterday was just wayyy too high. As it happens...he came down to 6.0 today. So tomorrow i will tell them to let him have his snack again and see what hes like. I was very aware he didnt have much background cover today aswel because we had to reduce his levemir to 0.5 to start him a full unit in the morning again. School snack isnt the same every day. It isnt at the same time and it can be morning or afternoon. Some days its a banana...some a apple...some a satsuma. So i dont have a lot of control over that to add it into the equation anyway if that makes sense. So missing it doesnt really matter i dont think. Iv no idea if its 5g...10g..more? What hes going to have etc. But before now hes always been able to get away with any bit of fruit at any point over the day, because his morning dose was correct...he would run around and come down a bit and the fruit would often keep him up. I also wanted to see what effect the insulin was having on his meals without the snack. For example yesterday mornif he had 2 wheetabix with 0.5 and was 14.0 before dinner. But he had fruit. If he hadnt...i would of had a better idea if my units for the wheetabix were correct for a school day still. Maybe im doing it the wrong way :/ iv no idea. If i know hes 15 in the house i dont let him have a snack. I cant physically bring myself to let him eat it when i know hes already far to high :(

Awww im so pleased you seen a doctor that understood. A comfort for you that he knew what it was like to be sitting in your seat and not just his. Fingers crossed she feels better soon. And those ketones stay away! They frighten the life out of me.

Im going to Liverpool Saturday morning for my best friends hen doo and in starting to feel really worried about it already. Im worried about Ryan and to add to it i have never been away from Evelyn for a full day before :( i really dont want to go!! Ha but i know i have got to. Im sure they will be fine xxx

Gemmablower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I see what you mean about seeing what it does with out the snack and I know what you mean about feeding when you see a high at school.
A small bannana is quite a lot it's 16g but some days he needs this doesn't he.

Bannana 16g small
Small satsuma I think 5.
Small apple 100g is 10g
Pears same as apple so those snacks sizes vary so so will the effects.
Have you got carbs and cals app?

Will be good for you to get a break and A night out.

Zara's better than yesterday in herself but higher with the illness ranging 10-11 all day unfortunately. Xxx