Hba1c before pregnancy

Scarlet10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello :)

I have worked very hard to reduce my hba1c from 9.9 to today 7.4. Now i know thats still not great, but i am thinking of having my coil removed. Im 33 soon to be 34 and there is no knowing how long or if i will get pregnant. I intend to carry on working really hard to bring my control down. Have any of you lovely ladies tried or fallen pregnant with a hba1c around 7.4 and everything was ok with you and the baby. Im feeling very anxious and nervous. I love reading this section and i have been for several months.

Yuste

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey Scarlet,

I can't tell yet how baby will be once she's born but I got pregnant with 7.2 and so far so good. 36 weeks pregnant now. Soon after getting pregnant my HbA1c got down to 6.5 and last one was 5.3. The most important is to keep sugars at similar level. Doctors say babies don't like sugars going up and down.

Scarlet10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the reply. Nice to hear that your pregnancy has gone well and your health had been ok. Im scared after speaking to diabetic team several months ago. I love this forum as it real stories. Thanks for taking time to reply. Good luck with the rest of the pregnancy.

Yuste

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do not let them scare you. I'm 29 at the moment. It's my first baby and have diabetes type 1 since 1990. It's very important to trust your body and to keep positive. Our mind can do so much influence in every day life including pregnancy :) Hope I'll soon see your post about being pregnant :).

Scarlet10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Aw thanks for the PMA i have left it till now because i have always been worried but my age is ticking so it needs to be now. Many thanks keep us updated with the last few weeks of your pregnancy. I look forward to seeing your new bundle xx

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
First pregnancy my hba1c was around 9.6 (unplanned obvs) and baby was fine but I wouldn't want to go through that again. The second pregnancy it was around 7 again baby was fine. What wasn't fine was my eyes, due to the drastic drop in my first pregnancy I got retinopathy and got it again in my second pregnancy, so the advice is for your sake as much as the baby's but with a hba1c of 7.4 you should be fine

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
They seem to have stabilised for the time being - have been advised not to get pregnant again, luckily two is enough for us!

Scarlet10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Aw good that you have two children ;-) glad they are ok for now. Fingers crossed it remains like that.