One year on from more fat

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
What I like about his viewpoint is that a) he isn't selling anything (AFAIK) and b) his interest in the subject is driven by his own health concerns. He also seems to have the right connections.

However, I do feel like asking him what he thinks of the debate about what kind of fats to consume and if the concerns about Omega 6/3 and DHA ratios, etc. are real. I read in his blog that he not only limits carb consumption but the types of carbs but there is no mention I have seen so far about the types of fat he recommends.
Ask him on the blog?

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat salads 5/6 days a week.. Guess thats another thing to change! Eat more hot meals....:):):)
Only fry using coconut oil.
I looked at using coconut oil but it seemed to be v high in saturated fat so I 'wimped' out and stuck to olive oil and rapeseed oil (for deep fat frying).

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I looked at using coconut oil but it seemed to be v high in saturated fat so I 'wimped' out and stuck to olive oil and rapeseed oil (for deep fat frying).

Informed opinion is that saturated fats are not bad for us any more and coconut oil is mainly lauric acid which is a form of triglyceride that is easily burned as energy . However, coconut oil has hardly any beneficial fatty acids like EPA and DHA. It's also rather expensive.

mehhh2015

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Donellysdogs,

I will be very interested in seeing the changes that you diet brings to your numbers.

I agree with @AndBreathe that having the breakdown and testing before making changes would have been the best in terms of making informed decisions, but at the same time can relate to the feeling of not wanting to wait a bit longer.

I do very low carb, but my main source of fats are exactly those that you are new to (avocado, olives, feta cheese, olive oil) I hope you get used to them, I love them! I don't eat coconut oil. I do eat 2 tablespoons of flaxseed everyday though.

For other reasons I can't afford to go any higher with my cholesterol and I really need to bring it down somehow without statins (can't take statins).

I'm not expecting to see any improvements in my first review in april given how bad my numbers are cholesterol wise. But I don't do too much saturated fat right now but I'm overweight so I don't have the weight loss problem.

I understand you don't feel hungry at all, I don't feel that hungry either.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I can't take statins either...

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It was only early last year when I realised that I was a low carber or my life as I had thought I was just a moderate eater. I had previously put down chronic pains in my legs and hips due to statins and had tried every statin all with same pains that would start again.

So, when analysing My foods I realised that the majority of my fat only came from my copious coffees with semi skimmed milk.

I added more fat in to our diet and my hubby cut his carbs. I initially lost 10lb that I didn't need to lose and my hubby has lost 3stone last year with a stone previous year by just doing more exercise.

First 6 months my cholesterol stayed the same. Hubbys went down. Including the breakdown of all- everything was improved for hubby. Mine, no different.

One year on both our cholesterols have shot up. Now I haven't got a clue what to do.

For the last year we ate more eggs..we had more fish (i never ate fish before), we had cheese (not everyday but between 5-7 thin slices if we wanted to) and a creamy coffee every night and full fat milk and coconut oil.
Our dinners are always salad or veg and rarely puddings. We don't eat potatoes, pasta or rice. We don't have bread..(me never)

I thought hubbys had raised last week when he got his results back because he'd had a few sandwichs at work from mid Dec til now.

Then yesterday I got my results. They stupidly only tested total and triglicerides on mine. My trig results gone from 0.4 to 0.9 though.. And my total gone from 5.1 right up to 6.5. I have never had any readings in the 6's ever....

My leg pains have gone and my body myscle tone especially my legs are brilliant. I'm size 8/10 and hubby is a waist 32 and 12 1/2 stone max.
He was also taking my statins that I couldn't take.

His levels are now chronic...wheras before he came just in the normal range with breakdown of the cholesterols. His trigs have gone up, his ldl and hdl both gone in the wrong direction.

Any thoughts please as now I just do not know what to do besides ditching the fat...(we never did low fat anyway) just had butter and semiskimmed milk.

After hubbies weightloss I really don't want him putting weight back on from feeling hungry..and going back to his horrible weight. The extra fat does seem to have contributed thought to both of us getting hugely increased bad cholesterol..

Are we both just unlucky that we both can't tolerate more fat? It just seems that its odd.

Any advice welcome...

Hi @donnellysdogs , What news with your cholesterol and your non-sat-fat regime? I too tried to swap out some of the sat fat I was eating for non-sat, and laid off the butter coffee, for the same reasons.

Result:

Total cholesterol 7.7 Jan, 5.9 now.
HDL 2.6 Jan, 2.4 now.
LDL4.7 Jan, 3.3 now.
Trigs 0.8 Jan, 0.6 now
Trigs/HDL 0.3 Jan, 0.25 now.

I'm still thinking about what Peter Attia said here about LCHF, being in ketosis, and saturated versus other (eg olive oil) fat. All the following is a quote from him:

"some readers may interpret the data I present to mean it’s perfectly safe to consume, say, 25% (or more) of total calories from SFA [saturated fats]. I realize I may have to turn in my keto-club card, but I am convinced that a subset of the population—I don’t know how large or small, because my “N” is too small—are not better served by mainlining SFA, even in the complete absence of carbohydrates (i.e., nutritional ketosis). Let me repeat this point: I have seen enough patients whose biomarkers go to hell in a hand basket when they ingest very high amounts of SFA. This leads me to believe some people are not genetically equipped to thrive in prolonged nutritional ketosis.​

In one particularly interesting case, a patient in self-prescribed nutritional ketosis presented to me with an LDL-P of more than 3500 nmol/L (i.e., more particles than could be measured by the NMR machine so the report simply said “>3,500 nmol/L”) despite feeling, performing, and looking great. Based on his through-the-roof desmosterol and cholanstanol levels, and a curb-side consult from the Godfather I mean Dr. Tom Dayspring, I decided to try an experiment. You see, the logical thing to do in this setting would have been to start two drugs immediately (a potent statin to address the hypersynthesis and ezetimibe to address the hyperabsorption) or tell him to abandon ketosis altogether. But this patient was adamant about staying in ketosis given the other benefits, though obviously worried about the long-term coronary implications. So, we agreed that for a 3 month trial period he would reduce SFA to an average of 25 g/day (vs. about 75 to 100 g/day) and make up the difference with monounsaturated fat (MUFA). Parenthetically, we also reduced his omega-3 PUFA given very high RBC EPA and DHA levels.​

So, on balance, he consumed about the same number of calories and even total quantity of fat, but his distribution of fat intake changed and he heavily swapped out SFA for MUFA.​

The result?

His LDL-P fell from >3,500 nmol/L to about 1,300 nmol/L (about 55th percentile), and his CRP fell from 2.9 mg/L to <0.3 mg/L (and for the lipoprotein cognoscenti, both desmosterol and cholanstanol fell).

Pretty cool, huh? So, my point is this: while I believe the population-based guidelines for SFA are not supported by a standard of science I consider acceptable, it does not imply I believe SFA is uniformly safe at all levels for all individuals.

Some of you may be wondering about me. It turns out I’m in the group (recall: I have no idea how large or small this group is) that seems to do well—at least by the tools we have available to assess risk—with large amounts of SFA in my diet, if and when I elect to. Even when I was in ketosis, eating 4,000 kcal/day (literally getting 40 to 45% of my calories from SFA alone) my biomarkers—cardiovascular, insulin resistance, inflammation—were excellent. Better than they ever were or even are today. Though, my point still stands: there are some people who do not appear able to safely consume massive amounts of SFA.

One last point I’ll make on this highly charged topic. I realize there is a contingent within the LCHF community who argue that traditional biomarkers of coronary risk—such as LDL-C or its superior cousin LDL-P—“don’t matter” if one is on a low carb or ketogenic diet. Maybe they are right. I guess time will tell. But I am not convinced, at least not yet. As a doctor I can’t look a patient in the eye and tell them a sky-high LDL-P is ok because they don’t eat carbohydrates. So if you’re following such a diet, and your LDL-P goes through the roof, I’d urge you to consider a variation of the diet."​

Lucy

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Yes I got my results which have definitely improved.

Total 5.4
Trigs back to 0.6
Hdl up to 2.1 (target for our labs is 0.9 to 1.6
ldl 2.9

Interestingly since last year (pre extra dairy and saturated fats) my B12 now continues to plummet again. Target 180-914. Last year it was 1596!! 3 months ago I think it was down to about 750 and is now 470mg, although thankfully dropping, I do not want it to keep dropping again.
They also did my vit D, which came in at 250H (normal), but I do work outdoors all day and also take high vit D supplements as well.

I believe I am better on MUFA. Have got form for hubby by he has to be pushed and pushed and pushed to go and get the tests done.. Men!!!!
Many thanks @LucySW
(I am actually really loving the avocados and olives much more than the cream and dairy-lol. Can't believe that I hated them for 50 years!!

Reactions: 2 people

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I got my results which have definitely improved.

Total 5.4
Trigs back to 0.6
Hdl up to 2.1 (target for our labs is 0.9 to 1.6
ldl 2.9

Interestingly since last year (pre extra dairy and saturated fats) my B12 now continues to plummet again. Target 180-914. Last year it was 1596!! 3 months ago I think it was down to about 750 and is now 470mg, although thankfully dropping, I do not want it to keep dropping again.
They also did my vit D, which came in at 250H (normal), but I do work outdoors all day and also take high vit D supplements as well.

I believe I am better on MUFA. Have got form for hubby by he has to be pushed and pushed and pushed to go and get the tests done.. Men!!!!
Many thanks @LucySW
(I am actually really loving the avocados and olives much more than the cream and dairy-lol. Can't believe that I hated them for 50 years!!
Good to hear @donnellysdogs, so how many avocados are you munching through?
Hj

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
A whole one a day!! Thats a lit for me!! And 6 olives! Considering I started off having a 1/4 avocado and 2 olives This is considered by me now to be alot! I also have lashings of the best virgin oil with wine vinegar, small manuka honey, mustard and garlic and dried mediteranean herbs. Salmon once or twice a week. Cod, plaice or haddock for 2/3 nights and a fillet steak with veg or belly pork once a week.
Hubby got tinned mackeral out last night- but threw it away cos he thought it was now disgusting!! We ate cod instead but tonight I tried this yellow fish (don't know breed) for first time as it was suggested here. Now this is going to be on the menu instead of white fish so often.
Am getting ysed to foods now that I thought I hated by just eating small tasters to start with.
Have also ditched today a lit of the coffees I drank.. Changed to water flavoured overnight with cucumber, apple, lime and lemon. Again I will have to get used to the taste but I must reduce my caffeine intake which was truly horrendous.

I like these results. I am intolerant to statins and will not take them so am glad to see the reduction in total cholesterol despite not having the breakdown when it went above 6.0.

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do remember that cod, plaice and haddock (white fish) aren't as good as salmon or other oily fish (mackerel, sardines, pilchards, etc.) for Omega 3. A 'yellow' fish might be dyed smoked haddock. Prawns are a good source of Omega 3.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
A whole one a day!! Thats a lit for me!! And 6 olives! Considering I started off having a 1/4 avocado and 2 olives This is considered by me now to be alot! I also have lashings of the best virgin oil with wine vinegar, small manuka honey, mustard and garlic and dried mediteranean herbs. Salmon once or twice a week. Cod, plaice or haddock for 2/3 nights and a fillet steak with veg or belly pork once a week.
Hubby got tinned mackeral out last night- but threw it away cos he thought it was now disgusting!! We ate cod instead but tonight I tried this yellow fish (don't know breed) for first time as it was suggested here. Now this is going to be on the menu instead of white fish so often.
Am getting ysed to foods now that I thought I hated by just eating small tasters to start with.
Have also ditched today a lit of the coffees I drank.. Changed to water flavoured overnight with cucumber, apple, lime and lemon. Again I will have to get used to the taste but I must reduce my caffeine intake which was truly horrendous.

I like these results. I am intolerant to statins and will not take them so am glad to see the reduction in total cholesterol despite not having the breakdown when it went above 6.0.
Sounding very like my grazing habits, sardines are becoming big with me, lots of fat and not so much sat.
White Fish is generally better than red meat so for evening meals I would think ideal.
Avocado's: they do seem to sell ready to eat now a days, in the past I was never sure how long to leave them... and wasted a lot as a result.
Chia seed coffee cocoa nut breakfast is now routine and have to stop myself loading up on it.... and it does not need any sweetener.
Coffee: I have one cup a day of really really good stuff strong and black.

Saw the eye man yesterday: all was good.... scared the **** out of me showing pictures on Google of when things go bad....

Off to see Doc tomorrow to discuss high cholesterol's.... and other issues, cramps, tinnitus...

End of general update/rambling.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Your chia/coffee/cocoa nut breakfast sounds nice.. How do you make that up? What quantities?

Have you got a stable weight eating your foods?

I'm going to try the fresh mackeral etc instead of the tinned ones to make a change.

One noticeable thing for me is my blood pressure though. That has plummeted. It is now regularly 100/62 and no longer at 130-140..the difference may not be the food though. I know the last time I saw my consultant it was 160 over something.. Probably due to less stress now but is certainly low again.

Sometimes I just think I'm a human guinea pig to myself!!

The eye test is a worry. Eyesight is so important and impacts on life so much when it deteriotes.

Hope your discussions with your doc go smoothly...

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wonder sometimes if the whole BP thing is connected to how well our diet suits us.

My BP (which is never high) goes to the lower end of its range whenever I'm eating a diet that really suits me. I'm not pretending that MY diet suits everyone. But maybe, if everyone was eating a diet that suited THEM, it would have a beneficial effect on their BP.

That is, of course, pure speculation, because I don't see any way to test the theory, except on a person by person basis.

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Low-carbing can require an increase in salt and that in turn might be impacting on blood pressure?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Low-carbing can require an increase in salt and that in turn might be impacting on blood pressure?
don't think so. I keep track of salt intake, and supplement, drink broth, and know to a hair how much I need, because I get cramps at night if I drop too low (been low carbing for several years now).

I was actually thinking more about coffee, wheat intake and other 'intolerances' that people have.

My BP always rises directly in proportion to the amount of grains I eat, and I know I have an intolerance to some, if not all of them - wheat in particular.

Reactions: 5 people

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Your chia/coffee/cocoa nut breakfast sounds nice.. How do you make that up? What quantities?

Have you got a stable weight eating your foods?

I'm going to try the fresh mackeral etc instead of the tinned ones to make a change.

One noticeable thing for me is my blood pressure though. That has plummeted. It is now regularly 100/62 and no longer at 130-140..the difference may not be the food though. I know the last time I saw my consultant it was 160 over something.. Probably due to less stress now but is certainly low again.

Sometimes I just think I'm a human guinea pig to myself!!

The eye test is a worry. Eyesight is so important and impacts on life so much when it deteriotes.

Hope your discussions with your doc go smoothly...
Trail and error:
20 grams coffee beans, ground fine and used to filter 500 mls, allow to cool.
Mix 50 g chia seeds, 20 g cocoa, 50g unsweetened peanut butter and blend in cool coffee, mix well and add coffee in stages.
Fridge overnight,
5 servings of about 125 g, to which I add 30 g nuts and some pomegranates.

Fresh Mackerel is lovely stuff, smoked is not too bad either.

BP: mine is better, my whole health thing kicked off with Sunday nights arrhythmia... blood tests.... high glucose.... arrghhh...

Pip pip
Hj

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
@donnellysdogs
I started reading then realised this thread started a long time ago.

However, one thing that struck me was that hubby had increased cholesterol after taking your statins.

Your response was "Oh dear, it would be even worse if he wasn't taking the statins".
My first response would have been to look at all the things which had changed INCLUDING starting taking statins, and would have considered stopping the statins just to be sure this wasn't having an unexpected effect.

Just a side note - I don't have time to read through all the thread today.

From the last page it looks as though you are doing well, which is good.:)
I'll come back and read more when I have time - I am LCHF(ish) and my total cholesterol has gone up but my ratios seem to be fine.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
@donnellysdogs
I started reading then realised this thread started a long time ago.

However, one thing that struck me was that hubby had increased cholesterol after taking your statins.

Your response was "Oh dear, it would be even worse if he wasn't taking the statins".
My first response would have been to look at all the things which had changed INCLUDING starting taking statins, and would have considered stopping the statins just to be sure this wasn't having an unexpected effect.

Just a side note - I don't have time to read through all the thread today.

From the last page it looks as though you are doing well, which is good.:)
I'll come back and read more when I have time - I am LCHF(ish) and my total cholesterol has gone up but my ratios seem to be fine.

Hubbys levels have always been borderline high. He started to take statins that I could not tolerate but not on a daily basis as I didn't have that many. Sometimes he would pop one ir two a week and they were only 10mg.

This was done because when spealing to a research consultant in QE2 hospital and he was talking to me about cholesterol. The consultant advised me that one atorvastatin once a week was better than ezemtibe daily. So hubby tried that.(i had also tried Ezemtibe but again had intolerance to that as well). So he was not taking them on a regular basis but his cholesterol despite taking the infrequent statins went up. We told GP that hubby had taken my tablets irregularly and thats why he got put straight on to 40mg atoravastatins.
This is why though that I actually see the extra sat fats n dairy not working for hubby because the levels would probably have gone up even higher in the wrong proportions for him.

I am trying to get him to get tests done sooner rather than later but being a man he is reticent at getting these done. He always concerns himself for me rather than himself.(bless him for being so lovely).

Incidentally to make you laugh.... This morn I chucked out a pair of size 10 jeans that are too baggy for me. He was meant to out them in the bin.
Needless to say he took them and 5 mins later saw me and said "does my bum look bug in these?". He had actually gone and put them on and they looked fantadtic on him!!! Lol!! He was a hefty 36" waist (and excess over the waistband) and now fits my size 10 jeans!! His bum looked gorgeous and they fitted him better than his male jeans!!! Pity they were 3" too short though! Don't think he wears my mini skirts or skorts though!!

Will ask him again now before he goes to work about his blood tests!!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Just asked him " when you going to get these blood tests done"- his response "don't know, don't know"!!!!