So Confused !

xayuk

I have been diagnosed as a diabetic about two years ago and am still struggling to try to control my diabetes with diet as I am trying not to take any medicine. I must say that I am not following the rules as sometimes I even have chocolate which I know is very bad! Today the problem is that in the morning when I woke up my glucose was 9. Ii only had a glass of carbonated water with some lemon and when i tested again after an hour it was 10. I really do not know what is happening as I thought that after an hour with only a glass of water my sugar levels were supposed to go down not up! Has anybody gone through this? I am so confused.

Reactions: 2 people

rahul991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
hate eating food with better taste.
It not a big deal. just stay calm and compose.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Hi welcome.

Possibly your liver is producing glucose because you didn't have any breakfast.

What diet are you following to control your T2?

xayuk

Hi thank you all for your answers. @sanguine I am trying to follow a low carb diet, which is extremely difficult as I was used to eating lots of pasta ,potatoes,bread,rice(mediterranean diet). I have also cut down on sugar and sugary foods

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
That's good @xayuk but in the end it's food you like vs long term health prospects. No brainer.

If it's any consolation once you've stopped eating those things for a while you find you don't want them any more. It's an addiction.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been diagnosed as a diabetic about two years ago and am still struggling to try to control my diabetes with diet as I am trying not to take any medicine.
Me too, hello and welcome. Your readings aren't too bad, but you can improve them. Do you need to lose weight too? If so I will let other advise, since I am skinny.
But you've definitely come to the right place.

xayuk

Yes i need to loose a lot of weight and that is a big problem as till now i did not manage to control the portions of food I eat and that is surely something i must try to do.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm longing to say don't worry, it's what you eat and not how much that determines your weight, but I must keep schtum!

xayuk

I'm longing to say don't worry, it's what you eat and not how much that determines your weight, but I must keep schtum!

Yes I surely agree with you as the right choice of food is of utmost importance. What I do sometimes is that if I get a portion of pasta for example, I am not able to get a small portion because I only eat snacks during the day,as I am so busy , that i end up so hungry in the evening that I eat a lot. I know It is time to change my lifestyle and I should eat more often during the day.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, it's so tempting and after all only what "they" tell us is right. However if you browse the forum (the "what have you eaten today" threads for instance, or "what can I have for breakfast when I'm in a hurry?") you'll see how people manage to change their diet in all kinds of circumstances.
NB not all chocolate is bad for some of us. I just got some Lindt 90%. Bitter but so sophisticated, I like to think :D

Reactions: 4 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cheese and brazil nuts (or almonds) are good snacks during the day.

Phlogiston

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, ofsted inspectors, uninvited phonecalls
Hi Xayuk,
Sounds like you had a "liver dump".
I have found that reducing the carbs enabled easy weight loss.
Long working days followed by a single main meal are not a good way to go, but sometimes unavoidable.
My suggestion would be: egg based breakfast accompanied by mushroom, tomato or bacon.
Try and get something bulky for lunch - coleslaw, fish, salad, cheese, cold meat. John West and other companies do handy little pots of fish with salad. Holland and Barrett sell a vegetarian high protein "sausage" called pepperoni that is quite good for a bit of heft in the stomach.

Pasta has a high glycaemic load - I try to avoid it. You could try replacing it with buckwheat noodles to delay but not reduce your glucose spike..
When you join the diabetic club your notions of eating have to undergo a paradigm shift.

Good luck, best wishes

Adam

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. You can have chocolate but it needs to be the 85% variety which is pretty low in carbs. You do get used to it and then find the sugary milk chocolate too sweet. Try Green & Blacks 85% Dark.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Once you've tried (and got used to) 100% chocolate even Green & Black's 85% seems quite sweet! You only need a square or two.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you need to lose weight and want to eat some (dark) chocolate, do also check both the carbs and the calorie content in the bar, as some brands can be much higher than others, as I discovered when I was originally looking at which I might eat. :(

Robbity

xayuk

Hi Xayuk,
Sounds like you had a "liver dump".
I have found that reducing the carbs enabled easy weight loss.
Long working days followed by a single main meal are not a good way to go, but sometimes unavoidable.
My suggestion would be: egg based breakfast accompanied by mushroom, tomato or bacon.
Try and get something bulky for lunch - coleslaw, fish, salad, cheese, cold meat. John West and other companies do handy little pots of fish with salad. Holland and Barrett sell a vegetarian high protein "sausage" called pepperoni that is quite good for a bit of heft in the stomach.

Pasta has a high glycaemic load - I try to avoid it. You could try replacing it with buckwheat noodles to delay but not reduce your glucose spike..
When you join the diabetic club your notions of eating have to undergo a paradigm shift.

Good luck, best wishes

Adam
Thank you for your reply and help. Yes that is also what I think that must have a" liver dump". What i do not know is why this happens and what should i do about it? Is medicine the only solution or avoiding certain foods is the solution?

Last edited by a moderator:

Eurobuff

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been diagnosed as a diabetic about two years ago and am still struggling to try to control my diabetes with diet as I am trying not to take any medicine. I must say that I am not following the rules as sometimes I even have chocolate which I know is very bad! Today the problem is that in the morning when I woke up my glucose was 9. Ii only had a glass of carbonated water with some lemon and when i tested again after an hour it was 10. I really do not know what is happening as I thought that after an hour with only a glass of water my sugar levels were supposed to go down not up! Has anybody gone through this? I am so confused.

Also certain Kinder Chocolates are quite low if you stick to one piece (or sometimes 2 depending which one it is). The sugar is as low as 85% Dark. If you look for Kinder Choco Bon Bons Pouch, Kinder Mini Choco Pouch,Kinder mini cereals Pouch, Kinder Mini Treats (this one has the most carbs - 6 grams total). Morrisons & Sainsburys seem to have a better selection than Tesco. Also totally unconnected with Kinder, there's Supermilk 65, I cut a bar into 10 pieces which makes each piece 1.8g each in sugar. Unless you have a Hotel Chocolate shop though you would have to buy it online.

sofirose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
hii.
I am in same bote with you.2yr ago my dr said my level r doing good so no need medicine but after few months my levels were high so I started metformin for dinner... Everything was ok but now suddenly my levels are toooo bad specialy in morning... rest m doing same as you :p but i thnk i shud start metformin for lunch too. going to see gp. fx . my level now .. morning 8.. lunch 12 ..dinner 12.. tooo much bad hun . feeling confused:eek:

G

graj0

What i do not know is why this happens and what should i do about it? Is medicine the only solution or avoiding certain foods is the solution?

It happens because your BG goes low and your liver very kindly steps in to make up for it. I have read that eating later in the evening might help, a late night snack might help but more interestingly I've read that eating something in the morning "switches off" the liver dumping. You'd need to check this out because unfortunately I've forgotten where I read it.