Whey protein

Danny Neenan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys I am a type 1 diabetic.i take 4injections a day...I have recently started lifting weights and I am wondering if whey protein shakes are safe?ive tried a sample and sugars were fine afterwards my worry is in relation to injection sights?any info would be greatly appreciated

jodie1981

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there, my partner is a national level competitive power lifter.
I asked him and he said that whey protein is fine to take for type 1 diabetics, the main concern you would have to watch for is the addition of additional sugars to make them taste better. Would have less of an effect when taken immediately post weight training due to the translocation of glut4 from muscle cells (an action normally performed by insulin) which allows the muscle cells to take in glucose from the blood stem in the absence of insulin meaning the effects post training are likely to be less pronounced and less of a worry. (The same does not apply to endurance training)

the debate about high protein levels being bad for kidneys has never been shown to have any negative effect of those with healthy kidneys although can add additional stress to damaged kidneys.

I'm not sure about your question regarding injection sites and why whey protein would have any effect on injection site health?

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In the past I have never had any issues in taking a low carb whey protein, usually it's only 2-5g per scoop and each scoop was 25g or protein.

I stopped taking it because it was just an added expense since I normally ate following my workout so I just made sure I had a higher protein meal.