First time pregnancy - Type 1 - Help!

kayleeanddan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone,

We are Kaylee and Dan and have just found out Kaylee is about 5 weeks pregnant. She is on multiple daily injections of Lantis and Humalog. Her blood levels are relatively good right now, just got a A1C of 6.9 today, but she is a bit concerned after having a few high readings the last several days. This is a first time pregnancy for both of us and we just want to talk to some other people who are going through or have gone through the same process. There's a lot of scary stories on the internet and we are trying to get a good perspective on this to help with the nerves!

Looking forward to talking to you all and appreciate any reliable online sources you can send our way!

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Congratulations to you both :)

The blood sugar targets for pregnant women are stricter than the normal ones, but please, Kaylee, don't panic. I had some highs in early pregnancy but everything was fine. Just correct the high as per the instructions from your DSN.

The first thing you should do, if you haven't already,mis contact your DSN. My local hospital has a special pregnancy DSN. I then saw the whole team early on and have done regularly since. They'll monitor you and help you through pregnancy.

I'm now 34 weeks pregnant. It's been hard work, but it's been ok. You'll get plenty of appointments and extra scans, but I found those reassuring. I didn't find any good book specifically about diabetes and pregnancy,must Think Like A Pancreas has a section on it which explains how your insulin needs will change.

Edited to add - my consultant also prescribed folic acid tablets 5mg (much higher than the normal pregnancy ones) from the moment I was trying to get pregnant and for the first 14 weeks. If you're not on them already, do ask about them.

Last edited by a moderator:

sleepyheadzzz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Congrats!

I found the following resources helpful, but I've found the forum and msg boards the most helpful - nice to talk to or read about actual people currently going through stuff.

JDRF Pregnancy Toolkit
http://jdrf.org/life-with-t1d/pregnancy/

Balancing Pregnancy with Pre-Existing Diabetes
http://www.amazon.com/Balancing-Pregnancy-Pre-existing-Diabetes-Cheryl/dp/1932603328
(I found this book initially stressed me out - it's also US based so I had to go through and convert all the numbers)

VonnyG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi congratulations Iv just had baby no 2, I have 2 perfect healthy babies only thing I can say is don't read anything on internet I found it all scary, just have lots of contact with diabetes team and u'll be fine, they take good care of u, lots of scans and appointments which r reassuring. Just try and enjoy your pregnancy and try not to stress, your sugars will be all over the place through different stages of the pregnancy but you will be helped every step of the way x

popsicle4210

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi congratulations, I would like to back up what Vonny G said earlier. My partner and I have four kids all of whom are not diabetic. Our eldest is girl is 13, we have twin boys who are 11 and our other daughter is 4. Please Please live your normal life. My blood sugars were up and down and was always told to try to do things different. My dosage was put up to try and control the levels but it did not seem to work so adjusted them myself. One of our twins has got a disability but has no connection at all to Diabetes. Every person is different don't be scared.
Good Luck Hope you have a beautiful life together.