Reheating chilled pasta (&rice), anyone tried it?

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It works with mashed potato for me, funnily enough just testing wholemeal pasta tonight, just finished it was 5.2 before dinner will let you know how I get on - I had a full portion 50g- a lot more carbs than I usually have but really wanted to try it as I miss pasta, even if I can tolerate it won't be having it regularly - think I prefer the spiralized courgette, but wanted to try it cause I'm curious!

Reactions: 2 people

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I tried it the other day and it had little affect on my BS so I will probably have another go!

Charisma_1630

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can I ask how long does it need to be left to cool for and how do you reheat pasta? Maybe in a pan in a little oil?

Scubamup

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The article and most of the other stuff I've read suggests overnight refrigeration.

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese
Read the thread above on resistant starches
I do this all the time and it works for me. It is important that pasta/rice is cooked and cooled quickly before refrigeration, and doubley important it is only reheated once, preferably on the same day....after cooking, run it under cold water, drain cover and put in the fridge

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can I ask how long does it need to be left to cool for and how do you reheat pasta? Maybe in a pan in a little oil?
I freeze my mash, I cooled the pasta overnight.

Well mixed feelings about the pasta, 1hr - 8.00 (bit too high for me) 2hr - 6.5 - Okish - but I stayed in the 6's for 3 and 4 hour test when usually after 3hrs back in high 4s.

May not have it again, rather have courgette noodles and a slice of garlic bread instead, this is a well tested meal for me that keeps me in the range I am happy with.

Scubamup

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just a quick update. Tried it with two identical chilli n rice meals on two consecutive days. 4.8 to 6.6 on day one, 4.7 to 6.0 on day two after chilling. Need to repeat I think. Meter accuracy could be a factor with such narrow margins.

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You can reheat carbs and it does make them resistant to digestion. Of course, the unpleasant side effect of that is the resulting flatulence.......